9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2007 9:06 AM by (Rick_McCleary)

Perspective Control and Distortion Controls in Camera Raw

I love ACR 4.1. Thanks for a fine product.

For a future release of ACR, is it beyond the bounds of possibility to include the Perspective, Vignette and the Distortion controls directly into ACR?

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Perspective Control and Distortion Controls in Camera Raw
          John_Cornicello_Photo Level 2
          I don't know about Perspective and Distortion, but there is a Vignette control under the Lens Corrections tab.
          • 2. Re: Perspective Control and Distortion Controls in Camera Raw
            Level 1
            You are quite right about the vignetting control. It is the perspective control and the barrel distortion controls that I would like to see as part of ACR

Thanks
            • 3. Re: Perspective Control and Distortion Controls in Camera Raw
              Level 1
              > "It is the perspective control and the barrel distortion controls that I would like to see as part of ACR"

I can accept perspective control being part of Photoshop, at least for a long time. (Although "wouldn't it be nice?")

But I too would like to see barrel/pincushion correction in the Lens tab (both ACR and Lightroom). They are just about my remaining reason to go to the Lens Correction filter in Photoshop, and it is a pity not to have all the main lens corrections in one place.
              • 4. Re: Perspective Control and Distortion Controls in Camera Raw
                Level 1
                Bibble incorporates a very nice lens correction module in their software. It corrects distortion for most lens made (Canon & Nikon, at least). You simply choose the lens from a pop-up, and the correction is made. Quite a nice feature.
                • 5. Re: Perspective Control and Distortion Controls in Camera Raw
                  Level 1
                  > "It corrects distortion for most lens made (Canon & Nikon, at least). You simply choose the lens from a pop-up, and the correction is made. Quite a nice feature".

I use Pentax!

I would be prepared to develop my own presets if that could be done. Although my main lens with that problems has barrel distorion at one end of the zoom range and pincushion distortion at the other, (not a lot - it is a good lens), so it isn't just a matter of choosing a preset by lens.

(If the distortion slider automatically overlaid with a grid, it might be easy to do it by eye each time).
                  • 6. Re: Perspective Control and Distortion Controls in Camera Raw
                    jrsforums Level 1
                    "...Bibble incorporates a very nice lens correction module in their software. It corrects distortion for most lens made (Canon & Nikon, at least). You simply choose the lens from a pop-up, and the correction is made. Quite a nice feature..."

As I remember, that is a built in version of PTLens.

While on the one hand, I would love for it to be built into ACR and/or LR, I would still be going to CS3 to use Focal Blade (or Photokit, if you will) for sharpening, so it is easy enough to use PTLens there.

BTW...PTLens will get all the info from the EXIF data to select the right camera/lens/FL combo. It also includes cromatic correction and a great perspective correction that has a built in "crop" capability. All for only (can't remember exactly) $10 to $15....one of the best price performers out there.

John
                    • 7. Re: Perspective Control and Distortion Controls in Camera Raw
                      Panoholic Level 2
                      >PTLens will get all the info from the EXIF data to select the right camera/lens/FL combo

The Exif data contains only the actual focal length and the maximal aperture value of the lens. These are not enough to identify the lens.

The MakerNote tag may or may not contain some more lens related information, but

1. in most images this is not present (it is not part of the Exif tags),

2. the structure of that data is not published,

3. there is a DNG tag, LensInfo, Adobe's DNG converter creates this tag from the MakerNote, but it contains only the min/max focal lengths and the respective max. apertures. This is still not enough to identify the lens, apart from the fact that the max aperture values are not filled for example in case of Canon lenses and Tamron/Sigma lenses on Canon body (I can state this with certainty only re Canon 20D and 1DsMarkII). Nikon's D100 and D2X shows the max. aperture values.

4. all this is still not enough to identify the lens.
                      • 8. Re: Perspective Control and Distortion Controls in Camera Raw
                        Level 1
                        > "there is a DNG tag, LensInfo, Adobe's DNG converter creates this tag from the MakerNote, but it contains only the min/max focal lengths and the respective max. apertures".

For Pentax, at least, there is also lens information in the XMP exif/1.0/aux namespace. For example, the XMP "Lens" field may say "smc PENTAX-DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL". The clue appears to be that the nearby XMP "LensID" field for that lens says "4 254", and perhaps not by coincidence the corresponding value of Tag63 of the Pentax Makernote is "04 fe".

Since the full lens name doesn't appear to be present in the PEF, I think what is happening is that the DNG Converter is doing a look-up using Pentax Makernote Tag63 to create the XMP values. (Anyone?)

(The corresponding DNG LensInfo field reads just "16.0-45.0 mm f/4.0". I wonder if they are both generated from Tag63, but the XMP field has greater scope for a full name?)
                        • 9. Re: Perspective Control and Distortion Controls in Camera Raw
                          Level 1
                          PTLens is a Windows-only app.

I'm wondering which module is actually incorporated in Bibble. It works quite well. (Perhaps it's LensFix.)