13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2007 1:32 AM by Omke Oudeman

Dilemma

Hudechrome-sd9sPI Level 2
      A nice dilemma for sure!

I am in the middle of a long series of photographing a major garden construction. This started over a year ago and will continue through the end of the year. With the introduction of ACR 4.1, I have a problem. It seems wise to apply a bit of Clarity to the entire project (Clarity is good, don't you think?) but the dilemma is this; A great many images have already been through ACR and continuing with the newer images using Clarity control would introduce an obvious difference. OTOH, if I re-introduce the unclarified images into RAW, I would have to synchronize all of them, thereby upsetting the variations in ACR I applied to various images that were outside the middle ground. I am assuming that to click Synchronize, all images subsequent to that which is the selected image will have all the values of the selected applied, altering any individual variations.

Short of saving them all as tiff and then running them through ACR, what else are the options?
        • 1. Re: Dilemma
          Level 1
          Well, pretty easy to save out a custom subset that ONLY effects "Clarity" maybe several at different strengths such as Clarity 15, Clarity 25, etc so that ONLY Clarity was the setting applied and go through the already set raw files in Bridge an apply the custom subset to groups of images...

Remember, just about EVERY setting inside of Camera Raw can be saved as an indivual setting and applied either from Bridge or Camera Raw...there are some exceptions...for example all 4 of the sharpening settings are combined into one single "sharpeing settings" saved preset...but you could save out multiple settings named for the different subsettings...

Seriously, look into making up saved settings...it makes workin in both Bridge and Camera Raw much more efficient...
          • 2. Re: Dilemma
            Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
            Thanks, Jeff. I eagerly await your book, and in the meantime I'm saving every post of yours. :)
            • 3. Re: Dilemma
              Thank you, Jeff.

I think the answer to my question is to uncheck everything in the synchronize panel except for Clarity, then run the batch. Remember I already have applied corrections and only want to add the Clarity step to those.

What would be better is if I can set an individual parameter such as Clarity without having to mess with the Synchronize panel so as to retro apply settings as a batch for only that parameter. I Opened a couple of images to play this morning and clicking Custom changed the general values before I did anything to the settings.

So to summarize, I want to retro fit Clarity only to hundreds of images as a batch by Selecting All in Bridge and opening in RAW, with no change to any parameter except to add Clarity, then re save as an overwrite.
              • 4. Re: Dilemma
                Doesn't Edit > Develop Settings > Copy Camera Raw settings / Paste Settings work for you? Just asking, scripting is not my cup of tea.

[The dialog box that pops up upon the Paste Settings command allows for applying a single setting or any set or combination of settings.]
                • 5. Re: Dilemma
                  Level 1
                  "I think the answer to my question is to uncheck everything in the synchronize panel except for Clarity,"

Well, yeah if you want to do it the hard way...

I would suggest simply saving out a clarity preset as a saved setting then you can simply ally the preset in Bridge without even having to open up Camera Raw-unless you want to check the clarity amount...
                  • 6. Re: Dilemma
                    i ...simply ally the preset in Bridge...

Is ally a typo?
                    • 7. Re: Dilemma
                      Ann Shelbourne Level 1
                      I think it means "APPLY".

You can apply saved ACR settings to any RAW image (without even opening it) directly from Bridge 2.1 from the Edit menu/Develop Settings .
                      • 8. Re: Dilemma
                        Duh!

Thanks, Ann.:-)

I have much to learn about these new processes. With all the Intel stuff breathing down my neck as well.....
                        • 9. Re: Dilemma
                          i Doesn't Edit > Develop Settings > Copy Camera Raw settings / Paste Settings work for you?

Ah, no, it crashes my computer and upon reboot and opening Bridge, erased the first six images from the Thumbs! They did finally re-appear, and before I purged the cache.

Seems there are too many situations like this floating around CS3.

I will not be using "Develop Settings". More like "Develop Crashes".
                          • 10. Re: Dilemma
                            Ann Shelbourne Level 1
                            "Develop Settings" certainly works flawlessly on my G5 under OSX 10.4.9.

Perhaps there is some underlying corruption in your OS?
                            • 11. Re: Dilemma
                              Fresh install Ann. Of course, that doesn't rule out an OS corruption. I am seeing it nowhere else, and that suggests a hardware issue, perhaps with margins being exceeded. A bit of noise and "poof"!

Actually, I will be messing with it this weekend and let it show me the blue screen. it may be an anomaly.

Losing the first six thumbnails was disconcerting. I could click in the blank area and get a preview. The image I was checking out "Develop Settings" wasn't even in that mix!
                              • 12. Re: Dilemma
                                Re: #2 Somewhat disappointing news today:

Hello from Amazon.com.

We're writing about the order you placed on September 06 2007 16:59 PDT
                                Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below has
                                changed, and we need to provide you with a new delivery estimate based on the new release date:

Bruce Fraser (Author), Jeff Schewe (Author) "Real World Camera Raw
                                with Adobe Photoshop CS3 (Real World)" [Paperback]
                                Estimated arrival date: 12/18/2007 - 12/20/2007

Just a few days before Xmas.
                                • 13. Re: Dilemma
                                  Omke Oudeman Level 5
                                  Same here but other estimated arrival:

Hello from Amazon.com.

We're writing about the order you placed on August 15 2007 14:02 PDT
                                  (Order# 103-9612489-2402249). Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below has
                                  changed, and we need to provide you with a new delivery estimate based on the new release date:

Bruce Fraser (Author), Jeff Schewe (Author) "Real World Camera Raw
                                  with Adobe Photoshop CS3 (Real World)" [Paperback]
                                  Estimated arrival date: 11/19/2007 - 12/04/2007

And this one also delayed:

Hello from Amazon.com.

We're writing about the order you placed on August 15 2007 14:02 PDT
                                  (Order# 103-9612489-2402249). Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below has

David Blatner (Author), et al "Real World Adobe Photoshop CS3 (Real
                                  World)" [Paperback]
                                  Estimated arrival date: 12/20/2007 - 01/09/2008

Maybe it is just wishful thinking but should this mean there will be a major update for Bridge that is described in this books. A Bridge version with full function cache management, batchrenaming and handling great amounts of files without having to wait endless on rebuilding preview, moving files around trough Bridge without problems... :-)