1 2 Previous Next 46 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2007 10:05 AM by Hudechrome-sd9sPI

New D80 ... NEF problems

I just got a new D80. I had a D70s before. The only major hardware difference is that it takes SD card verses CF cards.

I took about 80 pictures last night. When I go to transfer them to the computer with Image Capture, the first 35 or so have image icons. The rest - don't. In Bridge, 1-35 show up and have EXIF data and I can open them. The rest do not have EXIF data, no icons and I get message in Photoshop saying: Cannot open because Photoshop does not recognize this file format.

Why can it recognize the first 35 and not the rest of them? There is data in these weird files. There is a file size and I viewed these in the camera last night!

I'm currently at work with just the card, reader and computer. Is this a bad card? It's the only one I have at the moment and it's a PQI. SanDisk cards (my normal brand) will be here on Friday.

I checked and made sure I had all the updates for PS and ACR. Would it be bad to put this card back in the camera and check it again when I get home?
        • 1. Re: New D80 ... NEF problems
          Hudechrome-sd9sPI Level 2
          For openers, I use a card reader and use Windows to transfer the files to a named folder. I don't know what is proper for Mac, but i would think such a procedure would also be available.

I used Bridge recently to do the transfer, and while it worked I also had acorruption occur with Bridge itself. It didn't affect the images, but it did seem to cause bridge to not want to reopen.

I have both Kingston and SanDisk CF cards with no differences in handling files. I would format your card after erasing the files and try again just filling up the card randomly to see if it occurs again.

I am not aware of any traps one can have with the D80 that can compromise the image collecting and ID process.
          • 2. Re: New D80 ... NEF problems
            Level 1
            I just got the DNG Converter and that was no help. It got to the weird files and said there was a parsing error - therefore nothing happened with them.

Still have all these useless files ... I would like to salvage the images if possible. Anybody have any suggestions?
            • 3. Re: New D80 ... NEF problems
              Art Campbell Level 3
              Sounds like a card error... did you start out by formatting it, or just start shooting?

I think it's probably a card error, so you may want to download Image Rescue from Lexar, or google for a similar "image rescue" software package to see if you can recover the files.

Art
              • 4. Re: New D80 ... NEF problems
                Level 1
                Thanks Art, I will try that next. I did format the card in the camera before shooting. This is the second time I used the camera/card and before starting - I always format the card(s).
                • 5. Re: New D80 ... NEF problems
                  I've had no problem formatting either Computer or camera, and some folks say camera only, so be sure to format in the camera.

The D-80 manual indicates approved card manufacturers. Kingson (mine) is not on the list, and it works fine, but check your's and see if it is on that list.
                  • 6. Re: New D80 ... NEF problems
                    Level 1
                    I just checked the manual ... the brand that came with it (PQI) is not approved. Great.

I had a Kingston go bad during a shoot. Now I can PQI to my list of Do Not Buy. Guess I'm just a SanDisk Girl.

Thanks guys!
                    • 7. Re: New D80 ... NEF problems
                      The card came with the camera? That was the vendor's choice to do so, not Nikon. AFAIK, Nikon comes from them cardless.

Hated to hear about the Kingston problem. I use their products in RAM as well...

If SanDisk also goed bad, contact Nikon tech support. They are 24/7 and good with whom to deal.
                      • 8. Re: New D80 ... NEF problems
                        John_Cornicello_Photo Level 2
                        Does the camera show the images if you put the card back in it?
                        • 9. Re: New D80 ... NEF problems
                          Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
                          It can be the card, a faulty reader, a bad cable or USB port, a RAM issue or if the distortion did NOT print it could even be a display card problem, But the latter is highly unlikely in this case. :/
                          • 10. Re: New D80 ... NEF problems
                            I would put my money on either the card or a disruption in the recording process incamera.

The fact that she has problems with two suppliers suggest other than the card, however. But, anything is possible. Without both in hand, hard to diagnose.
                            • 11. Re: New D80 ... NEF problems
                              Mercsadies,

I believe that we're having the same problem but the difference is that I used Nikon D50. I was just wondering if you solved the problem because I haven't.
                              I moved raw files from my SD card using Lexar Media card reader and only the half of the images are being recognized by Photoshop. I read up as much as could to figure out what the problem is, but I'm not having any luck...what should I do? Anyone?
                              • 12. Re: New D80 ... NEF problems
                                I've been thinking about it and here's what I would do:

Fill up a card with images. look at the images through the camera first. All there? Note the number of images.

Pull the card and, without downloading, check the number. Does it agree with what the camera says? (The camera will have images yet to go, so you will need to subtract that from the empty total which the camera will tell you, if you have not filled the card). If not, I would suspect the reader. Put the card back in the camera. Any changes? If so, get another reader. If not, try to look at the card with through the usb connection. Now what do you see? Remember, no transfer of information is taking place.

If you see differences, and the reader works with other cards with no problem, I would find another brand card and try again. If the problem persists, check with your camera support.

Another thing to try is to copy the images to the computer, get a count, put the card back in the camera and compare. Look to see if some are corrupt in the computer but not in the camera. or maybe now both viewers show corruption. This would indicate card problems.
                                • 13. Re: New D80 ... NEF problems
                                  I wonder if the camera, though, might show the thumbnails for some images even though the full data is corrupt.

I recently had a situation with a friend where connecting his camera (via USB) or using a USB card reader would not even recognize that there was a card inserted. Same results on a Mac and a PC. The camera showed the images on the card.

I put the card into my camera (a different model from the brand), connected a USB cable, and the computer recognized everything and I was able to download the images and put them on a CD for him.

Never figured out what the reason was. My guess is that it was a problem with the card, but no way to really know.
                                  • 14. Re: New D80 ... NEF problems
                                    My method is rather a gross method to be sure, but is at least a place to try. A process of elimination, as yours is also.

I would suspect the camera in your case, John. You did download the images.
                                    • 15. Re: New D80 ... NEF problems
                                      ooops. The reader didn't work either.

I would suspect the reader also. Unusual, but not unheard of.
                                      • 16. Re: New D80 ... NEF problems
                                        I use the same reader many times a day. Never had any issue except with the one card from this guy. Who knows!
                                        • 17. Re: New D80 ... NEF problems
                                          There's an unbelievable amount of fake cards out there.
                                          • 18. Re: New D80 ... NEF problems
                                            Why fake in one camera and not the other?

I would want to look at some of this stuff! If it's that bad, then all bets are off. Beginning to sound more like a standards problem.

I'd do some research but I have so much to do, I can't even get well oriented on CR 4.1. And I really need to.
                                            • 19. Re: New D80 ... NEF problems
                                              > Why fake in one camera and not the other?

Only a jerk or an imbecile would make that inference from my post.

Obviously a fake card is fake in ANY damned camera. But fake cards are virtually always of inferior quality and prone to fail under some circumstances and not others. Some will fail outright, but others may not.

It doesn't take much to imagine, for instance, that the contacts may ill fit one camera while barely being functional in another.
                                              • 20. Re: New D80 ... NEF problems
                                                Only a an egomaniac would think that comment was aimed at him!

The question is perfectly valid. While I would have used another word than "fake", the result is the same.

And if you have a truly fake card, it would not work anywhere.

Take fake money to a bank. Only a jerk or an imbecile would accept it! :D

Bad contacts do not equate to fake contacts. I had a capacitor today on a mobo that had cold solder joints and was wobbling around like a loose tooth. It certainly wasn't fake, but the board sure behaved as if it was.

Geeze!
                                                • 21. Re: New D80 ... NEF problems
                                                  >While I would have used another word than "fake", the result is the same.

But you DIDN'T use another word. And your question was asinine, as puerile and idiotic as a rhetorical question can be.

> Why fake in one camera and not the other?

Enjoy your head banging; it might soften it.
                                                  • 22. Re: New D80 ... NEF problems
                                                    That's your head banging!

You know little about hardware and how it works, Ramon. No hardware person uses fake to describe such a problem.

Maybe you are verbally challenged. Ok. My bad.

Another word, my word: Defective.
                                                    • 23. Re: New D80 ... NEF problems
                                                      No, I meant FAKE, as in forgery. Sort of like you.
                                                      • 25. Re: New D80 ... NEF problems
                                                        You are a presumptuous, haughty windbag with an exaggerated sense of self-importance.

>No hardware person uses fake to describe such a problem.

This sentence alone reveals your ignorance and limitations. "FAKE" is exactly the word used by the hardware manufacturers themselves. Click on the above link.

Guess your poor vision has kept you from reading anything in the last few decades. That would also explain why you live in the past.
                                                        • 26. Re: New D80 ... NEF problems
                                                          Took you a long time to dig that up, and I don't think that's what you originally meant by fake. Otherwise you would have posted it immediately.

Obviously, by fake here it means a card that is carrying their look alike logo, and are not their manufacture. It certainly does not guarantee that the cards won't work. What it does guarantee is that if a defective one shows up, SanDisk will not honor their guarantee. It has nothing to do with the discussion here. Fake SanDisk it says, not fake cards. Inferior maybe. They are fake by virtue of labeling, not necessarily performance.

So if you want to throw the fake SanDisk into the mix, fine. It's a proper warning. But you simply do not know who you are trying to insult. And it only makes a laughing stock of yourself. I spent many years doing Component Evaluation for Tektronix and I can tell you that fake products carrying a reputable manufacturer's name have been around for a long time, and carry a special category for themselves. They are completely outside the realm of true, authentic procducts with their particular defects. Strangely, some of the faked products actually performed better than the parts they were mimicking. Rather rare, and sad, but true.

i You are a presumptuous, haughty windbag with an exaggerated sense of self-importance.

Pointing fingers again, eh, Ramon? Remember one finger points out while three point back.

Say, you ought to get a job writing slamming fortune cookies. You are GOOD!

Imagine opening a Fortune Cookie and getting:

" You are a presumptuous, haughty windbag with an exaggerated sense of self-importance.'

Good for a big laugh!:D
                                                          • 27. Re: New D80 ... NEF problems
                                                            No, it "didn't take me a long time" to do nothing! I had the eBay article very much in mind when I wrote post #17. I knew exactly where to retrieve it on eBay.

I've been working on Photoshop and following other pursuits that have nothing to do with this forum or you.

Your last post amply validates all my previous posts.

Following that line, I have a hunch that if I called you a son of a *****, you would reply by posting a picture of you among a litter of puppies feeding on a real female canine animal.
                                                            • 28. Re: New D80 ... NEF problems
                                                              # 17:

Ramón G Castañeda - 4:19pm Jun 8, 07 PST (#17 of 26)

There's an unbelievable amount of fake cards out there.
                                                              • 29. Re: New D80 ... NEF problems
                                                                Ok you win..again! Why don't you call me an S.O.B. and see what happens? I guarantee it won't be as you think.

Now take your warm milk and go to bed.
                                                                • 30. Re: New D80 ... NEF problems
                                                                  michael shaffer Level 1
                                                                  Ramon writes:
                                                                  > Only a jerk or an imbecile would make that inference from my post.

Larence writes:
                                                                  > Only a an egomaniac would think that comment was aimed at him!

Ramon writes:
                                                                  > You are a presumptuous, haughty windbag with an exaggerated sense of self-importance.

Lawrence writes:
                                                                  > Say, you ought to get a job writing slamming fortune cookies. You are GOOD!

You two nuts DO realize this is a public forum, don't you(?) Immature behaviour offers no contribution to this forum ... unless you are both egocentric. Please take it outside!
                                                                  • 31. Re: New D80 ... NEF problems
                                                                    Right about that, michael.

However, by calling us nuts, you have now joined us in immature behavior. :-)

I'm done.
                                                                    • 32. Re: New D80 ... NEF problems
                                                                      Bill_Janes Level 2
                                                                      > Ramon writes:

> Only a jerk or an imbecile would make that inference from my post.

>Larence writes:

> Only a an egomaniac would think that comment was aimed at him!

>Ramon writes:

> You are a presumptuous, haughty windbag with an exaggerated sense of self-importance.

>Lawrence writes:

> Say, you ought to get a job writing slamming fortune cookies. You are GOOD!

>You two nuts DO realize this is a public forum, don't you(?) Immature behaviour offers no contribution to this forum ... unless you are both egocentric. Please take it outside!

The common denominator of such threads is Ramon G Castaneda. When he is not telling someone to RTFM or post elsewhere, he is carrying water for those with whom he wishes to ingratiate himself or antagonizing other forum members with abusive and tasteless language. Some time ago, he behaved so badly in a thread in which I was involved, that the sysop was forced to set the thread to read only.
                                                                      • 33. Re: New D80 ... NEF problems
                                                                        Ann Shelbourne Level 1
                                                                        Some people are more helpful, and a LOT more knowledgeable!, than others here.

Sadly, I don't see too many posts that have been of any real help to anyone coming from the keyboard of Bill Janes.
                                                                        • 34. Re: New D80 ... NEF problems
                                                                          To fix the file corruption problem you must upload the pictures from the camera to the computer via USB cable. Nikon told me NOT to use a card reader. Once I tried this process my pictures came out fine.
                                                                          • 35. Re: New D80 ... NEF problems
                                                                            Is that only to fix the specific corruption problem or does Nikon not want you to use the reader? I have always used the reader and have no problem at all. I even reformat on the computer, again with no problems.
                                                                            • 36. Re: New D80 ... NEF problems
                                                                              > To fix the file corruption problem you must upload the pictures from the camera to the computer via USB cable. Nikon told me NOT to use a card reader.

That is a ludicrous certificate of poverty issued by Nikon to themselves. :|

This excerpt is from a long-gone post by author Bruce Fraser:

Bruce Fraser - 4:17pm Jun 14, 04 PST (#5 of 21)

Opening files directly from the camera is a bad idea for a variety of reasons*, and it most certainly isn't faster than using a FireWire or USB2 card reader.

Drains the camera battery

Runs the risk of the software you're using to open the images writing to the card and destroying the format

Runs a small but significant risk of USB power frying the camera

Slowest method known to mankind of getting images off a CF or SD card
                                                                              • 37. Re: New D80 ... NEF problems
                                                                                Some of Bruce's concerns are specious. Frying the camera electronics is one of them. With the D80, battery voltage is 8V, and the DC voltage from USB2, IF PRESENT, is 5V. The electronics have to be able to accept the rail voltage of 8V, so 5V is a no-brainer. If a camera came back from the field with fried electronics via USB, I would fire the designer!

Now since the camera is battery powered, the connector very likely does not have 5V present, as the designer can opt out of using the computer power supply to connect to the camera. Supplying 5V through USB is optional.

So the risk of damage would be vanishingly small, non-existent IMO.

So far as damaging data on the card by the software, the same software is used in both cases, ie the computer default software, unless specified otherwise.

Now the most serious risk to connecting the camera to the computer is not even mentioned....static discharge. If you plug into the computer without first discharging any static buildup, that can fry some electronics. Removing the card and plugging into a card reader removes that possibility. I have had static discharge show up when plugging in the card reader, and sometimes it is severe enough to cause the system to reboot.

I haven't check up load speed between methods, but since USB2 is employed in both, the camera itself would have to be the bottleneck, and the statement may be valid. Worth a check.

One of these days when I have nothing else to do.... :-)
                                                                                • 38. Re: New D80 ... NEF problems
                                                                                  >Frying the camera electronics

has been reported at least once in this very same forum. I had marked the message, but it has since scrolled off the archives. Ive read one other such report elsewhere.

In both cases the culprit was said to be a grossly malfunctioning USB port on the PC. (Yup, no Macs were involved. :p)

Admittedly, it is a (most) remote possibility.

I skipped you electrobabble. :D
                                                                                  • 39. Re: New D80 ... NEF problems
                                                                                    No other PC's either! :D

I figured you might skip the babble, but for the others, if they are so inclined, at least I don't have to revisit the theme.

What makes me wonder is if it was a static discharge instead. I wish you had the link.

If it was actually the computer wiring, it would blow everything ever connected to it, not just the camera. It is remote indeed that only the camera gets fried.
                                                                                    1 2 Previous Next