13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2011 6:08 PM by ptatphiliptdotcom

.XMP files no longer appear as sidecars--how to clear metadata?

Photoshop CS2 ver 9.0.2
      Bridge ver 1.0.4.6
      ACR ver 3.7
      eMac G4 800 MHz
      Mac OS X ver 10.4.9
      1 Meg RAM
      12 GB available disk space

Bridge and Photoshop are set to save metadata in .XMP sidecar files, but sidecar files no longer appear. That is, up till a few days ago, .XMP files appeared when I opened raw files, but no longer. The drop-down menu is still set to save metadata in sidecar files.

Cannot clear metadata in Bridge. I can select "Camera Raw Defaults" in ACR, but that doesn't clear cropping.

1) How do I return already-stored metadata to .XMP files?
      2) How do I get PSCS2 to store future metadata as .XMP files?
      3) How do I clear metadata currently stored in ACR/PS database?
      4) What did I do to cause system to store metadata in ACR/PS database despite being set to save in sidecar files?

Thanks.

--HC
        • 1. Re: .XMP files no longer appear as sidecars--how to clear metadata?
          Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
          Check your preferences in Bridge's View menu. Check Show Hidden Files.
          • 2. Re: .XMP files no longer appear as sidecars--how to clear metadata?
            Level 1
            Thanks, Ramón, I tried that but it didn't help.

It reveals a file named ".DS_Store," but it only appears in Bridge.

The Finder still shows no .XMP files.

Hmm. Maybe I should delete ".DS_Store"?

Thanks for the suggestion!

--HC
            • 3. Re: .XMP files no longer appear as sidecars--how to clear metadata?
              Greg Barnett Level 2
              Not a good idea... They are system files associated with the Finder, below is from an Adobe tech note on the subject.

"The .DS_Store files are created by the Macintosh OS X Finder. The these files keep track of folder view options, icon positions, and other visual information about folders."

Have you tried deleting the Bridge prefs? Also purge the cache for the problem folders. Sounds like something got corrupted along the way.
              • 4. Re: .XMP files no longer appear as sidecars--how to clear metadata?
                Level 1
                Greg--
                Fantastic help!

I trashed the prefs and purged the cache and am at least back to getting .XMP files when I open new raw files.

I should have thought of the prefs files but didn't. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'll count this as a problem solved.

Thanks!

--HC
                • 5. Re: .XMP files no longer appear as sidecars--how to clear metadata?
                  ptatphiliptdotcom

I'm in a situation that need to know the exact answer to this particular question:

"How do I return already-stored metadata to .XMP files?"

The answer thread didn't actually answer that question (which was irrelevant to the original poster, but not me).

I've gotten myself into the situation where I don't have a backup of my metadata database on a system that crashed (learned my lesson, I'll use those annoying .XMP files from now on), but I *do* have a backup of the images on another system, and that system DOES have the metadata in its database.  (However, the files are in a backup directory, so presumably I can't copy the database from one system to the other because the references to the files are not correct--among, probably, other reasons.)

So, it seems to me that perhaps if I could transfer the data from that database to XMP files, I could then move the XMP files to the corresponding live directories--except that I need to CREATE those XMP files from the metadata in the Adobe database (maintained by Bridge).  That would work, right?

(Note: the backup that has the metadata is NOT an exact match of my current files; would just have to make do with the .XMP files I could get that have corresponding filenames to the live data.)

Any help would be much appreciated!

Aloha,

Philip T.

pt@philipt.com

• 6. Re: .XMP files no longer appear as sidecars--how to clear metadata?
                    Noel Carboni Level 7

ptatphiliptdotcom wrote:

I *do* have a backup of the images on another system, and that system DOES have the metadata in its database.  (However, the files are in a backup directory, so presumably I can't copy the database from one system to the other because the references to the files are not correct--among, probably, other reasons.)

I wouldn't be sure the database can't be copied, but I'm no expert in its format.

How did you get the metadata into a second database?

-Noel

• 7. Re: .XMP files no longer appear as sidecars--how to clear metadata?
                      ptatphiliptdotcom Level 1

Noel,

Thanks for your reply!

Data into 2nd database: I had Bridge on another system &  the drive was

shared (with the same drive letter on the 2nd system) & had Bridge on

the 2nd system index the images independently--so it created its own

database of the same files on a different computer (using the same drive

letters as on the first computer).

Make sense?

-pt

• 8. Re: .XMP files no longer appear as sidecars--how to clear metadata?
                        Noel Carboni Level 7

I'm not completely sure that Bridge indexing of raw files involves accumulation of Camera Raw data that was set on another system.  Could you be confusing cache with settings?

Here's my thinking:

1.  You open a raw file on system A, and set a bunch of sliders a certain way.

2.  Camera Raw stores the metadata in its central database on system A, in \Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw.

3.  You access the raw files from system B using a mapped drive.

4.  You run Bridge on the files.

At step 4 I get a little fuzzy...  How does Bridge get the data out of system A's central database and into the one on system B?

-Noel

• 9. Re: .XMP files no longer appear as sidecars--how to clear metadata?

Noel,

Excellent point.  I have no idea.  Maybe this was only working for

.PSDs/etc. (which contain the metadata embedded in the file itself[,

right?]).  I may have been deluding myself this whole time.  It's

possible that it never really worked the way I thought it did to begin with.

But, more specifically, here's the current question:  If I have this

file (which is a backup from long ago):

J:\backup of M90\Documents and Settings\philipt\Application

Data\Adobe\CameraRaw\Database

...assuming that drives are currently mapped (by drive letter) the same

way they were when that backup was made), can I just replace the current

file:

C\Documents and Settings\philipt\Application Data\Adobe\CameraRaw\Database

...with the one from J: and expect it to work correctly?

What's the worst that can happen if I do this?

BTW, the file on J: is 2,569 Kb; the (new) one on C: is 2,754 Kb.  This

doesn't seem to bode well, since the old one (J:) should have much, much

more data in it (assuming that the "Database" file per se is where the

metadata is stored): the older file has complex,

multi-tiered data for 10s of 1000s of images.  "??"

Thanks again for your willingness to help with this!!

Aloha,

-pt

• 10. Re: .XMP files no longer appear as sidecars--how to clear metadata?
                            ablichter Level 2

I wonder what you mean when talking about "metadata", respectively your "metadata database". By this I wonder what you want to restore.

In the ACR database - as the name says - IMHO only the ACR settings are stored.

No keywords, IPTC or so... Those data are either stored in xmp-files (for RAW) or written to the images or kept in special files like f.e. Bridge does it.

Aside having metadata in a dedicated database, I also wrote all metadata to the images (incl. RAW, even when its official not supported)

ACR settings (which are not so important for me) are stored in the ACR database.

So here metadata are travelling with the images and if needed they can be exported from images to xmp-files by certain applications (f.e. exiftool).

• 11. Re: .XMP files no longer appear as sidecars--how to clear metadata?

ablichter,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not so worried about the ACR data (although that is secondarily

important) as I am about the keywords, IPTC data: the latter types are

my primary concern.

You say: "kept in special files like f.e. Bridge does it."  Do you know

the name of those files where that info is kept?  That's really what I'm

looking for.  (Also, not sure what you mean by "f.e."?)

Aloha,

-pt

• 12. Re: .XMP files no longer appear as sidecars--how to clear metadata?
                                Noel Carboni Level 7

I'm sorry, I misinterpreted your needs earlier and without thinking too hard focused on stored Camera Raw settings.

I really don't know where the IPTC, et. al. information is kept for raw files.  I might suggest an experiment:  Do directory of your entire hard drive into a log file, modify some of the data you're interested in, then do another directory into a different log file.  Compare the logs and see what files have changed.

-Noel

P.S., I read "f.e." as "for example".

• 13. Re: .XMP files no longer appear as sidecars--how to clear metadata?

Noel,

Excellent suggestion.  Thanks!  I'll try that.

-pt