6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2007 4:37 PM by Ramón G Castañeda

Elements 3.0 & raw with K10D

I'm affraid I've read so much in this forum that I've become confused about compatibility. I have the Pentax K10D and Elements 3. Can someone tell me if version 3.6 of camera raw will work with the K10d and Elements 3. My eyes are starting to bleed from all the reading. Please help....Thanks...Mike
        • 1. Re: Elements 3.0 & raw with K10D
          Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
          Mike,

The K10 is supported by Adobe Camera Raw 3.7 (ACR 3.7).

Now, to run ACR 3.7, you would need the full version of Photoshop CS2 (Photoshop 9.0.2) or Elements 4, I believe.

Not many of us here are familiar with Elements. Please double check by posting in the elements forum:

http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.eeb4f8b/
          • 2. Re: Elements 3.0 & raw with K10D
            ArrrBee Level 1
            However, since DNG is supported by the version of ACR that you have with
            Elements 3.0 if you shoot in DNG with the Pentax K10D you should have no
            trouble working with the images in your version of ACR. Also, as a side note
            the K10D (I have this camera myself) doesn't compress the DNG files only the
            PEF files so I run all of my DNG files through Adobe's free DNG Converter
            program with the lossless compression option on. I find this reduces the DNG
            files sizes by about half.

Robert
            • 3. Re: Elements 3.0 & raw with K10D
              Level 1
              Thanks Robert. I've only shot jpeg up until now. I always found raw a bit intimidating. However all of the reviews and forums on the K10 say raw is considerably better than jpeg so I figure I'm wasting one of the cameras best features shooting jpeg. So I guess the next step is to download the DNG converter.
              • 4. Re: Elements 3.0 & raw with K10D
                Level 1
                Robert, I'm still running Elements 3 and it loks like the DNG converter will only work with Elements 4.0 or later? I'm looking at the Adobe web site but i can't find a converter version that would work with Elements 3. Does that sound right to you? I guess I may have to upgrade to version 5. Thanks...Mike
                • 5. Re: Elements 3.0 & raw with K10D
                  JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                  I don't think that's right. You should be able to use the very latest version of the DNG converter (i.e. 4.1) to convert your raw images to the digital negative format. Those DNG files should be compatible all the way back to ACR 2.4. That may not be true of your camera created DNG files, but anything processed with the DNG converter should work with Elements 3.
                  • 6. Re: Elements 3.0 & raw with K10D
                    Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
                    What Jim says. The DNG Converter is a syand alone application that does not need any other program to run. It launches and runs on its own.

And, as Jim says
                    > Those DNG files should be compatible all the way back to ACR 2.4. That may not be true of your camera created DNG files, but anything processed with the DNG converter should work with Elements 3.