5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2007 11:41 AM by (Marcel_Booth)

ACR 4.1 Drawing Failed Problem with Viewer

b2martin_a Level 2
      When I view an image that was converted from NEF file to JPG using ACR 4.1 with Widows Picture and Fax viewer and I click on the button to make it zoom to 100% size I get an error "Drawing Failed" rather than a 100% image size. I can rotate the mouse wheel one click either way and the image will appear at a size slightly larger or smaller that 100%. I can then click the wheel back to the initial location and I have a 100% image.

This problem first appeared with ACR 3.7 and DNG 3.7 - I do not have this problem with ACR 3.6 or earlier versions. I reported this to Adobe for ACR 3.7 and hoped it would be corrected for ACR 4.

Anyone know of a solution to this problem other than changing viewers?
        • 1. Re: ACR 4.1 Drawing Failed Problem with Viewer
          Wolf Eilers Level 4
          >Anyone know of a solution to this problem other than changing viewers?

Which begs the question: do these jpeg images appear OK in other viewers or even Photoshop or Bridge?

I cannot duplicate the problem and I use ACR 3.7 with PS CS2.
          • 2. Re: ACR 4.1 Drawing Failed Problem with Viewer
            b2martin_a Level 2
            I don't have a problem with the JPG's in Photoshop, have not tried other viewers. I have Windows XP Professional with all updates and the problem only appears if I use ACR 3.7, DNG 3.7, and ACR 4.1. I have not downloaded the DNG converter available with ACR 4.1. I did have another person try this on their computer and they get the same results.

I ran a test with CS2 and ACR 3.6, DNG available with ACR 3.6, ACR 3.7 and DNG available with ACR 3.7. The only combination that did not have the Drawing Failed problem was ACR 3.6 and DNG 3.6. All others had the Drawing Failed problem (ACR 3.7 and DNG 3.6, ACR 3.6 and DNG 3.7, and ACR 3.7 and DNG 3.7).

I find that if you click on the 100% button and rotate the mouse wheel one or more clicks that you then get an enlarged view. You can then click on the full screen button and then the 100% button works without rotating the mouse wheel until you close the image and start over.
            • 3. Re: ACR 4.1 Drawing Failed Problem with Viewer
              I have the same problem! (with Canon 20D)

It's really weird that the beta version didn't have that problem (shame you can't use it anymore). Hope this major flaw gets fixed, because it also destroys the exif data from the pictures (and I wonder what else).

One odd thing though: when you process jpegs through ACR, they work flawlessly.
              • 4. Re: ACR 4.1 Drawing Failed Problem with Viewer
                b2martin_a Level 2
                Has anyone reported this problem to Adobe?
                • 5. Re: ACR 4.1 Drawing Failed Problem with Viewer
                  I get this but it seems to be in recent images exported from Lightroom, to JPEG.

Wel,l I say this problem, mine's slightly different. It doesn't matter on the level of zoom. It just seems to be a random error thrown up by Windows Picture and Fax viewer, when viewing said JPEGs.