6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2007 7:04 PM by Ramón G Castañeda

opening jpegs in Camera Raw 4.1?

Level 1
      I just received some jpegs from Getty and I decided to see what they looked like when I opened them using ACR as opposed to just opening them in PSCS3. What I found was that with the default settings the files from ACR had less saturation? The jpegs had no profile embedded, so when I opened the jpeg in PS, I assigned Adobe RGB (1998), which is what was used in ACR. I am just trying to figure out what is the benefit of opening up a jpeg in ACR?
        • 1. Re: opening jpegs in Camera Raw 4.1?
          JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
          Although recovering highlight and shadow detail will not be as dramatic when working with JPEGs in Camera Raw, I find it very useful to use the different controls to make adjustments to my images. I have also found that I have made a dramatic change in the amount of time it takes me to process a batch of images. I now routinely load groups of JPEG images into camera raw, make adjustments and synchronize all images wherever possible. It has made photo editing seem almost effortless compared to what I was doing before. I now find that I can do most of my editing in Camera Raw without ever having to open the images in Photoshop.

In many instances, I find that I can simply use the Image Processor to open my images and prepare them so that I can send them to a local lab for processing. That is one area where I find Photoshop/Bridge very useful. The only problem I'm having with Camera Raw is that I have not yet figured out how to use the redeye tool. So in my last batch of pictures of my little granddaughter, the only editing I did in Photoshop was to use the redeye tool on a couple of the pictures. Camera Raw pretty much did everything else for me.
          • 2. Re: opening jpegs in Camera Raw 4.1?
            Mathias Vejerslev Level 2
            If the images had no profiles, they are likely to be sRGB.
            • 3. Re: opening jpegs in Camera Raw 4.1?
              Level 1
              "It has made photo editing seem almost effortless compared to what I was doing before. I now find that I can do most of my editing in Camera Raw without ever having to open the images in Photoshop."

I agree Jim. I've gone through several important games that I shot in the past with four different bodies. Those shot for one client are always in RAW. Two others insist on JPEGs, sometimes the smallest that a camera can do.

CR 4.1 is doing a great job of being able to almost totally avoid Photoshop. I have some issues with posterization and sharpening but the various forum discussions are giving me some direction during the steeper than expected learning curve.
              • 4. Re: opening jpegs in Camera Raw 4.1?
                Peter DL Level 1
                >> I have some issues with posterization...<<

From what I read, it could help to convert to 16 bit TIFFs first:
                http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=16985&view=findpost&p=119012

Peter

--
                • 5. Re: opening jpegs in Camera Raw 4.1?
                  I have a Sony Digital DSC-S70 camera. Would digital raw capture work with my camera?
                  • 6. Re: opening jpegs in Camera Raw 4.1?
                    Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
                    George,

Can your camera even shoot and record RAW images? I don't think so.

The camera has to be able to produce RAW images in the first place,