6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2007 5:44 AM by don solomon

Things about shadows...

I have downloaded the CS3 trial and Camera Raw 4.1 for Windows. Great improvements compared to current Lightroom adjustments!

However, there is one feature I suggested during Lightroom Beta development which I think would do good for noise reduction using many cameras, and which you at Adobe (assuming you read this) may want to consider.

There is currently no way to selectively reduce saturation in the deepest shadows. Doing so would provide the means of reducing both (a) errors in "shadow tint" that can come from aggressive white balance adjustments, and (b) a great deal of the "chroma" shadow noise.

I find that especially in photos taken in tungsten lighting indoors using available light at high ISO, there remains a great deal of blue noise in the deep shadows even after using high settings for colour noise reduction. This can be counteracted by adjusting shadow tint (disadvantage: also some of the lighter tones turn greenish) or by boosting colour noise reduction further (disadvantage: there is still some fuzzy remnant of blue noise in the deepest shadows - it's no longer sharp "snow" but rather like subtile and somewhat uneven blue "clouds" due to the smoothing that the noise reduction does).

I find also that Canon's own RAW conversion software handles this better. By analyzing the results I have seen that one reason for this is that Canon's software reduces saturation in the deep shadows more than Camera Raw can do (= no reduction at all).

It may seem that there is another possible trick: using split toning and adding in a bit of the "opposite" hue in the shadows. However, the threshold between highlight and shadow in this tool isn't steep enough to allow this to be useful in correcting the tint of the deep shadows only.

To be useful, I think the shadow saturation reduction should work so that you could set both the strength and the threshold (i.e. below which tone it sets in). Perhaps even the steepness of the threshold could be adjusted.