8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2007 7:52 PM by (Eliot_Nierman)

Clarity

What does the clarity slider control?
        • 1. Re: Clarity
          JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
          http://photoshopnews.com/2007/05/31/about-camera-raw-41/
          • 2. Re: Clarity
            Level 1
            According to the Photoshop news piece:

"Clarity
            New Control available in the Basic panel. Clarity adds depth to an image by increasing local contrast. When using this setting, it is best to zoom in to 100% or greater. To maximize the effect, increase the setting until you see halos near the edge details of the image, and then reduce the setting slightly."

Is clarity the same as the old sharpen control? If not, how is it different?
            • 3. Re: Clarity
              JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
              The sharpening controls have been completely redesigned in Camera Raw 4.1. The article that I gave you a link to discusses the new sharpness controls as well as the new clarify control. I could try to simplify it, but I think the article is worth reading.
              • 4. Re: Clarity
                Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
                Clarity think spot contrast control.
                • 5. Re: Clarity
                  Level 1
                  Thanks for your help. I finally figured it out. It is intended to mimic wide radius sharpening (like high pass sharpening set to a radius of 50 or USM set to 20, 50, 0)on a duplicated layer coupled with blend if to restrict sharpening to mid-range tones. It lacks the precise image control found in Photoshop.
                  • 6. Re: Clarity
                    Level 1
                    "It lacks the precise image control found in Photoshop."

Yep, but has the advantage of being a parametric edit (metadata edit) that can be changed or altered non-destructively....and it's only a single slider to adjust rather than a multi-step process in Photoshop...so, it's your choice. Plus, Clarity is pretty easy and quick to apply to hundreds of images at a time...not so with Photoshop.
                    • 7. Re: Clarity
                      Ralph Eisenberg Level 1
                      It is a significant enhancement that to my mind does not preclude the fine tuning of local contrast of post-conversion files in PS, to state the obvious. It lets me know that a file is in the ballpark, analagous to lightly applied capture sharpening. Irrespective of how it is used, I'm very pleased with this addition to ACR.
                      • 8. Re: Clarity
                        What would your recommendations be for typical starting settings for landscape, portrait, detailed pictures, hazy pictures? Thanks,

Eliot