14 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2007 5:01 PM by Ramón G Castañeda

Batching Files In ACR

Level 1
      I have a bunch of RAW files from a shoot I did yesterday. Rather than edit each image, which is what I am doing, I want to take the changes I made in one file, including saving as a jpg into another folder, and apply them to the rest of the images. How do I accomplish that in Adobe Camera Raw. Still using ACR 4.0 if that makes a difference.

Ive done this using Nikon Capture, but cant figure it out in ACR, and there doesnt seem to be any help in the Help section of Bridge.
        • 1. Re: Batching Files In ACR
          John_Cornicello_Photo Level 2
          There are probably a few ways to do this. Here are a few that I think will work (I'm on a borrowed computer right now without the apps to test it first)...

You can open one image in Camera Raw, make the adjustments, save the adjustments and then select all the other images in Bridge, right-click and apply the saved adjustment.

You might also be able to right-click and apply the previous conversion.

Or use Tools > Photoshop > Image Processor and select to open one file in Camera Raw and then have it process all the other images based on that and save them out as a TIF, JPG, and/or PSD file.

Others may have other methods.

John
          • 2. Re: Batching Files In ACR
            Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
            Wingspar,

Update your ACR to ACR 4.1 ASAP.
            • 3. Re: Batching Files In ACR
              Level 1
              Thank you John. Opening one image in Camera Raw, making the adjustments, saving the adjustments and then selecting all the other images in Bridge, right-clicking and apply the saved adjustment worked slick. I now have to open one by one, crop, and do the final adjustments in CS3, so I can do a save as jpg in the correct folder as I go.

Ramón.... Im slow to do stuff like that. Been procrastinating, but will get it done. Is there a reason it should be done urgently?
              • 4. Re: Batching Files In ACR
                Ann Shelbourne Level 1
                >I now have to open one by one, crop, and do the final adjustments in CS3, so I can do a save as jpg in the correct folder as I go. >

You don't, you know!

Just multi-select the images that you want to use in Bridge.

Go to Bridge/Tools menu/Photoshop/Image Processor.

Set things up as you want them (width and height just set the maximum sized "Box" that all images whether landscape or portrait will fit into); and click "Run".

And you are done!
                • 5. Re: Batching Files In ACR
                  JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                  Another approach would be for you to highlight as many images as you want in Bridge and open all of them at once in ACR. Make all the changes to the first image, then click on the "Select all" button. This will highlight all of the images that are open in ACR, but the first image that you worked on will still be the image that has focus. After you have selected all of the images, just click on the "Synchronize" button. You will be presented with a dialog in which you can choose which settings you want synchronized. Click OK and the settings will be applied to all images. Then, if you are finished and ready to create your JPEG images, leave all the images highlighted and click on the "Save" button. This will provide you with a dialog where you can assign new names for the files if you want to, allow you to choose the format you want, and specify the folder where you want the images saved. After you have made all of your choices click on the "Save" (or is it OK) button, and ACR will finish the job for you.

And you really should update to ACR 4.1 immediately if not sooner! It's more than just an expanded camera list update. There are new controls that normally wouldn't be included except for with a new version of Photoshop. There is no reason whatsoever to stick with ACR 4.0. It is now obsolete.
                  • 6. Re: Batching Files In ACR
                    What Jim says. It would be extremely foolish not to update to ACR 4.1 before processing a single image. Do it now.
                    • 7. Re: Batching Files In ACR
                      Level 1
                      >What Jim says. It would be extremely foolish not to update to ACR 4.1 before processing a single image. Do it now.

Took a while to find the download link, but I downloaded ACR 4.1 just now, but havent installed it yet. Im wondering if this is going to turn ACR or any part of CS3 into a Demo mode, or is this a free upgrade?

I saw a video on 4.1 a while ago, and there is a lot of neat stuff added to 4.1, but since I didnt see where it was deemed a security risk to not update, it went to the back burner.
                      • 8. Re: Batching Files In ACR
                        JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                        ACR is a plug-in that is routinely updated about four times each year. It is only a plug-in. Follow the instructions precisely, putting the plug-in in the exact folder as instructed. Move the older version completely out of the Adobe folder path. Otherwise, ACR will not work. I think the 4.1 update is unique in that new controls were added. Normally that doesn't happen. But there is no security risk involved. It is just a single file that you use to replace an older one. You can do this with complete confidence.
                        • 9. Re: Batching Files In ACR
                          Personally, I advocate nuking the old ACR. Delete it, trash it, empty the trash. Make a copy and zip it before hand, if you are the pessimistic kind. There are reports of Photoshop finding the old ACR plug-in in the un-emptied trash can/recycling bin.
                          • 10. Re: Batching Files In ACR
                            Just moving the old ACR plug-in seems to me very much like putting a used paper tissue in your pocket after blowing your nose, instead of discarding it.
                            • 11. Re: Batching Files In ACR
                              JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                              Yes, I agree with you, Ramon. The only problem is that the people who are asking these types of questions are new at all of this, and they seem to be afraid to delete anything for fear that they might mess up their installation.
                              • 12. Re: Batching Files In ACR
                                >The only problem is that the people who are asking these types of questions are new at all of this

and these are the most likely users to run into problems by keeping multiple versions of the plug-in anywhere on their computer.
                                • 13. Re: Batching Files In ACR
                                  Level 1
                                  There has been the occasional problem that has required some people to go back to an earlier ACR version.

For example, here was such a case:

Thomas Knoll: "There is a bug in the Macintosh version of the DNG Conveter 3.6 and 3.7 in the handling of the white balance from these Nikon cameras. Either go back to version 3.5, or wait for 4.0".

Cajun_Man: "Thomas, I tried version 3.5, and found that the issue still exists in that version as well. Version 3.4, however, did the trick".

http://adobe.groupbrowser.com/t177340.html
                                  • 14. Re: Batching Files In ACR
                                    That's why I suggested keeping a zipped copy.