12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2007 3:07 AM by Ramón G Castañeda

Camera Raw problem

I downloaded and installed Camera Raw 3.7 into CS2. I'm on a Windows XP machine. I'm not sure if the problem is with me or with Photoshop.

First, when I try to open a file with the extension .CR2, I get this message: "Could not complete your request because this version of Photoshop does not supply the services required by this plug-in module." Should I be trying to open a .CR2 file? Or should I try to open a .dng file? I get the same message if I try to open a .dng file.

I know that it's probably a very simple fix ... I've been trying to do this for almost one month. What's interesting is that I have no problems at all opening a Camera Raw file in Photoshop Elements 5.0.

Thanks for your help.
        • 1. Re: Camera Raw problem
          Level 1
          > "Could not complete your request because this version of Photoshop does not supply the services required by this plug-in module."

That is the message I would expect to see when using (say) ACR 2.x or ACR 4.x in CS2. It means the the wrong plug-in is being used - it is not about the raw file at all.

Yet ACR 3.7 is the right plug-in for CS2. Are you certain you have the right one? In Photoshop, try Help > About Plug-in ... > Camera Raw and check the version.
          • 2. Re: Camera Raw problem
            Level 1
            I checked, and it's the right one. One of the things that I noticed is that I had the plug in installed in the Adobe CS2>Plug-ins folder, and I read somewhere that it should be in the common files folder instead. So I removed it from the plug-ins folder and installed it into the common files folder. Now, the message states "Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document." I get this message if I try to open both the .dng and the .cr2 files.

By the way ... I don't see it in Help>About Plug-In any more, either.

AArgh!
            • 3. Re: Camera Raw problem
              JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
              If ACR is not showing up in Help/About Plug-ins, then you have not handled the installation properly. First of all, make sure you have the new plug-in placed precisely in the path in the instructions. Secondly, if you feel that you must keep the older version of ACR make sure you remove it completely from the Adobe folder path. If it is anywhere in the Adobe path it will cause problems.

It doesn't simply go into the Common Files folder. You have to drill down further to get to the exact folder where the plug-in has to be.
              • 4. Re: Camera Raw problem
                John_Cornicello_Photo Level 2
                At this point I would try going into Photoshop > Help > Updates and see if Photoshop sees that it needs a new version of Camera Raw and goes out and downloads and installs it.
                • 5. Re: Camera Raw problem
                  Level 1
                  <Dodie_Pajer@adobeforums.com> wrote in message <br />news:3bc455bd.1@webcrossing.la2eafNXanI...<br />>I checked, and it's the right one. One of the things that I noticed is that <br />>I had the plug in installed in the Adobe CS2>Plug-ins folder, and I read <br />>somewhere that it should be in the common files folder instead. So I <br />>removed it from the plug-ins folder and installed it into the common files <br />>folder. Now, the message states "Could not complete your request because it <br />>is not the right kind of document." I get this message if I try to open <br />>both the .dng and the .cr2 files.<br /><br />Good suggestions from others.  If it still doesn't work, use AcrChecker to <br />dump your ACR installation.  If the problem does not jump out at you, then <br />click the Copy button and paste the text into a reply to this thread.<br />http://curvemeister.com/downloads/acrchecker/index.htm<br /><br />I'm guessing you installed in the wrong subfolder in Common Files.<br />-- <br />Mike Russell  - www.curvemeister.com
                  • 6. Re: Camera Raw problem
                    I seem to have a similar problem, at least I get the same error message. To add to the complication, I use Vista (and I know CS2 is not supported but it seems to work so far).
                    I can't find any RAW plugin and downloading the CS2 version (3.7) it is not an installation file so I don't know what to do with it. Jim mentions instructions - I can't even find them!

Ian
                    • 7. Re: Camera Raw problem
                      Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
                      The instructions are on the download page.

They are also in the FAQs at the top of the page where you found this thread.

As a Mac user I can't tell you off the top of my head where the Camera Raw plug-in goes, but I believe in Windows the plug-in in your platform is named CameraRaw.8bI or something like that. Read the instructions.
                      • 8. Re: Camera Raw problem
                        John_Cornicello_Photo Level 2
                        Ian, can you try going to the Help menu in Photoshop and selecting Updates...? I have no idea if that will work in Vista, but it is worth trying.
                        • 9. Re: Camera Raw problem
                          When I try to open a Canon Raw image in Photoshop Elements 4.0 for Mac I get this message

"Could not complete your request because Photoshop does not recognize this type of file"

I have downloaded Camera RAW 4.1 (33) and installed it in Mac HD/Library/Applications support/Adobe/Plug ins/CS2/File formats.

The images are from a Canon EOS Rebel and an EOS 400D. It happens with images from both cameras.

Pat O'Hare
                          • 10. Re: Camera Raw problem
                            Pat,

My recollection is that ACR4.1 will not work with Elements 4.0 for the Mac. I believe you need to update to 4.1.

CLICK HERE
                            • 11. Re: Camera Raw problem
                              Level 1
                              Thanks Ramón. My version is 4.01. Is that what you mean? Itried to install an update yesterday but it was very strange. It asked me which copy of photoshop I wanted to update and then gave me options I didn't understand.
                              • 12. Re: Camera Raw problem
                                Pat,

Yes, I meant Elements 4.0.1, my bad. Sorry, I was typing from memory. I don't use Elements myself.