1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 3, 2007 2:29 PM by (Curvemeister)

Camera Raw 3.7 update with Elements 4.0 ( OS is Win XP2)

I have Elements 3.0 currently installed. My 4.0 is not an update to PE 3.0; it is the full version of PE 4.0. I believe the proper update for 4.0 is Camera Raw 3.7.

1.)Do I install the Adobe DNG Convertor AND the Camera Raw 3.7 Update, or just the Camera Raw 3.7 Update?

2) Should I uninstall 3.0 prior to the install of 4.0

3.)Please help me understand the exact steps to properly install the 3.7 update: The steps given by Adobe for downloading it to PE 4.0 are:

1. Exit Photoshop Elements.
      2. Open My Computer.
      3. Double-click Local Disk (C:).
      4. Navigate to: (Please read directory carefully)

Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 4.0\Plug-Ins\File Formats

5. Move the existing Camera Raw.8bi plug-in to another location (for example, a new folder on your desktop). Ensure you keep this version in case you need to revert back.
      (WHAT ARE THE EXACT KEYSTROKES TO PROPERLY DO THIS STEP?)

6. Copy the Camera Raw plug-in, Camera Raw.8bi, from the download into the same folder as in Step 4.
      (WHY DOES THE THE MOVED FILE AND THE COPIED FILE HAVE THE SAME NAME?
      WHAT ARE THE EXACT KEYSTROKES TO PROPERLY DO THIS STEP?)

7. Launch Photoshop Elements.(END)

Thanks in advance. I'm trying to not learn the hard way about updating.
        • 1. Re: Camera Raw 3.7 update with Elements 4.0 ( OS is Win XP2)
          Level 1
          <Bob_Coe@adobeforums.com> wrote in message <br />news:3bc45873.-1@webcrossing.la2eafNXanI...<br />>I have Elements 3.0 currently installed. My 4.0 is not an update to PE 3.0; <br />>it is the full version of PE 4.0. I believe the proper update for 4.0 is <br />>Camera Raw 3.7.<br />><br />> 1.)Do I install the Adobe DNG Convertor AND the Camera Raw 3.7 Update, or <br />> just the Camera Raw 3.7 Update?<br /><br />If you have the space, install both. The DNG converter is handy in case you <br />run into any raw files that are not yet supported by ACR.<br /><br />> 2) Should I uninstall 3.0 prior to the install of 4.0<br /><br />Not really - you can keep both of them if you prefer.<br /><br />> 3.)Please help me understand the exact steps to properly install the 3.7 <br />> update: The steps given by Adobe for downloading it to PE 4.0 are:<br />><br />> 1. Exit Photoshop Elements.<br />> 2. Open My Computer.<br />> 3. Double-click Local Disk (C:).<br />> 4. Navigate to: (Please read directory carefully)<br />><br />> Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 4.0\Plug-Ins\File Formats<br />><br />> 5. Move the existing Camera Raw.8bi plug-in to another location (for <br />> example, a new folder on your desktop). Ensure you keep this version in <br />> case you need to revert back.<br />> (WHAT ARE THE EXACT KEYSTROKES TO PROPERLY DO THIS STEP?)<br /><br />It's mostly a click and drag operation, not keystrokes.  Go to Windows help <br />to for more information on how to navigate and copy files.  Once you've <br />opened the specified folder in Windows Explorer, rather than moving it to a <br />new folder, I recomend that you rename the old copy of Camera Raw.8bi to <br />have a ~ as the first character in the name.  This will make Elements ignore <br />the file.<br /><br />> 6. Copy the Camera Raw plug-in, Camera Raw.8bi, from the download into the <br />> same folder as in Step 4.<br />> (WHY DOES THE THE MOVED FILE AND THE COPIED FILE HAVE THE SAME NAME?<br />> WHAT ARE THE EXACT KEYSTROKES TO PROPERLY DO THIS STEP?)<br /><br />The new file is a complete replacement for the old one, and it will not work <br />correctly if there are two copies of the file.  So the name is the same.<br /><br />> 7. Launch Photoshop Elements.(END)<br />><br />> Thanks in advance. I'm trying to not learn the hard way about updating.<br /><br />You're not the only one who has run into this problem. It would be <br />thoughtful for Adobe to provide an installer to accomplish this.  If you <br />have further problems, there is a utility to help diagnose what is wrong:<br />http://curvemeister.com/downloads/acrchecker/index.htm<br />-- <br />Mike Russell  - www.curvemeister.com