12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2007 2:52 AM by PECourtejoie

Just upgraded to cs2, can't get photoshop to recognize raw images

I am new to this. I am windows based, upgraded to cs2, shooting d 30, photo shop wouldn't recognize the images. Said it wasn't supported. Upgraded to 3.7 having same issue. What have I dont wrong?
        • 1. Re: Just upgraded to cs2, can't get photoshop to recognize raw images
          Level 1
          help, help help. I am novice to this. Upgraded to cs2 so I could process d 30 raw images. Windows based sytem. photoshop wouldn't recognize the raw images. Friend said I had to upgrade to 3.7 I think I did it right 4 times. It at least sees the image in file browser, still won't kick into raw mode. Says it isn't supported. Any suggestions from you smart people?
          • 2. Re: Just upgraded to cs2, can't get photoshop to recognize raw images
            Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
            Bob and Louise,

Sorry, but I don't see a Nikon D30 in the list of cameras supported by ACR 3.7. (But then you didn't specify the camera make ;) I just assumed wrong. My bad.)

If you mean the Canon EOS D30, and if you installed ACR 3.7 correctly (and deleted the old ACR plug-in it replaces), then all you may have to do now is purge the cache for each folder containing RAW files. DO NOT go to Bridge Preferences!!! Go to the Tools menu in Bridge: Tools > Cache > Purge the Cache for 'foldername'.

The Purge command in Bridge Preferences is broken. DO NOT use it!!! You would end up with corrupted caches in each and every folder if you're set to Distributed Caches.
            • 3. Re: Just upgraded to cs2, can't get photoshop to recognize raw images
              Level 1
              Ramon, thank you for your response you are right I am shooting a canon d30. I still cannot get get it to recognize the raw files. It comes up with a response that says this photoshop version doesn't supply the services requires by this plug in module?

Also is bridge the same as file browser? I hate to appear so ignorant but I didn't even find a tools menu. I did find under file, cache, purge cache etc. Bob
              • 4. Re: Just upgraded to cs2, can't get photoshop to recognize raw images
                Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
                The Bridge replaced File Browser as of CS2 (Photoshop 9).

In your original post you explicitly mention CS2. You should NOT be using the File Browser from Photoshop CS. That's probably a BIG part of your problem. ACR 3.7 will NOT work in Photoshop CS, nor in the File Browser (which is CS).
                • 5. Re: Just upgraded to cs2, can't get photoshop to recognize raw images
                  michael shaffer Level 1
                  B&L ...

If you goto Photoshop's help menu and "about plugins", which version of Camera Raw do you see? If you see the wrong version, or more than a single instance of ACR, then you need to reverse the 3.7 install you did (however it was done). The best method for updating ACR is to quit PS, restart it, return to the help menu and select "updates". You should see versions available for ACR and most likely Bridge.

HTH :)
                  • 6. Re: Just upgraded to cs2, can't get photoshop to recognize raw images
                    John_Cornicello_Photo Level 2
                    Are you using a Canon D30 or a 30D?

The D30 has been supported for a long time (the camera came out in 2000 or 2001). Support for the 30D was added in Camera Raw version 3.4.

When you say that you see the images in the File Browser are you referring to Adobe Bridge? And are you seeing the actual image or just the filename and an icon?
                    • 7. Re: Just upgraded to cs2, can't get photoshop to recognize raw images
                      robnich
                      Be sure that the Camera Raw plug-in (Camera Raw.8bi) is installed in the proper folder. The correct path is: C:/Program Files/Common Files/Adobe/Plug-ins/CS2/File Formats.

Bob N.
                      • 8. Re: Just upgraded to cs2, can't get photoshop to recognize raw images
                        Level 1
                        thank you for your response. I am not the most experienced knife in the drawer so please bear with me as I will sound like the dullest.

You indicated that the 3.7 must be placed exactly in the right folder. I double click c, click program files, click common files, click adobe, (there is no folder named plug ins)am I doing this wrong?

Also is bridge a separate download?

I'm sorry to take so much of your time.

bob
                        • 9. Re: Just upgraded to cs2, can't get photoshop to recognize raw images
                          Level 1
                          I checked the plug in and it says 3.7, interestingly there is two icons show, both 3.7

I am sorry I am so inexperienced. I appreciate any help you can give me. Is there any phone support to walk me through this?

Bob
                          • 10. Re: Just upgraded to cs2, can't get photoshop to recognize raw images
                            JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                            Where are you seeing two icons? In Help/About plug-ins, or somewhere else? You can only have one copy of that plug-in installed, and it must be installed precisely in the folder path that someone owns and has already given you. If you have one copy installed there, and another copy somewhere in the Adobe folder path, Camera Raw will now work properly.

You asked another question about whether or not Bridge is a separate download. Bridge is installed along with Photoshop. It is a separate program. There is an update that will take your version of Bridge to 1.04, and you want to get that update. Bridge is a separate program. Near the top of the Photoshop window, close to the right-hand side, there is a very small icon that will start Bridge from within Photoshop. You can also start Bridge from the Bridge icon that usually is created on your desktop during installation. If it isn't there, then you should go to the Photoshop folder and create a shortcut. It's also possible to configure Bridge so that it starts when Photoshop starts.

Understanding how to use everything can be a challenge if you haven't been following the evolution of Photoshop. There are some good books and a host of online tutorials that might be of help to you. I will provide you with a link to one website. Be sure to scroll down until you find the CS2 tutorials.

I don't know if I have given you any valuable or useful information. Keep asking, and we will try to help you get going.

Some good tutorials
                            • 11. Re: Just upgraded to cs2, can't get photoshop to recognize raw images
                              robnich Level 1
                              Bob -

Yes, you seem to have looked for the proper folder for the Camera Raw plug-in in the right way, following the path I indicated in my earlier post. However, the Plug-ins folder should be there. I can only guess that the installation of CS3 was faulty in some way. Perhaps you should consider uninstalling and then reinstalling Photoshop CS3.

Bob N.
                              • 12. Re: Just upgraded to cs2, can't get photoshop to recognize raw images
                                PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional
                                What version of Photoshop are you using? Are you using several versions?

Also, as asked in post number 6, is your camera a D30 or a 30D?

If it is CS, you will need to download and use ACR 2.4, and place it there: Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS\Plug-Ins\File Formats

Since the 30D was only supported recently, you'll need to download and use the DNG converter to convert the CR2 files to DNG to open your 30D files with this older version of Photoshop and Camera Raw.

CS2, ACR 3.7 and place it there:
                                Win: \Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-ins\CS2\File Formats\

CS3, 4.1, Win: \Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-ins\CS3\File Formats\