6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2007 8:25 AM by Selby Shanly

Camera RAW 4.1 "rendering intent"

Selby Shanly Level 1
      When Camera RAW 4.1 creates the output in the user selected color space (Adobe RGB, ProPhoto,...), how does it handle out of gamut colors? Is there any way to affect the choice of "rendering intent"?
        • 1. Re: Camera RAW 4.1 "rendering intent"
          Level 1
          Pretty sure it's doing a Relative Colormetric display transform from the color space you've chosen to the computer display profile.

As color space profiles contain only Relative Colormetric rendering (in the future there may be perceptual mapping in v4 ICC profiles but not yet) the only rendering you could possible use is RC.
          • 2. Re: Camera RAW 4.1 "rendering intent"
            Selby Shanly Level 1
            Thanks for the response. I am assuming that Camera RAW creates the image in the Photoshop working space by transforming the RAW image to an imaage in the selected profile (e.g. ProPhoto). I was assuming that the transform to the display profile is a display issue only, not affecting the working space image itself. Are these assumptions correct? If so, independent of display considerations, during the transform from RAW to the color space in the working space (e.g. ProPhoto), what does Camera RAW do with colors that are out of gamut in that space? RC?
            • 3. Re: Camera RAW 4.1 "rendering intent"
              Level 1
              Yep, RC...although Thomas has a habit of adding shall we call them "teaks"...so I don't know that the camera color (raw) to ProPhoto RGB in linear gamma (Camera Raw's internal processing space) to final output color space is _EXACTLY_ a simple RC...would be interesting to get his input.
              • 4. Re: Camera RAW 4.1 "rendering intent"
                Selby Shanly Level 1
                Thanks - this is _VERY_ helpful. Does this imply that if a RAW image contains heavily saturated, out of gamut colors, then these could appears as featureless "blobs"? And yes, I'd like to hear what Thomas has to say as well.
                • 5. Re: Camera RAW 4.1 "rendering intent"
                  Level 1
                  "Does this imply that if a RAW image contains heavily saturated, out of gamut colors, then these could appears as featureless "blobs"?"

That depends...it's generally not the highly staurated colors that are the problem. Ironically most color spaces, even sRGB can handle most all the highly saturated colors in nature that a camera can capture (some of course fall out). But it's the DEEP saturated colors where sRGB and even Adobe RGB fail. Deep yellows (browns) and deep oranges are often capable of being captured by the camera and are contained in ProPhoto RGB but are gamut and saturation clipped in sRGB and even Adobe RGB. And yes, those areas can suffer blobiness...
                  • 6. Re: Camera RAW 4.1 "rendering intent"
                    Selby Shanly Level 1
                    This is a BIG help in resolving a problem I've been wrestling with for some time. BTW - I met you very briefly when you arrived at Michael Reichmann's gallery in May and you answered my question (on PhotoKit Sharpener) then, too. Thanks very much.