4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2007 2:03 PM by JimHess-8IPblY

Photoshop CS Plugin for Canon Digital Rebel XT

I'm trying to access RAW files on my digital Rebel XT through Photoshop CS. I can't seem to find the right version of plugin. I tried 2.4 but it doesn't look like it supports Digital Rebel XT. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
        • 1. Re: Photoshop CS Plugin for Canon Digital Rebel XT
          Level 1
          The Rebel XT support was added in ACR v 3.1:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=2940

Unfortunately, 3.1 requires Photoshop CS2.

You should be able to convert your raw files to DNG format, and then use
          those with your version of ACR.
          • 2. Re: Photoshop CS Plugin for Canon Digital Rebel XT
            JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
            ACR 2.4 is the only version of Camera Raw that is still available for download for Photoshop CS. If your camera was added in no later version of ACR you have two options. The first option is to upgrade to the current version of Photoshop which uses ACR 4.1. It supports a lot more cameras, and yours is one of them. If upgrading is not an option for you, then you should go online and download the latest version of the DNG converter (currently 4.1) and use it to create Digital Negative (DNG) copies of your raw images. Those DNG files can then be opened in Photoshop CS using ACR 2.4.
            • 3. Re: Photoshop CS Plugin for Canon Digital Rebel XT
              Level 1
              Oh man! That is why I can't figure it out!

I have no experience with the DNG converter...how does that work?
              • 4. Re: Photoshop CS Plugin for Canon Digital Rebel XT
                JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                The DNG converter is a stand-alone program that does not rely on Photoshop or any other program to do its thing. It comes packaged with the Camera Raw plug-in, and is updated whenever Camera Raw is updated. Using the converter is very simple:

1. Extract the DNG converter from the zip file and place it wherever you want. The desktop is a good choice.
                2. Locate a folder containing raw images. This can be a folder on your hard drive or a card from the camera.
                3. Drag the folder containing the raw images and drop the folder onto the DNG converter icon.
                4. The DNG converter will start. Choose a destination for your DNG files. Then click on the OK button.

When the DNG converter is finished, just close it and then open Bridge and locate the folder where you told the DNG converter to put your DNG images.