5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2007 8:07 PM by (Chet_Williams)

How to stop JPEG starting ACR 4.1

Level 1
      I have reviewed Jeff Schewes article on ACR 4.1 and the CS3 Help. I have been unable to stop JPEG files from scheduling ACR.

I have checked and unchecked the Always open JPEG files with settings using Camera RAW in the Camera Raw Preferences.

How do you keep JPEG images (and for that matter TIFF files) from scheduling ACR from Bridge.

I am running CS3 on a Windows XP Professional.
        • 1. Re: How to stop JPEG starting ACR 4.1
          Level 1
          Once the image has been touched by Camera Raw you'll need to either "Clear XMP Settings" in Camera Raw/Bridge or double-click with the shift key held down to open while bypassing Camera Raw.
          • 2. Re: How to stop JPEG starting ACR 4.1
            Level 1
            Make sure "prefer camera raw for jpeg and tiff files" is not checked in bridge
            preferences (thumbnails tab).
            --
            Charlie...
            http://www.chocphoto.com
            • 4. Re: How to stop JPEG starting ACR 4.1
              Thomas Knoll Level 2
              There is a preferece in Photoshop's preferences dialog that controls whether all supported JPEG files should use Camera Raw. Uncheck that--that is what you most likely have misset.

The preference in Camera Raw's preferences dialog only controls the case of JPEG files that already have embedded Camera Raw settiings in them. Normally this files override the Photoshop preference, but that preference turns off the override logic.

(This second checkbox really should be in the Photoshop preferences, but we were only updating the Camera Raw plug-in, not the whole Photoshop application).
              • 5. Re: How to stop JPEG starting ACR 4.1
                Level 1
                Thanks to Jeff, Charlie and Thomas. All have added something to the Scheduling of JPEG and TIFF into Camera Raw.

I believe that I have all the information required at this time for my workflow. All of the following is for my clarification.

If I am in Bridge and double click a JPEG or TIFF and hold down the shift key, Camera Raw will not be scheduled

If I am in Bridge and double click a JPEG or TIFF image, the image will always schedule Camera Raw if the Bridge menu item Edit/Preference/Thumbnails has Adobe Camera Raw for JPEG and TIFF checked (Bridge JPEG and TIFF Checked).

If I am in Bridge and double click a JPEG or TIFF image and Bridge JPEG and TIFF is unchecked and the JPEG or TIFF image has previously been processed by Camera Raw, Camera Raw will be scheduled if Camera Raw Preferences dialog has Always open JPEG files with settings using Camera Raw or Always open TIFF files with settings using Camera Raw checked.

If I am in Bridge and double click a TIFF image and the TIFF file has layers, the TIFF file will not schedule Camera Raw.

In Photoshop Preferences (Edit/Preference/File Handling) there is a check box titled Prefer Adobe Camera Raw for JPEG files. I checked the check box and opened a JPEG image in Photoshop Camera Raw was scheduled. I clicked Open Image in ACR and then saved the image in Photoshop (JPEG saved in Photoshop after passing thru ACR). I then Unchecked the check box and opened the JPEG file Camera Raw was not scheduled.

The only action I see for the Photoshop File Handling check box is to either schedule or not to schedule JPEG images. I do not see any related action for TIFF files in Photoshop. My expectation is that TIFF files will open in Photoshop not ACR.

Note if a dialog box is open in Photoshop and Camera Raw is scheduled and the Open Image button is press, nothing happens Photoshop is not scheduled and no action message issued. Once the dialog box is cleared the image appears in Photoshop.

Hope I have correctly consolidated the previous comments.

Thanks again