5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2007 5:05 PM by Ramón G Castañeda

ACR 4.1 not creating thumbnails for Pentax .pef raw file

Creative Suite Premium CS3
      ACR 4.1
      Windows XP
      Pentax K10D (native RAW format: .pef)

I had been using ACR 4.0 (the first to support .pef) in Bridge, and I had no problem with thumbnails and previews in the Pentax format. Since upgrading to 4.1 I can only get generic RAW thumbnails, and no preview. The files still open normally in RAW, but I cannot preview them.

I have followed advice in FAQs and have purged the cache. I've also restarted the program holding down the ctrl key and selecting "purge cache" but neither helped.

Is this a known issue, or simply something wrong with me? I have reverted to 4.0 again, and there is no problem seeing thumbnails and previews, but then when I change back to 4.1, the issue returns.

Short of shooting only in .png, what can I do?

Cheers,
      t
        • 1. Re: ACR 4.1 not creating thumbnails for Pentax .pef raw file
          Level 1
          I can say with certainty that with Bridge 2.1.0.100 and ACR 4.1 I can see proper thumbnails in Bridge for PEFs from my K10D.

(Windows XP SP2).

I don't know what to suggest.
          • 2. Re: ACR 4.1 not creating thumbnails for Pentax .pef raw file
            Level 1
            thanks for the reply Barry,
            It's a strange thing. You're email did remind me that I didn't include the Bridge version I'm using.

I too am running

I am pleased to know that it isn't a general issue. That means that a solution is out there somewhere!

I also noted that in my initial inquiry I suggested I might shoot ".png" as my RAW format. I of course meant ".dng".

Cheers,
            t
            • 3. Re: ACR 4.1 not creating thumbnails for Pentax .pef raw file
              Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
              Thomas,
              >had been using ACR 4.0 (the first to support .pef)

That is only true of PEFs from your K10D. The PEFs from my *istD have been supported since version 2.x.

>Since upgrading to 4.1 I can only get generic RAW thumbnails, and no preview.

Go to the Tools menu in Bridge and purge the cache for each offending folder. DO NOT use the purge cache command in preferences. Go through the Tools menu. (At least on the Macintosh version of Bridge, the cache does not rebuild properly after purging it through preferences.)

Tools > Cache > Purge Cache for 'foldername'
              • 4. Re: ACR 4.1 not creating thumbnails for Pentax .pef raw file
                Level 1
                Ramon (sorry, don't know how to make the accent over the o)
                Thanks for you correction, and assistance. I had infact done just as you say, with no change.

HOWEVER, I have discovered the issue, which was, as you might have guessed, related to user error. When removing the ACR 4.0 .8bi file, I thought it would be enough to place it in a subdirectory within the active subdirectory where the .8bi file for 4.1 would go. This is not the case. It seems that having the 4.0 so close to the 4.1 file caused a conflict. I moved the old file entirely, and the result is almost full success.

For some reason, there is one lonely file which will not produce a thumbnail or preview. No idea why.

Thanks to Barry and Ramon for you attempted assistance.

Cheers,
                t
                • 5. Re: ACR 4.1 not creating thumbnails for Pentax .pef raw file
                  Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
                  Thomas,

You MUST remove the old version of ACR. Don't just move it to somewhere else where Bridge or Photoshop might see it. That's why the instructions are so precise as to the ONLY correct location to install the plug-in.

Win: \Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-ins\CS2\File Formats\

That's all I have to offer as I don't do Windows. :/