11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2007 11:05 AM by Ramón G Castañeda

Opening Problem

Hudechrome-sd9sPI Level 2
      I have a couple of files that, upon duping and flattening, refuse to open in RAW. No layers, channels or saved selections. The name change is simply to append "Copy" before the extension and change the extension to .tif. It won't open. however, if I change the name appended with copy to a different name, shortening it, for instance so as not to loose the keywords, it will open.

Any thing I am missing here?

I'm on a PC running XP SP2.
        • 1. Re: Opening Problem
          John_Cornicello_Photo Level 2
          I'm not sure I follow completely. What format are the files in? What extension did they have before you changed them to .tif?

Not sure how changing the filename would affect keywords in the file.

John
          • 2. Re: Opening Problem
            Generally changing from .psd to tif. This doesn't always happen. If I start with a flattened file, copy it and change the extension to tif, it opens in RAW. Another way is to simply save the psd file as a tif and now I have two files. The tif opens. But if I copy a psd with layers, flatten the copy and save as a tif, it doesn't open. Change the name and it does.

???
            • 3. Re: Opening Problem
              Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
              Changing a file extension does not magically transform the file into a TIFF, it just confuses the hell out any application.

You have to save the file as a TIFF.

I must not be understanding either of your two posts in this thread.
              • 4. Re: Opening Problem
                John_Cornicello_Photo Level 2
                Are you telling Photoshop to save as a TIF instead of as a PSD or are you just changing the extension? I'm still missing something here.
                • 5. Re: Opening Problem
                  I am opening a file like "Three Firs_2.psd". I duplicate. I now have "Three Firs_2 copy". I exit the first image, flatten the copy and save As "Three Firs_2 copy.tif".

It won't open in RAW. So I rename the file as "Three Firs", get rid of "_2 copy".tif, save as a tif and now It will open in RAW.
                  • 6. Re: Opening Problem
                    Let's put this thread on hold for a bit. I haven't been able to replicate this phenomenon this evening. Every psd file duplicated, flattened and saves as tif now opens in RAW. I would chalk it up to attention to detail lapse, except it happened once before. So, if it comes back, I will re-open this thread.

Strange thing was that when it occurred this afternoon, I deleted the offending file and re-did the conversion on the same image, with the same result. Now it behaves perfectly.

Thanks for the feedback anyway. :-)
                    • 7. Re: Opening Problem
                      Good morning.

I spent some time after the last post and this morning with it and came up with the following:

It's a cache problem in Bridge. How it sets up as a problem required only that one opens a tiff file, add layers, close it. Now, when I look at that image in Bridge, Open in Raw is still available, which, of course, it won't.

Move to the other side. Open a psd, with layers or add layers. Duplicate it. Save As a tiff. It will not open in RAW, as expected. Now open it in PS, flatten it and save. It still will not open in RAW.

So now, we have two versions of the same image in tif, one with layers that Bridge indicates will open in RAW, which it won't, and the other, a flattened tif that will not open. You can rename the flattened one and now it opens, I suspect you can rename the layered tiff and the Open in RAW designation will go away. I haven't tried it.

Or, use "Reset Prefs on Bridge, choose purge cache, now the two files will be labeled and perform as expected. So will the renamed versions.

So it appears that the cache is not being completely altered when saving a file with it's alterations, namely, flattening the file.

Of course, this is on my machine, this time, with my particular installation. Your mileage may vary. It may be that purging the cache may be an ongoing need in this version of Bridge. And finally, I now realize it is most likely a Bridge problem, not RAW.
                      • 8. Re: Opening Problem
                        It's definitely a cache problem. it happened several times again tonight, and in order to have several tifs open in RAW, I had to purge the cache. more than once.

I think more attention to detail is necessary in the next go-around.

Much more.

In my opinion, anyway.

Been a long day....
                        • 9. Re: Opening Problem
                          Lawrence,

There is no question that cache management in Bridge is very, very poor at this stage.

A serious update is way overdue.

As far as Purging the Cache, at least on the Mac version, the global purge command in Bridge is broken. When you use it, the caches do not re-build properly. It's a major pain. [Adobe staff is aware.]

What we have to do is go through the Tools menu, folder by folder.

Tools > Cache > Purge cache for 'foldername'.
                          • 10. Re: Opening Problem
                            Thanks, Ramon. Since all I am interested in is purging the cache for the folder I am working with, that's what I do.

I wasn't aware that Global was doing a poor job, so I will maintain current practice.
                            • 11. Re: Opening Problem
                              >I wasn't aware that Global was doing a poor job

I found that out the hard way. :(