22 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2007 3:53 PM by (Barry_Koopersmith)

Hot key to open image from Camera Raw?

Is there a key combination in Camera Raw v4.1 to open the image in Photoshop CS3 instead of having to use the mouse to click on the Open Image button?

Thanks to anyone who can help me out.
        • 1. Re: Hot key to open image from Camera Raw?
          Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
          If you mean the Open Image button on the Camera Raw dialog box itself, the answer to your question is no.
          • 2. Re: Hot key to open image from Camera Raw?
            Level 1
            Yes, I meant for the Camera Raw dialog box itself.

All the buttons at the top have a hot key. Why would they leave out a key for that bottom button?
            • 3. Re: Hot key to open image from Camera Raw?
              We can only provide you with solutions and workarounds here, Barry. You're not addressing Adobe here in these user to user forums.

If you want to complain, whine, rant or ask why, use the Contact button at the top of this page to contact Adobe.
              • 4. Re: Hot key to open image from Camera Raw?
                Level 1
                Thank you for your response. I'm sorry, but I did not know that asking why was inappropriate for this forum.
                • 5. Re: Hot key to open image from Camera Raw?
                  Level 1
                  Uh, what's the ENTER key do for you when you open Camera Raw hosted by Photoshop? For me, it opens the darn image in Photoshop...

If you open an image hosted by Bridge, the presumtion is you are merely adjusting settings, not desiring to open in Photoshop so the DONE key is highlighted and will respond to Enter.
                  • 6. Re: Hot key to open image from Camera Raw?
                    jrsforums Level 1
                    If you have opened CR from Bridge, you can 'Open Image' to PS by using 'ctrl-o' (the alpha 'o'). This is with PS-windows.

http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?233@@.3bc42c25!enclosure=.3bc42c26

John
                    • 7. Re: Hot key to open image from Camera Raw?
                      Level 1
                      Jeff Schewe: I am opening Camera Raw from Bridge and if I press [Enter], "Done" is selected and it closes Camera Raw and returns to Bridge.

John Schwaller: The [Ctr-o] key combination does open the image in Photoshop CS3. Thank you very much for the answer I was looking for plus the link to the very helpful keyboard shortcuts chart.
                      • 8. Re: Hot key to open image from Camera Raw?
                        Barry,
                        > Jeff Schewe: I am opening Camera Raw from Bridge and if I press [Enter], "Done" is selected and it closes Camera Raw and returns to Bridge.

That is precisely what Jeff told you.
                        • 9. Re: Hot key to open image from Camera Raw?
                          Level 1
                          Ramón:

Jeff asked me "what's the ENTER key do for you when you open Camera Raw" and I answered his question by confirming that it does what he said (i.e., it executes "Done" and goes back to the program that called up Camera Raw, either Bridge or Photoshop). There are no surprises there.
                          • 10. Re: Hot key to open image from Camera Raw?
                            Level 1
                            Barry...

You still don't "get it". Camera Raw hosted by Photoshop, Open Image is highlighted and executed with return. Camera Raw hosted by Bridge has Done highlighted.

And the keyboard commands to get open image to be highlighted are for Bridge, not Camera Raw...
                            • 11. Re: Hot key to open image from Camera Raw?
                              Level 1
                              Jeff:

I thought I did "get it". This my understanding. Please tell me what I have missed:

If I open an image in Camera Raw from Bridge and then press [Enter], Camera Raw saves the image changes and returns to Bridge. If I open an image in Camera Raw from Photoshop and then press [Enter], Camera Raw saves the image changes and returns to Photoshop.

My orginal question should have been worded:

Is there a key combination in Camera Raw v4.1 (when opened from Bridge) to open the image in Photoshop CS3 instead of having to use the mouse to click on the Open Image button?

You answered my question by telling me to press [Ctrl-o].

Everything I said above works on my computer as I stated it. What is it that you say I am still missing?
                              • 12. Re: Hot key to open image from Camera Raw?
                                Level 1
                                "Is there a key combination in Camera Raw v4.1 (when opened from Bridge) to open the image in Photoshop CS3 instead of having to use the mouse to click on the Open Image button? "

And the answer to THAT question is no...because, as I said, when one opens Camera Raw hosted by Bridge, the presumtion is that you only wish to adjust settings, hense having Done highlighted...

What you are "missing" is why are you trying to open an image into Photoshop from Camera Raw hosted by Bridge?
                                • 13. Re: Hot key to open image from Camera Raw?
                                  Level 1
                                  Jeff:

If that is your question, then one of us is missing someting, but I'm not sure which one of us.

This is my work flow for processing new photos:

Open Bridge and view all the photos as thumbnails (sized to show 21 across and 9 down). I highlight the first image and press [Ctr-R] to open the image in Camera Raw. I adjust the sliders to get the image to look the way I want. I then press [Ctr-o] to open the image in Photoshop where I may do additional processing (cleaning up spots, tweaking the look, noise reduction) and then I save and close the photo from Photoshop. I then go back to Bridge, press the [right-arrow] to move to the next image and repeat the process.

The above explains why I am using Bridge to open an image in Camera Raw and perform additional processing in Photoshop.

Would you suggest a different workflow that might be more efficient for me?
                                  • 14. Re: Hot key to open image from Camera Raw?
                                    John_Cornicello_Photo Level 2
                                    I may be missing something, too.

But from what you (Barry) describe, could you not just open/view the files in Bridge. Select the first image and press Enter to open it in Camera Raw. Make your raw adjustments. Press Enter again to open in in Photoshop. Make your edits. Save the file and CTL-Shft-W to close it and go back to Bridge. Then Right-arrow to select the next image in Bridge and repeat.

Not sure if one is more efficient, though. Just different key presses.

John
                                    • 15. Re: Hot key to open image from Camera Raw?
                                      Level 1
                                      John:

If I highlight a raw (arw) image in Bridge and press [Enter], it will open in Camera Raw and if I then press [Enter], it will close Camera Raw and open the image in Photoshop. I did not know that. You are correct about that.

If I highlight a jpg image in Bridge and press [Enter], it will open in Photoshop (bypassing Camera Raw). I use Camera Raw to adjust both raw and jpg images so rather than use a different set of keys to process raw than jpg images, I will stick with the key combo's that I specified previously.

Some processes have more than one way to get there so each person can decide which works best for them. The main important tip that I received out of this enter topic is the [Ctr-o] key combo that answers my original question. That and other keyboard shortcuts are sometimes different to locate.
                                      • 16. Re: Hot key to open image from Camera Raw?
                                        I think what Barry is missing is the concept of ACR hosted by Photoshop as opposed to ACR hosted by Bridge. He is doing the latter when he should be doing the former.

But if he doesn't understand Jeff's and John's explanation, I won't even try myself.
                                        • 17. Re: Hot key to open image from Camera Raw?
                                          Level 1
                                          Ramón:

I am using Bridge to get to ACR because it shows me a large collection of thumbnails with a marker in the corner indicating which images have been modified. If I wanted to open the image in ACR from Photoshop, I would need to select "File-Open As" and change the "Open As" drop-down to "Camera Raw". This latter method does not give me the large collection of thumbnails or the modified image markers and it is more keystrokes than the method I am using.
                                          • 18. Re: Hot key to open image from Camera Raw?
                                            Oy! You still don't get it, Barry. I give up.

Well, maybe one last try: You can still use Bridge and have Photoshop host ACR.

Now I'm done.
                                            • 19. Re: Hot key to open image from Camera Raw?
                                              Level 1
                                              Ramón:

I guess I'm not that bright. I don't know what specifically you are recommending that I can do to improve upon the work flow that I detailed.
                                              • 20. Re: Hot key to open image from Camera Raw?
                                                John_Cornicello_Photo Level 2
                                                If it works for you, I'm not going to argue about it. There are many ways to do things in Photoshop. I didn't take into account JPG files in my workflow.

John
                                                • 21. Re: Hot key to open image from Camera Raw?
                                                  Barry,

You are under yet another misconception if you think I have been commenting on your workflow. I have not, and will not.

From the beginning, I have been focusing on a single issue: what single-key stroke may affect the Open button in the ACR dialog box. The answer was (and remains) that there is no single-key stroke that will open the image in Photoshop if you're having Bridge host ACR. Command+O will open the image on the Mac, or Ctrl+O on Windows.

Jeff then pointed out to you that the Enter key activates the Done button as long as Bridge is hosting ACR, and that the same Enter key activates the Open button if Photoshop is hosting ACR.

The question of deciding whether Bridge or Photoshop is going to be hosting ACR is a separate question from using Bridge to open your images.

Of course you can open your image through Bridge and still have Photoshop host ACR.

Thus, your workflow has nothing to do with what I've been trying to convey to you.

And I have no comment, criticism or suggestion in connection with your workflow.

As Jeff has repeatedly explained to you, it makes more sense to have Bridge host ACR when you're only making global adjustments to your images, and to have Photoshop host ACR when you need to make localized adjustments, (e.g. selections) to your images or to print them.
                                                  • 22. Re: Hot key to open image from Camera Raw?
                                                    Level 1
                                                    Ramón:

I don't know why you focused on the topic of a single keystroke to open an image from Camera Raw in Photoshop when my original question was "Is there a key combination" (not a single keystroke). If your point all along has been that [Ctrl-o] is a key combination and not a single keystroke, then I agree that you are correct.

Although it makes more sense to you to have Bridge host ACR when you're only making global adjustments to your images, and to have Photoshop host ACR when you need to make localized adjustments, it does not to me with my workflow so let's also leave it at that.

I am satisfied that my original question was answered and I found the [Ctrl-o] key combination that I wanted.