18 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2007 9:51 AM by Ian Lyons

Camara Raw for Canon 40D

Any news please on when the Camera Raw plugin will be upgraded so it can read and load the new Canon 40D Camera raw files?
      and Sraw files (though this is not so important)
        • 1. Re: Camara Raw for Canon 40D
          Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
          Some people just don't get it.

It's Canon fault.

Adobe works as fast as possible, but it does NOT comment on unreleased software.

Go complain to Canon.
          • 2. Re: Camara Raw for Canon 40D
            JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
            http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bb6a85c.3bc68e39/43
            • 3. Re: Camara Raw for Canon 40D
              Level 1
              Was I blaming anyone, I was asking when it would be updated, as I prefer to use CS3 I mean I paid enough for it.

Also for those people, Canon new they were bringing out a new camera, and Adobe also new, shame they did not get together a bit quicker.

And if I bought CS3 tomorrow, and then tried to use my 40D raws I would ask why the hell the latest piece of software does not read a raw file that they state it should.

ALL people want to know is roughly how long
              • 4. Re: Camara Raw for Canon 40D
                It will be released when it's ready. Period.
                • 5. Re: Camara Raw for Canon 40D
                  Canon does NOT cooperate with Adobe. Bug them.
                  • 6. Re: Camara Raw for Canon 40D
                    "Are we there yet?" "Are we there yet?" "Are we there yet?" "Are we there yet?" "Are we there yet?" "Are we there yet?" "Are we there yet?" "Are we there yet?""Are we there yet?" "Are we there yet?" "Are we there yet?""Are we there yet?"
                    "Are we there yet?" "Are we there yet?" "Are we there yet?" "Are we there yet?" "Are we there yet?" "Are we there yet?" "Are we there yet?" "Are we there yet?""Are we there yet?" "Are we there yet?" "Are we there yet?""Are we there yet?"
                    • 7. Re: Camara Raw for Canon 40D
                      Level 1
                      The OP simply asked a question. He does not need to know the development details or inter-company relationships. I think he simply deserved a proper answer from someone from Adobe.

Ramón do you have a problem? Are you an Adobe employee/consultant jumping on Adobe's defense? There are a few individuals on these Adobe forums, who seem to be within Adobe circles, probably as beta/alpha testers, who come across as bullies all the time. Someone within Adobe proper, should stop their behavior.
                      • 8. Re: Camara Raw for Canon 40D
                        Antonio,

How about diverting your energies to something productive rather than adding fuel to the fire?

These are user to user forums. The Forum Hosts are volunteers too. They do intervene when they see fit. No one needs to tell them how to do their jobs.

If I have a problem, Antonio Dias, it's with hypocrites who come in here on their high horses lecturing others about behaviors they themselves are engaging in when they impart their sanctimonious lessons without ever contributing anything to help others. A search of the forums reveals their true nature.
                        • 9. Re: Camara Raw for Canon 40D
                          Incidentally, I have no connection with Adobe other than that of a satisfied customer for over twenty years.
                          • 10. Re: Camara Raw for Canon 40D
                            Level 1
                            > "And if I bought CS3 tomorrow, and then tried to use my 40D raws I would ask why the hell the latest piece of software does not read a raw file that they state it should".

Go check what you bought (or are considering buying). Did it state it would EVER read 40D raw files? Did it even mention the 40D?

No, of course not.

However, It DOES say it supports DNG. So any camera manufacturer can create raw files that will be opened by CS3, without even needing to consult Adobe.
                            • 11. Re: Camara Raw for Canon 40D
                              Hudechrome-sd9sPI Level 2
                              The user can also.
                              • 12. Re: Camara Raw for Canon 40D
                                JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                                Every time we see an influx of new users on this forum it seems that we have to go through the education process all over again. In a nutshell, Adobe would love to provide immediate support for new cameras. Adobe advocates a common raw format. Every camera manufacturer has their own proprietary raw format that they don't want to share, especially with Adobe. Adobe has to wait until they can get files from these new cameras, and then they must do all the work to create profiles to support the new cameras. And Adobe must provide that support without any assistance from the camera makers.

You can ***** at Adobe all you want. But in reality they are the company that is trying to make shooting in RAW as simple as possible. But the camera manufacturers don't agree and will not cooperate.
                                • 13. Re: Camara Raw for Canon 40D
                                  Level 1
                                  At:
                                  Barry Clive Pearson, "support for Canon 40D?" #18, 31 Aug 2007 12:48 am
                                  I said:

> "How many of the people who are impatient to get their new cameras supported have made their views known to the camera manufacturer rather than their software supplier? How about telling Chuck Westfall that Canon need to do something? (I suspect he agrees, although may not say so)."

For those who want to try Chuck, here is one of his latest articles, and at the end there is a pop-dialogue for sending a email to him.
                                  http://digitaljournalist.org/issue0708/tech-tips.html
                                  • 14. Re: Camara Raw for Canon 40D
                                    Level 1
                                    Ramón, it's OK to be a satisfied customer but you come across as some sort of wild-eyed, fan boy-cheerleader. Jeff or Thomas have merely to utter a word and you're there confirming it and acting tough. I mean how many times have you reminded readers who Thomas Knoll is? How can you be a "user" if you have time to respond with hundreds of posts in a short period of time?

So can you just cool it a bit? The forum will be OK without you defending Adobe's honor on every other post. Thomas and Jeff are big boys and they can take the punishment. There are times when users, including me, are upset at Adobe about some issue. Your "LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING!!!" attitude doesn't really add to the conversation at that point.

I usually avoid personal attacks but enough is enough. Just settle down and relax! The world's leader in image manipulation software is going to take some heat occasionally. It's their software and their job to answer users' questions.
                                    • 15. Re: Camara Raw for Canon 40D
                                      Ah, Little Joe again the sports photographer, right?

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Adobe takes plenty of heat from me, publicly and privately. Even on the blog of John Nack, Adobe Photoshop senior manager.

Your mistake is assuming that all I post is in this forum. That's because you're a Windozer and do not visit the various Adobe Macintosh forums.

A search on my name brings up over 8,000 still-active posts, and those are just a fraction of the ones that have scrolled off the archives. There's plenty of criticism of Adobe there.

What's even more to the point, I do contact Adobe directly, where it counts. I don't come whining to the forums where all that gets accomplished by these whiners and ranters is the annoying of their fellow users.

You are pathetic.
                                      • 16. Re: Camara Raw for Canon 40D
                                        Whiners should use the Contact button at the top of every forum page. That's where bugs, complaints and suggestions are fruitfully submitted. I know because I use it often, and so far I have never failed to hear back from Adobe.
                                        • 17. Re: Camara Raw for Canon 40D
                                          Dirk Williams Level 1
                                          Time to end this thread also
                                          • 18. Re: Camara Raw for Canon 40D
                                            Ian Lyons MVP & Adobe Community Professional
                                            Thread is set Read Only

IanLyons
                                            Forum Host