25 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2007 7:15 AM by Thomas Knoll

4.2 Sony A700 support?

Bob McA Level 1
      The new Sony A700 will have two forms of RAW files, a regular RAW and a comressed RAW. will 4.2 support both forms?

Bob Mc
        • 1. Re: 4.2 Sony A700 support?
          Thomas Knoll Level 2
          Yes
          • 2. Re: 4.2 Sony A700 support?
            In my experience, Camera Raw will not reliably open Alpha 700 Raw files even when properly installed in a system which meets all the published hardware and OS requirements. I have even reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled my OS and trashing all Adobe software which might have created a conflict. I have followed all the advice from Adobe support. I just installed more RAM, bringing my system up to 1.25 GB. Nothing works. In my opinion, Adobe released a piece of junk in Camera Raw without properly testing it.
            • 3. Re: 4.2 Sony A700 support?
              Thomas Knoll Level 2
              Bruce (#2):

Did you purge the Bridge cache for any problem folders after installing Camera Raw 4.2?

Can you post an example A700 file you are unable to open?
              • 4. Re: 4.2 Sony A700 support?
                Level 1
                1) Yes, I have tried that, several times. No effect at all. I also repaired Preferences. No effect.

2) I don't know how to post a file, and there is no way a giant Raw file would get thru my ultraslow connection anyway.

3) I don't think the problem even has anything to do with my Raw files. Apparently Bridge & Elements simply don't see ACR 4.2 as being present. When I go into Bridge Preferences>File Type Association, Sony Alpha files are not even listed. All sorts of camera mfr. Raws are listed: Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax, but the only Sony files are .srf and .sr2. No AWR. When Bridge is open and I highlight a file, then do File>Open With, the only option listed is Sony's own Raw software (IDC). When I go to Camera Raw Preferences, nothing appears.

4) ACR 4.2 will not open my old MInolta Raw files (MRW) either. When I remove ACR 4.2 and substitute ACR 3.3, I am able to open MRWs again. The problem is ACR 4.2.

5) Please don't tell me I installed ACR 4.2 wrong. I followed Adobe's instructions exactly, and repeated the process several times. Adobe phone support confirmed this. The plugin is in the correct location.
                • 5. Re: 4.2 Sony A700 support?
                  JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                  Bruce,

I know you don't want to hear this because you have stated that you are convinced that you installed the new version correctly. But everything you are describing indicates that something is wrong with that installation. Any file that could be opened with ACR 3.3 can be opened with ACR 4.2. If 4.2 will not open the folder files then something is wrong with the installation. When you install the new version, you have to completely get rid of the older version (3.3). It can not be buried in a subfolder in the Adobe programs path.

Also, I seem to recall that there was a patch for Elements 5 that I think had to be applied before ACR 4.2 would work. I very possibly am wrong about that. Is there a Help/About Plug-ins menu in Elements? If there is, and Camera Raw is listed, click on it and see what version it says you are using.

On the other hand, if you are absolutely positive beyond any question that you have done everything correctly, then disregard my comments.
                  • 6. Re: 4.2 Sony A700 support?
                    Level 1
                    If Camera Raw 3.3 works and Camera Raw 4.x won't work, you ain't using Photoshop CS3 bud....Camera Raw 4.x requires Photoshop CS3 (or Elements 5.0) or above. Camera Raw 4.x WON'T run in Photoshop CS2.
                    • 7. Re: 4.2 Sony A700 support?
                      Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
                      Bruce,

What Jeff said.

It's not clear to me what platform you're on.

Since you say you're using Elements, you need the latest version of Elements 5.x if you're on Windows.
                      • 8. Re: 4.2 Sony A700 support?
                        Level 1
                        Bruce,
                        ACR 4.2 will open JPEG files if you go in Elements Editor to >File >Open As,
                        select Camera Raw and navigate to a JPEG file. See if that works for you.
                        That would give an indication if your ACR 4.2 is working at all.

Juergen
                        • 9. Re: 4.2 Sony A700 support?
                          JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                          If he's using Elements 5, doesn't that indicate he would be on a Windows machine? But what is also confusing is that he talks about using Elements and Bridge. Does Bridge come with Elements?
                          • 10. Re: 4.2 Sony A700 support?
                            He hasn't mentioned what version of Elements he's using, has he?

>Does Bridge come with Elements?

Lots of Elements users have mentioned Bridge. I don't know if it's included in Elements or illegally acquired.
                            • 11. Re: 4.2 Sony A700 support?
                              JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                              Ramon, you are correct. I guess I got his message confused with another one. I don't know what he has, and I don't know if even he knows what he has.
                              • 12. Re: 4.2 Sony A700 support?
                                >I don't know if even he knows what he has.

That's my take on this too. :)
                                • 13. Re: 4.2 Sony A700 support?
                                  Level 1
                                  I have PS Elements 4.0 for Mac, upgraded to 4.0.1 via download. 4.0.1 is required in order for ACR 4.2 to install correctly. I received confirmation that 4.0.1 was installed correctly. Then all that is supposed to be necessary is for ACR (Camera Raw) 4.2 to be put into the correct plugin folder in place of ACR 3.3 (or whatever was there). Adobe's instructions are for the old ACR to be put in a folder on the Desktop, which is what I did. As I said, I followed Adobe's installation instructions exactly, and Adobe phone support confirmed that ACR 4.2 was in the right folder. Nevertheless, neither Bridge nor Elements can "see" Camera Raw, apparently. Adobe Support was unable to find anything wrong, and all the standard fixes like reinstallation, formatting the hard drive, cleaning caches, etc. failed to fix anything. I think it is becoming obvious that something prevents ACR 4.2 from working on some Macs. Adobe's only solution was to convert Raw files to DNGs and open them with some other Raw developer, like the older ACR 3.x. In my opinion, this is a pretty sorry fix. I bought Elements 4.0 specifically in order to run ACR 4.2, which is needed to support the Sony A700.
                                  • 14. Re: 4.2 Sony A700 support?
                                    Level 1
                                    I was curious what would happen if you tried what I suggested in my earlier
                                    post...

Juergen
                                    • 15. Re: 4.2 Sony A700 support?
                                      Thomas Knoll Level 2
                                      "Please don't tell me I installed ACR 4.2 wrong."

OK, I will not tell you that. With that restriction you imposed, I'm able to help you.
                                      • 16. Re: 4.2 Sony A700 support?
                                        Looks like a typo in TK's last sentence It's likely he meant to type " unable to help you."
                                        • 17. Re: 4.2 Sony A700 support?
                                          PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional
                                          Have you tried to re-download 4.2? there was maybe a corruption during the download.
                                          • 18. Re: 4.2 Sony A700 support?
                                            Level 1
                                            I thought there might have been a problem with the download, as you suggest, so I repeated it several times. I also tried both downloads: the one which bundles ACR 4.2 with DNG Converter, and the one which doesn't. I didn't matter which I tried. I think it is true that something must have gone wrong with the installation, but I can't see how, because I did follow the instructions exactly. I even repeated it with Adobe support coaching me over the phone.

At this point, I am converting the Raw to DNGs and opening them with ACR 3.3, as suggested by Adobe. That does work. I think DNGs are one of Adobe's best ideas, and wish more manufacturers would adopt them. This proliferation of proprietary Raw files is going to be a disaster sooner or later.
                                            • 19. Re: 4.2 Sony A700 support?
                                              Level 1
                                              I attempted to follow your suggestion. First, File>Open With does not even appear unless I first select and highlight a file. Then, Camera Raw 4.2 does not appear as one of the options. I'm not sure that it should, because ACR 4.2 is just a plugin, not an independent application. It operates only as part of Bridge or Elements, and only when a Raw or DNG file is selected, as far as I know. Otherwise, there is no need for it.

When I am select Elements>About Plugin, and ACR 4.2 is installed, I get a message saying that I don't have enough memory for that operation. I now have 1.25 GB of RAM, yet I still get that message. When I install ACR 3.3, there is no such error message.
                                              • 20. Re: 4.2 Sony A700 support?
                                                Level 1
                                                > I'm not sure that it should, because ACR 4.2 is just a plugin, not an
                                                > independent application.

Yes, it should. You are in Photoshop Elements Editor when you select >File
                                                >Open As, which you can do before any file is highlighted.

Juergen
                                                • 21. Re: 4.2 Sony A700 support?
                                                  PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional
                                                  Is the mac version of ACR compressed, on PC, it is a ZIP file, and it is necessary to extract the executable.

Could you search for Camera Raw with Spotlight?, on the whole disk?

You are sure that the file is installed at the root of the disk?
                                                  Could you write down the path where ACR is installed?
                                                  • 22. Re: 4.2 Sony A700 support?
                                                    Level 1
                                                    Do you have a Mac or PC? On my Mac version of PS Elements 4.0.1, I've never seen File>Open As. I see File>Open With, bu only when a file is selected. If no file is selected, I see only Open.
                                                    • 23. Re: 4.2 Sony A700 support?
                                                      Level 1
                                                      The Mac version of ACR was not compressed when I installed it. Yes, it is in the root directory, in the correct folder. Hard Drive>Library>Application Support>Adobe>Plug-ins>CS2>File Formats>Camera Raw.plugin

When I take it out of there and substitute an older version of ACR, I am able to open the Raw files supported by that version. When ACR 4.2 is in that folder, even those older Raw files can't be opened.
                                                      • 24. Re: 4.2 Sony A700 support?
                                                        Level 1
                                                        > Do you have a Mac or PC?

I am on a PC (XP - PSE 5.0). Maybe it's different on a Mac, sorry.

Juergen
                                                        • 25. Re: 4.2 Sony A700 support?
                                                          Thomas Knoll Level 2
                                                          Mac OS version? If you answer 10.2.x or earlier, you need to upgrade.