6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2009 7:07 AM by motiondude

xmp files open with textedit, can I make it stop?

Greetings,
      I've gotten into the habit of opening up dozens (or hundreds) of RAW files directly from Finder, with a quick command+A, command+O. On previous machines this has been fine. On my new machine (new to me), doing that causes TextEdit to open up all of the XMP files as well.

I have tried repeatedly to use the "get info" function to set XMPs to open with PS or even with nothing at all. So far I am failing miserably and am forced to take additional steps to either avoid this or to close a ton of XMP files.

I know I can use Bridge, or sort the file types then select just the raw files, but that, for me at least, is quite a bit slower, and I do this every day, so, I'm open to any suggestions.

I'm using a dual 2.3 G5 Power PC, OSX 10.4.10, and CS3 with the latest updates.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can offer some guidance.

Best regards,
      Michael
        • 1. Re: xmp files open with textedit, can I make it stop?
          Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
          Use Bridge, not the Finder. That's what Bridge is for,
          • 2. Re: xmp files open with textedit, can I make it stop?
            Level 1
            Thank you for taking the time to respond Mr. Castaneda.

Using Bridge in this context, while obviously an effective work-around, only serves as an unnecessary resource hog.

The simple issue is this: What used to take half a second in keyboard taps now requires either the use of an additional program (Bridge) or several additional steps in Finder.

I can't help but to suspect that there is some way to configure my system to behave in the desired manner.

I do use Bridge regularly, but when all I want to do is process hundreds of RAW files in the largest batches possible, I don't see the need to waste resources on it. And it does slow things down noticeably.

I like to use Bridge for sorting, renaming, editing, labeling, etc. But to use it just to open up files seems a little inefficient.

Maybe I'm picking at nits here, but I'm just baffled that this system behaves differently than the one I used a few days ago (same OS, programs, and updates).

Many thanks!

Best regards,
            Michael
            • 3. Re: xmp files open with textedit, can I make it stop?
              Omke Oudeman Level 5
              >I like to use Bridge for sorting, renaming, editing, labeling, etc. But to use it just to open up files seems a little inefficient.
              ???

Regarding the fact that you have xmp files with the RAW images you did make already some changes using Bridge or ACR?

I don't seem to understand your workflow. If you have the files already as thumbnails in Bridge, just select them all and with right mouse click you can choose between various options of opening or just use the desired shortcuts, they work also in Bridge.

If you have already used ACR in filmstrip why not use the save as command so the files will be saved in the background.

If you need batching that is easy done trough Bridge using tools - Photoshop - batch.
              • 4. Re: xmp files open with textedit, can I make it stop?
                I'm looking for a solution too. In CS2 this worked without problems, so why change it in CS3? I found out that machines who have both CS2 and CS3 installed have no problems but machines with only CS3 mess things up. On a machine with both versions installed check a xml-file with cmd-I, and you'll see that it will open with CS2. It also has the xml icon instead of the TextEdit icon.

I don't want to be forced to use Bridge for this reason. That's lame. Working with the Finder is much quicker and I like to keep it that way.
                • 5. Re: xmp files open with textedit, can I make it stop?
                  Omke Oudeman Level 5
                  I still advocate using Bridge (I would suggest to buy the new version Real World Camera RAW written by Bruce Fraser and Jeff Schewe and you will learn the huge benefit of Bridge)

Edit:
                  The change open with option in the info panel is indeed also not working on my machine (MacPro MacOSX 10.4.11) But I'm a fairly happy Bridge user and working with hundreds of RAW files each day.
                  • 6. Re: xmp files open with textedit, can I make it stop?
                    motiondude Level 1

I know this is an old thread but I'll take my chances. In CS2 when the xmp files were created they were automatically tagged as PS-related files and we didn't have this problem. Can we have that back with CS4 again?