4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2007 9:11 AM by Ramón G Castañeda

ACR 4.2 Setting Questions

Level 1
      I recently took a series of pictures with the Canon 40D white balance set to
      daylight. When I look at the white balance numbers in ACR they are not the
      same for each picture.

Why is this?
        • 1. Re: ACR 4.2 Setting Questions
          Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
          Please do forum searches on white balance and camera raw white balance.

You'll find plenty of threads on the subject.

In a nutshell, Camera Raw uses its own algorithms, not Canon's, to generate what it (ACR) thinks is the correct-appearing white balance. The default settings are only starting points, and you should set the appropriate white balance. Turn off Apply Auto Adjustments.

Forums will be shutting down for two days starting in about two hours.
          • 2. Re: ACR 4.2 Setting Questions
            Rob Keijzer Level 1
            And note that the WB setting in the Camera is applied to the image when you shoot in Jpeg, but (luckily) only tagged to it when you shoot RAW (which you should), so it doesn't matter where you set it to.

The only thing that changes (when altering WB with RAW) is the appearance of the image on the camera display, and the thumbnail.

Rob
            • 3. Re: ACR 4.2 Setting Questions
              DavidRitch-BPYbxw Level 1
              Rob - I believe that OP did shoot raw, or ACR would not show him him color balance numbers.

Ramon - the question was not why his color looked different. It was why the color balance settings differed from image to image, given that they were fixed in the camera.

I believe that when ACR is set to "As Shot", then it should represent the color balance as set in the camera. In my experience, it has done this.

EmJayPrice - do you have the color balance in ACR set to "As Shot"? If not, that would certainly explain it.

David
              • 4. Re: ACR 4.2 Setting Questions
                Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
                >Ramon - the question was not why his color looked different. It was why the color balance settings differed from image to image

The answer is still the same. The WB is only a tag, which is being ignored with whatever settings the OP has, which doesn't appear to be "As Shot".