4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2007 6:48 PM by JimHess-8IPblY

Nikon D70 Raw Problems

I have PhotoShop CS and Nikon D70. I was able to open raw pictures, but only with a limited menu for adjustments. I read the FAQ and deleted the Nikon plugin and installed Camera_Raw 2.4 from the adobe site. I made sure to do a search for the Nikon plugin and I followed the instructons for the adobe plugin and put the new file in Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop CS\Plug-Ins\File Formats. But now I can't open the NEF files. I get the message: Cannot complete your request because it is not the right kind of document. I tried restarting the computer, but it still doesn't work. I know that 2.4 has my camera listed as supported. Please help. Thanks
        • 1. Re: Nikon D70 Raw Problems
          Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
          Jennifer,

Forgive me for bringing up what may be too obvious, but did you decompress (unzip) the downloaded ACR plug-in before installing it?
          • 2. Re: Nikon D70 Raw Problems
            Its been awhile since I used CS, but there is a File Format folder in the Photoshop only folder, I believe you should install it there instead of the Plug-in File Format folder.
            • 3. Re: Nikon D70 Raw Problems
              Jennifer, I've got the same problem! Have you found a solution? I've got Window's Vista running Photoshop CS with the Camera Raw 2.4 installed. All of the RAW photos are from my Nikon D70s. I've even tried to convert them all to the DNG but the converter wont recognize the files either.

I'm in big trouble if I can't open these photos.

Anyone?
              • 4. Re: Nikon D70 Raw Problems
                JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                Keegan,

Support for the Nikon D70s was not added until ACR 3.2 or 3.3. There is no way that ACR 2.4 will allow you to open those files. However, if you download the latest version of the DNG converter (4.2 as of the writing of this note) it should convert your NEF files to the DNG format. Then, if you have ACR 2.4 installed correctly, you should be able to open those DNG files.

It isn't necessary for you to use the corresponding version number of the DNG converter. You should always endeavor to have the latest version of the DNG converter. It will convert the raw files from the largest number of different camera models to the DNG format. And those DNG files will work with any version of ACR clear back to 2.4.