7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2007 2:54 AM by (walter_schroeder)

Real World Camera Raw CS3 Delayed

Bill_Janes Level 2
      Those who are patiently waiting for the new edition of Real World Camera raw updated for CS3 by Jeff Schewe will have to wait a bit longer. I had pre-ordered it through Amazon.com, who currently show a shipping date of Nov 9. However, I just received an e-mail stating that expected arrival is now 12/14/2007 - 12/17/2007.
        • 1. Re: Real World Camera Raw CS3 Delayed
          Level 1
          Then Amazon has their head up where the sun don't shine...and at this stage, who the heck would believe ANYTHING Amazon says about much of ANYTHING? They're as bad as the CIA.

The book is printed (I was on press yesterday in Kendallville, IN) The cover will be printed by Fri and finishing and binding could happen by Nov 6 which means that the Nov 7 date could still happen. But if you don't get your book until 12/14/07, I would ream Amazon a new one.
          • 2. Re: Real World Camera Raw CS3 Delayed
            Dirk Williams Level 1
            hmm, I buy all my books from Amazon and ever have a problem or a delay. They seem to have the best prices on books. Is there a better place?

Also, Jeff. Is there any place on the web where they list the chapter titles of your new book?
            • 3. Re: Real World Camera Raw CS3 Delayed
              Level 1
              It's been my experience, in watching a lot of books get released, that Amazon pulls the release date out of thin air...I know for a FACT that Peachpit has been VERY careful about stating the ship date "Fall 2007" and not trying to build an exact (to the day/date) expectation for the release date.
              • 4. Re: Real World Camera Raw CS3 Delayed
                Bill_Janes Level 2
                >But if you don't get your book until 12/14/07, I would ream Amazon a new one.

That's an inimitable Jeff Schewe reply, but actually carrying out the suggestion could get oneself into trouble :)

More seriously, I wasn't aware of any problems with Amazon and have no idea of how accurate their predicted delivery date is. They sent me a form letter informing me that my order would be canceled unless I authorized an extension of the delivery date. Of course I would like to get the book sooner and presume someone will post a message when the book is available and from what sources.
                • 5. Re: Real World Camera Raw CS3 Delayed
                  Greg Barnett Level 2
                  Iâm with Jeff on this one, they are frequently quite a ways off on the release dates. I order a lot of books from Amazon and would say that at least 50% of the time, their estimates (for new releases) are off by a month or longer. Iâve seen new titles show up in local stores before getting my copy from Amazon. But itâs hard to beat those prices...
                  • 6. Re: Real World Camera Raw CS3 Delayed
                    Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
                    >Amazon. But it's hard to beat those prices...

and yet, sometimes Bookpool is cheaper and just as reliable.
                    • 7. Re: Real World Camera Raw CS3 Delayed
                      Level 1
                      Amazon makes mistakes just as I do and perhaps a few other people as well .-P

Here in Europe I noticed that there seems to be no communication between the amazon outlets in the different countries. Some books that are "out of print" at the moment at Amazon but are actually available (in the same language) at Amazon in another country. Within the EU shipping, taxing and import duty are no relevant factors.

I guess the big advantage of amazon at the starting time >used to be< the rapid electronic communication :-P