16 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2008 7:34 PM by (Elev_Man)

Can't open RAW files in CS3 or Bridge

I am using PowerMac G4 running OS 10.4.10, one gig RAM, with an Nvidia Geforce 4 MX graphics card. Adobe Updated notified me the new Camera RAW plugin was available so I said yes to install it. The installer hung half way through and I had to force quit it. Since then I can't open RAW (Nikon NEF) files in Bridge or CS3. I get generic raw file thumbnails in Bridge and the error "Could Not complete your request because Photoshop does not recognize this file type" when trying to open one into ACR from Bridge or Photoshop. I tried d'loading the plug-in and manually putting it in the proper folder, still no good. I have reinstalled the program from the install disk, purged the main and folder cache in Bridge, deleted the PS preferences (command+alt+ shift when opening PS), repaired OS permissions, and the like, all to no avail. Photoshop or Bridge just don't see the plug-in when opening NEF files, though it does show in the "Bout P, which is in the proper place- root/library/application support/adobe/plug-ins/CS3/file formats/camera RAW Plugin

How can I fix it?
        • 1. Re: Can't open RAW files in CS3 or Bridge
          Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
          Download the ACR 4.2 plug-in and install it manually, as per the very precise instructions on the download page.

Then use the Tools menu in Bridge to Purge the Cache. DO NOT USE the global Purge Cache command in Bridge Preferences. That one is broken at least on the Mac.
          • 2. Re: Can't open RAW files in CS3 or Bridge
            I have a very similar problem, except with Sony ARW Raw files. Purging the cache did no good. I really wonder if these stock "fixes" which are offered over and over in this forum ever have been found to work. In my experience, they don't work. I think ACR 4.2 has a bug, period.
            • 3. Re: Can't open RAW files in CS3 or Bridge
              Bruce,

ACR 4.2 works flawlessly with Photoshop 10 (CS3) on my Mac.

Purging the cache is indeed a cure for many ailments, as long as you DO NOT USE the global Purge Cache command in Bridge Preferences; that one is broken at least on the Mac. You have to go through the Tools menu in Bridge.

Cache management is the Achilles heel of Bridge. It needs a lot of work indeed.

But ACR 4.2 hosted by Photoshop CS3 opens Sony RAW files (downloaded from the net) on my machine. I cannot speak for Elements, though. Bridge 2.1.0.100 also sees the ARW file and builds a preview.

Another possibility is that you have a bad download of the ACR plug-in, or a copy that somehow got corrupted.

Dual bootable, DP MDD 1.25GHz G4 (2004), maxed out at 2GB of RAM, both Spotlight and Dashboard disabled, Photoshop primary scratch disk on dedicated 160GB internal drive, at least 100GB available on each of the four internal drives, up to 300GB on some. Counting external FW drives just over 1TB of drive space available. nVidia GeForce 7800 GS 425MHz 256 MB graphics display card. Processor napping enabled through CHUD 3.5.2.
              • 4. Re: Can't open RAW files in CS3 or Bridge
                One more thought (or two):

Forgive me for stating the obvious, but Elements and Bridge MUST NOT be running when you install the new ACR plug-in. You must launch both applications AFTER the ACR 4.2 plug-in is installed. After that, you purge the Cache for the offending folder(s).

Also, make sure that Elements and Bridge are in their DEFAULT install locations. Do not take the application icons out of their folder(s), do not move the applications folders out of your root Applications folder, and DO NOT create subfolders inside said root Applications folder in a misguided attempt to "organize" your applications, as you would be in effect hiding them.
                • 5. Re: Can't open RAW files in CS3 or Bridge
                  Level 1
                  Thanks for the suggestions. As it turns out, Photoshop, Bridge, and Camera RAW are all working fine. My problem was corrupted files. A disk failure/problem made it so everytime I tried to open a folder in Bridge the files would corrupt. I repaired the problems with the disk (using Disk Warrior), restored the files from a Retrospect back-up, and now everything is working just fine. Thanks for your help.
                  • 6. Re: Can't open RAW files in CS3 or Bridge
                    Greetings! I am having the same problem.

I'm a graphic designer (not a photographer), working on Mac 10.4.11, CS3 (ps is 10.0.1, bridge is 2.1.1.9) with the latest ACR plug-in (4.3.1) and the latest DNG Converter. Our photo library is on a server, accessed by multiple computers.

We can preview .CR2 in Bridge, open .CR2 in PS.

6However, we cannot preview or open .CRW files. We have tested on three machines, all with the same problem. In the past (before CS3) we were able to open and process these files.

Tried opening .CR2 files in CS2 and couldn't. Couldn't open them with DNG Converter or Graphix Converter.

Have tried all the standards fixes:
                    1. Correctly updated the most recent Camera Raw plug-in, following Adobes very explicit instructions as to where the plug-in goes (checked it three times).
                    2. Removed a copy of the Camera Raw plugin from a secondary folder, hoping that might have caused conflict.
                    3. Reset my preferences in Photoshop and Bridge to default.
                    4. Purged the cache in Bridge (via TOOLS, not in preferences) and refreshed AND told Bridge to build new thumbnails/caches
                    5. Closed/reopened Bridge.
                    6. Repaired permissions
                    7. Restarted my computer

We are going to try to find a disc with original RAW photos that have never been placed on the server to see if it's a server issue. However I'm thinking that's not the problem.

Any ideas as to why we can no longer open these CRW files?

I have two problems I need to solve:
                    1. For future photoshoots: does turning OFF sRAW setting help prevent this problem?
                    2. Is there anyway to convert the .CR2 files without using Photoshop CS3/2 or DNG Converter? We're hoping to try to salvage the photos we have.

I did see Elev Man's comment about the problem being corrupt files...disk failure/problem fixed with Disk Warrior. I'll also check that out.
                    Thanks!
                    • 7. Re: Can't open RAW files in CS3 or Bridge
                      >2. Removed a copy of the Camera Raw plugin from a secondary folder, hoping that might have caused conflict.

How had that copy gotten there?

If it was the one installed by default, then that one was in the correct location and that's where you should have installed ACR 4.3.1.

It's very common for Mac users to make the mistake of looking at their user Library instead of the ROOT Library.

If you have the ACR in the correct location, then your files could very well have been damaged.
                      • 8. Re: Can't open RAW files in CS3 or Bridge
                        John_Cornicello_Photo Level 2
                        What camera are the CRW files from? Do you have any other software (such as Preview) that can open the CRW files?

If the CR2 files work OK and the CRW files are from a supported camera and cannot be opened in any other software, too, the CRW files may indeed be damaged.
                        • 9. Re: Can't open RAW files in CS3 or Bridge
                          Level 1
                          I had put the "second" plug-in originally in the Applications/Photoshop CS3 plug-in folder.

When I downloaded the ACR plug-in again today I read Adobe's direction and it stated explicitly to place the plug-in in: Finder/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-ins/CS3/File Formats.

I did place it in my Powermac library, not the library in my user folder.

So, when I checked PS plug-ins, it listed Camera Raw twice. I removed the one from the Applications/Photoshop plug-ins folder and left the one that I had placed based on Adobe instructions.

Frankly it's a moot point since my computer is not the only one having this same issue.
                          • 10. Re: Can't open RAW files in CS3 or Bridge
                            Greg Barnett Level 2
                            Kristen-

A shot in the dark but try doing a get info (command I) on one of the files that doesnt open. Im wondering if perhaps you lost ownership (or access permissions) in the process of copying them to or from the server?
                            • 11. Re: Can't open RAW files in CS3 or Bridge
                              Level 1
                              John:
                              The photos are from 2006, and I believe the camera was a Canon, but I don't know specifics, we are working on finding that information out.
                              As for Preview...nope, can't open with that either. We have someone who is going to try to open some of the files on an older MAC (not upgraded to CS3) to see if that works.

We are dealing with hundreds of these file types on our server. I can't begin to imagine where to start to try to pinpoint what the problem is. If it's corruption, well, I am concerned about Eval Man's note about disk/file failure that at one point caused corruption when opened in Bridge. That's a big YIKES! So, does that mean if I try to open others up will it cause corruption?
                              • 12. Re: Can't open RAW files in CS3 or Bridge
                                Level 1
                                Greg:
                                Interesting. I chose one randomly. First off, it said the default app to open was Preview (which doesn't recognize the file). When I tried to switch that to PS CS3, it said the icon could not change to show that application, however even though the icon shows incorrectly it "should open in the correct application"

Ownership: I can read and write. Owner is greyed out (I'll talk to the "owner" about this part of it)

Preview is the strangest of all: a bunch of colorful horizontal scratchy lines...either an indication it's corrupt, or simply macs way of showing confusion about what to open with?
                                • 13. Re: Can't open RAW files in CS3 or Bridge
                                  John_Cornicello_Photo Level 2
                                  Can you put one of the problem files on a server someplace and give us a link to it?
                                  • 14. Re: Can't open RAW files in CS3 or Bridge
                                    Greg Barnett Level 2
                                    If you click on the little padlock icon next to owner, will it let you make a change?

I brought up the owner/permissions idea because Ive seen this issue before when students move files on and off our servers. For a while it was a pretty regular problem until one of my system guys figured out something was set up incorrectly in terms of how the servers propagated rights to the user level. I dont remember what the fix was but could try to track it down if you run out of other options.

But if youre not having issues with other file types it may not be related.
                                    • 15. Re: Can't open RAW files in CS3 or Bridge
                                      can't move file in bridge to cs3. Only opens in elements 5.0.

In open dialog box elements is only program shown as default

How do I change default from elements to cs3
                                      • 16. Re: Can't open RAW files in CS3 or Bridge
                                        Level 1
                                        On a Macintosh, select one of the files. Choose "Get Info" from the file menu, and there will be an "Open With" section. You may have to click the triangle to view which program is set to open it. Change the pulldown menu to the program you want to use to open it (CS3). Below that is a button saying "Change All" that you can click so all files like it are opened with CS3.

I believe that will change the program used by the Open Dialog and the default choice in "Open With" dialog boxes.

The process is similar on a Windows machine, but I am not familiar with the specifics to give a step by step. I believe you right click on a file and choose "Properties", where you will have the options.