27 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2008 8:50 PM by Dirk Williams

It's Shipping -- Real World Camera Raw for CS3

Level 1
      Folks,

Just a quick ping to let you know that Real World Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS3 is shipping. I got my copy today (but hey, I'm the co-author, I'm supposed to get mine early).

:~)

I've done a story on PhotoshopNews.com about the book shipping and a feature story about the printing of the book.

See:
      It's Shipping--Real World Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS3
      and...
      Printing RWCR CS3

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programing....
        • 1. Re: It's Shipping -- Real World Camera Raw for CS3
          John_Cornicello_Photo Level 2
          Jeff, it looks like you somehow got "curly" quotes and a real Em-dash into your text. I've fixed it. The link should work now.
          • 2. Re: It's Shipping -- Real World Camera Raw for CS3
            Level 1
            ...it seemed to be working for ME...I've had problems with hard coded links from PSN before.

Thanks!
            • 3. Re: It's Shipping -- Real World Camera Raw for CS3
              Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              Congratulations. Looks very good. Love the sidestory too!
              • 4. Re: It's Shipping -- Real World Camera Raw for CS3
                Robert Shomler Level 4
                >And no, if you DID pre-order the book from Amazon and you received a message saying the book was delayed until December, well, Amazon is wrong. I dont know what Amazon was thinking (apparently it was some accidental automated message) but Im here to tell you that the book was always scheduled for Fall 2007″ and I would say that a shipping date of November 8th, 2007 falls under the heading of on time.

(The above quote is from Jeff/s "It's Shipping..." linked article.)

Jeff. FYI I just minutes ago ordered the book from Amazon. Amazon shows it as pre-order. Their order process and confirmation email gave a shipping date of January 8. In my experience their estimated shipping dates have been later than actual ship before. Hope you're correct on this one.

And thanks for a most interesting side story on the printing.
                • 6. Re: It's Shipping -- Real World Camera Raw for CS3
                  Bill_Janes Level 2
                  I see that Robert Shomler received an estimated shipping date of January 8 for RWCR. I've had the book on pre-order for months and here is their estimate for delivery:

Delivery estimate: December 14, 2007 - December 17, 2007
                  Shipping estimate: December 12, 2007

* 1 of: Real World Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS3 (Real World)
                  Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC

As Jeff previously stated, Amazon is clueless. If anyone actually finds the book in stores or online, please post that availability here so that forum members can bypass Amazon.
                  • 7. Re: It's Shipping -- Real World Camera Raw for CS3
                    Omke Oudeman Level 5
                    Bill

I have received also again a delay from Amazon.com, I have just ordered a copy directly from the Peachpit Press store and they promised to ship it (international) within a few days
                    • 8. Re: It's Shipping -- Real World Camera Raw for CS3
                      Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
                      Amazon is a mess. They're insulting me by offering free shipping, which I am entitled to anyway.

Thank you for writing to us at Amazon.com.

I'm very sorry that your order has been delayed . We normally obtain this item from a supplier who can usually send it to us within time limit (as listed on our web site) from the time your order is placed; however, in this case, the supplier has taken longer than expected to respond to us.

We sent an e-mail notification as soon as we learned from our supplier that the status of this item had changed. Unfortunately, our reliance on suppliers and manufacturers for information about their stock means that, occasionally, our database will not reflect all changes.

In addition to our large selection, one of the benefits we'd like to offer our customers is convenience, and we have not met that standard in this case. Please accept our sincere apologies.

However It will be available from Amazon.com from December 13, 2007 as listed on our web.If u still want to buy the order from Amazon.com we will wave off the shipping cost as an exception If not as you have mentioned in your mail can buy directly from the manufacturer.

We appreciate your business and hope that you will give us the chance to serve you again in the near future.

Best regards,

Abdul Wahab
                      Amazon.com Customer Service
                      http://www.amazon.com
                      • 10. Re: It's Shipping -- Real World Camera Raw for CS3
                        Omke Oudeman Level 5
                        Message from Peachpit Press:

Shipping Information
                        We shipped your order with the following information:

Order number: WEB40265247077
                        Date of order: 11/12/2007 2:58:07 PM EST
                        Shipping Method: International shipping

Order Summary:
                        Items in Order

1 Merchandise Subtotal $35.99

Shipping and Handling $9.00

Applicable Sales Tax $0.00
                        Grand Total $44.99

Order Details
                        Real World Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS3, ISBN 0321518675, $35.99 each Quantity: 1
                        • 11. Re: It's Shipping -- Real World Camera Raw for CS3
                          jrsforums Level 1
                          ....and one better....

Date of order: 11/14/2007 2:36:05 AM EST
                          Shipping Method: Ground

Order Summary:
                          Items in Order 1
                          Merchandise Subtotal $31.49
                          Shipping and Handling $0.00
                          Applicable Sales Tax $2.13
                          Grand Total $33.62

Order Details
                          This order contains

1. Real World Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS3, 9780321518675, $31.49 each Quantity: 1

I became a "member" and the price went down....free shipping was standard...scheduled to get today, 11/16

John
                          • 12. Re: It's Shipping -- Real World Camera Raw for CS3
                            Bill_Janes Level 2
                            > ....and one better....

>Date of order: 11/14/2007 2:36:05 AM EST
                            >Shipping Method: Ground

>Order Summary:
                            >Items in Order 1
                            >Merchandise Subtotal $31.49
                            >Shipping and Handling $0.00
                            >Applicable Sales Tax $2.13
                            >Grand Total $33.62

John,

Very nice, but can you let us know where you got that deal?
                            • 13. Re: It's Shipping -- Real World Camera Raw for CS3
                              Robert Shomler Level 4
                              I just did the same-- cancelled Amazon order and purchased direct from Peachpit at member price with free ground shipping. Placed order today/Friday; Peachpit says will ship Monday.
                              • 14. Re: It's Shipping -- Real World Camera Raw for CS3
                                Well, Amazon shipped it after all. :D

Looks like a case of one hand not knowing what the other one is doing.

No sales tax, free shipping.

The following items have been shipped to you by Amazon.com:
                                ---------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Qty Item Price Shipped Subtotal
                                Amazon.com items (Sold by Amazon.com, LLC):
                                1 Real World Camera Raw with... $29.69 1 $29.69

Shipped via USPS (estimated arrival date: 26-November-2007).
                                Tracking number: X1X2XXX12X6932571745XX1X

Item Subtotal: $29.69
                                Shipping & Handling: $0.00

EB Pre-order Guarantee $0.00

Total: $29.69

Their estimated arrival date is always way off. It's never taken even 48 hours. So I should have it by Monday or Tuesday.
                                • 15. Re: It's Shipping -- Real World Camera Raw for CS3
                                  Greg Barnett Level 2
                                  Hey Jeff-

Quick FYI, Amazon finally delivered, my copies (had to get Patti her own...) arrived today.

It looks great!

Greg
                                  • 16. Re: It's Shipping -- Real World Camera Raw for CS3
                                    Level 1
                                    >Quick FYI, Amazon finally delivered, my copies (had to get Patti her own...) arrived today.

Yep, Amazon US had copies at some of their warehouses as early as Nov 9th and some shipped as early as the 12th...but it's shipping now in volume...

>It looks great!

Cool! But make sure you actually READ IT, not just look at it...

:~)
                                    • 17. Re: It's Shipping -- Real World Camera Raw for CS3
                                      Greg Barnett Level 2
                                      Well gimme a couple hours, would ya!... ;-)
                                      • 18. Re: It's Shipping -- Real World Camera Raw for CS3
                                        Omke Oudeman Level 5
                                        Jeff

Peachpit delivered mine international with lightspeed :-)

Since English is not my first language it takes me a while to finish the book but I must say that your writing is just like Bruce used to do, easy understandable, entertaining and yet very interesting.

Also good to read that you are honest about improvements regarding Cache management (although it is an understatement to call it "a bit temperamental", but again it is good to be honest about it!)

I started with the Bridge section and the workflow. It is satisfying to read that I use already a great deal of your recommendation but the part about DNG has convinced me to dive deeper in it and give it a go (again at your advice, when I have the time for it and not in the current production workflow)

Keep up the good work, regards

Omke
                                        • 19. Re: It's Shipping -- Real World Camera Raw for CS3
                                          Level 1
                                          > but the part about DNG has convinced me to dive deeper in it and give it a go

When working in a Bridge/Camera Raw/Photoshop workflow, I tend to ingest the actual native raw files, do initial selects and gross edits and basic metadata work via templates and THEN do the conversion to DNG. I'll use the DNG as my working files and the original raws as an archive. I tend to do this more with studio shoots. I tend to use Lightroom when I'm on the road.

When working in Lightroom first, I tend to ingest and convert to DNG upon ingestion (when in the road working on a laptop) while using the backup copyusually working on a pair of external FW drives one for working DNG files and 1 for BU of the original raws. Then, when I get back to the studio I make sure I write to XMP and export the new shoot as a catalog and import into my studio copy of Lightroom. Then I'll also cache the newly imported images in Bridge as well so I can get at the image either in Bridge or Lightroom.

It's a bit of a chore now since I do work in Camera Raw a lot (well, DOH, I had to to do the book!) but I also keep all my digital files in a Lightroom catalog which is now up to about 74K...

Then, depending on what I'll need to do, I'll either work out of LR or Bridge/Camera Raw...

If I'm doing a high-end final print, I generally process out of Camera Raw as a Smart Object and stack multiple layers of CR processed images...if I'm working on a batch of images I'll work out of Lightroom since the workflow seems to suit me better.

In either event, I've found DNG to be better than native raws with sidecar files.
                                          • 20. Re: It's Shipping -- Real World Camera Raw for CS3
                                            Level 1
                                            I am about finished with your fine book - also had the previous edition - and I still can't ge my head around the difference between the "Recovery, Fill Light, Blacks" on the Basic panel, and the "Highlights, Lights, Darks, Shadows" on the Tone Curve.

This needs some better explanation - at least to me!

-ddog
                                            • 21. Re: It's Shipping -- Real World Camera Raw for CS3
                                              Level 1
                                              The parametric curves is just that...a CURVE of the tones in the image after setting the Basic panel.

Reread what Recover does...it's a highlight recovery to retain textural detail even beyond the first clipped channel Fill Light is an adaptive adjustment (it makes a mask) to lighten the shadows. Exposure and Blacks are black clip settings...
                                              • 22. Re: It's Shipping -- Real World Camera Raw for CS3
                                                Dirk Williams Level 1
                                                I saw one copy of the new book on the shelves today at B&N in Tucson, Arizona. It's nice to take a gander at it first before ordering...
                                                • 23. Re: It's Shipping -- Real World Camera Raw for CS3
                                                  Dirk,

Buy the book. Trust me on that one.

Unlike Michael Reichmann's review, my opinion is totally unbiased, as Jeff has called me (among others) an a$$hole in public and told a few of us us to go perform an anatomically impossible act on ourselves. The book is still indispensable, in my view.
                                                  • 24. Re: It's Shipping -- Real World Camera Raw for CS3
                                                    Dirk Williams Level 1

"Buy the book"

I am. I just don't want to pay the store price. I can save on ordering from lets say amazon.com and get free shipping. Plus I have a $25.00 gift certificate with them to use. :-)

• 25. Re: It's Shipping -- Real World Camera Raw for CS3
                                                      Level 1
                                                      I'll add to the praise for the book. Perhaps I'm denser than most, but the whole discussion of the implications of the linear response of digital sensors leading to very little data used to describe shadows and darker tones was a real eye-opener for me, bucking the conventional wisdom of biasing exposure downward to protect highlights. The discussion throughout is rigorous enough for my geek-streak, and also very practical. Nicely done.

If Jeff (or anyone) is looking for ideas for articles, I know I would benefit from seeing the *wrong* way of editing an image, together with a discussion of why it's wrong (or at least inferior) and a presentation of a better approach. This might clarify instances in which multiple tools are available that appear to do similar things, but there may be more subtle reasons why one is a better choice given specific circumstances of the image being worked on (e.g., brightness vs. exposure, contrast slider vs. tone curves, and interaction between parametric and point tone curves, which appear to be additive). The Real World Sharpening book has illuminating examples that show "when you've gone too far" or used the wrong approach, and something similar might be helpful in teaching raw conversion.

Again, nice job on the book!
                                                      • 26. Re: It's Shipping -- Real World Camera Raw for CS3
                                                        Level 1
                                                        I got my book and am halfways through it. If the sencond half is as good at the first half it's a winner.

I got my copy at Borders. I happened to come a across a Borders coupon for 40% off. So I got mine for about $28.
                                                        • 27. Re: It's Shipping -- Real World Camera Raw for CS3
                                                          Dirk Williams Level 1
                                                          I ordered the book today from Amazon.com. I used my $25.00 coupons towards it. Should get it next week. I went with the free shipping.