4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2007 7:09 PM by Ramón G Castañeda

Preserving original with JPG in ACR/PS

New to ACR & CS3. CS3 is setup to use ACR for JPG. My understanding is that ACR changes to a RAW file do not permanently alter the file. However, ACR changes to a JPG file do permanently alter the file. I want to have a workflow to preserve the original JPG file and save any ACR/PS changes to a separate file. At what point in ACR is the JPG permanently changed?

There are three buttons at the bottom: Open Image, Cancel, and Done. I believe Cancel doesn't save any changes and Done will save changes into the JPG file but what about Open Image? I know the image is opened in PS but is the original JPG file preserved is Save As is used in PS? Are changes discarded in ACR and PS if the image isn't saved in PS?

Tim
        • 1. Re: Preserving original with JPG in ACR/PS
          Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
          >ACR changes to a JPG file do permanently alter the file

No, they DO NOT.

The adjustments are written to metadata only.

To verify this, go to Bridge > Edit menu > Develop Settings > Clear Settings. That gives you your unaltered JPEG back.
          • 2. Re: Preserving original with JPG in ACR/PS
            > I believe Cancel doesn't save any changes

Correct.

>and Done will save changes into the JPG file

No. See above. The adjustments are written to metadata only. The pixels in the original JPEG file are untouched.

> but what about Open Image? I know the image is opened in PS

Correct.

>but is the original JPG file preserved is Save As is used in PS?

I can't follow that sentence at all. :/ Did you mean "is the original JPG file preserved if Save As is used in PS?" If this is the case, the answer is that the original JPEG file couldn't care less what you do to the copy you opened and which exists only in RAM and or virtual memory (scratch disk).

>Are changes discarded in ACR and PS if the image isn't saved in PS?

Of course not. They're written to the original RAW file's metadata the instant you open the image in Photoshop. At that time the opened image exists only in RAM and or virtual memory (scratch disk). Whether you save it or not has nothing to do with the adjustments you made in ACR and which were written to metadata.

Again, you can get rid of the adjustments by going to Edit menu > Develop Settings > Clear Settings.
            • 3. Re: Preserving original with JPG in ACR/PS
              Level 1
              Ramon,

Thank-you for clearing up some of my confusion by pointing out that ACR changes, even to a JPG, are saved in metadata, just like RAW files. Now I see how to clear the ACR changes. Great.

Yes, you did interpret my typo correctly by changing "is" to "if".

I can rest easier now, realizing the pixels in the original jpg files are untouched. Thank-you.

Tim
              • 4. Re: Preserving original with JPG in ACR/PS
                You're welcome, Tim. Sorry for my initial confusion re your typo.