11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2009 8:50 AM by xbytor2

Save RAW as JPEG

Hi all,

I use adobe Photoshop Elements 5 and the RAW camera plugin for my Canon EOS400D.
      I can open and edit RAW pictures, but I can't find a possibility to save this pictures as JPEG file. In RAW filter I can save CNG and RAW and if I open this picture (klick on "open in Photoshop") I can find only JPEG2000, TIFF and Photoshop RAW, EPS and PNG under "save as".

What's wrong?
        • 1. Re: Save RAW as JPEG
          Level 1
          You'll need to mode change from 16 bits/channel to 8 bits/channel in order to save as a JPEG.
          • 2. Re: Save RAW as JPEG
            Level 1
            Hi, Jeff,

thanks for Your answer. But please can You tell me, mode change on windows desktop properties, in Adobe Photoshop (maybe within the plugin) or where?
            If in adobe where can I find this setting?

Regards Michael
            • 3. Re: Save RAW as JPEG
              Omke Oudeman Level 5
              In Photoshop got to Image - Mode and in that fly out menu change 16 bit to 8 bit. In ACR at the bottom is a blue line (like a web link) click on this and you will be able to change the depth from 16 to 8 bit.

But frankly I'm not sure, after checking your post you or on Elements and this is the Photoshop forum, I'm not familiar with Elements. however there is a good change it works the same way..
              • 4. Re: Save RAW as JPEG
                Level 1
                Hi Omke,

thank You very much, that was the problem.
                I have select 8 bit/channel (at the bottom of RAW-filter plugin) and now I can open the picture in PSE and save in all formats I wish.

Regards

Michael
                • 5. Re: Save RAW as JPEG
                  Hingham

Thanks to both of you for this. The conversion from RAW to JPEG has been driving me nuts and the conversion to 8 bit was the key. I'm using Elements 7 and the conversion worked fine.Made my editing changes, opened the image and saved it in JPEG. Now why is that so hard and why does Adobe keep it a secret?!

• 6. Re: Save RAW as JPEG
                    Ramón G Castañeda Level 4

It is by no means Adobe's "secret".  Had you bothered to inform yourself (Google is your friend), you would have learned that the JPEG format support does not support 16-bits, layers or transparency.

• 7. Re: Save RAW as JPEG
                      JimHess-hP0R75

Yes, but who has time to read the instructions?  JPEG is not an Adobe format.  But it seems that quite a few people get caught in this little trap.  I see it brought up fairly frequently on other forums.  Someday I might even take the time to read the instructions.  But not now, I'm too busy.

• 8. Re: Save RAW as JPEG
                        Hingham Level 1

Thanks for the reminder to inform myself, Ramon. I guess that's a welcome to the forum I didn't expect.

Let's see: Google, when queried, gave me almost 10 million responses (in .33 seconds, no less). The first page consisted mostly of offers for software to make the conversion easy. Nothing more helpful on the next couple of pages. Shoot, flashy new Bing gave me 12 million but with much the same type of result.

Then there's the Adobe user manual for Elements 7, all 471 pages of it. Great stuff in it and a useful tool for me. But doing a document search for 'RAW conversion' or 'RAW to JPEG' produces exactly 0 references. Asking for references to RAW produces 115 instances. I may have overlooked something, but I find nothing that is remotely helpful in answering my question.

Again, my thanks for your help but hold the condescension please.

• 9. Re: Save RAW as JPEG
                          Ramón G Castañeda Level 4

Hingham, if that's condescencion in your book, I can't promise you won't run into more of it.  I can't promise to ignore your posts either, as in all likelihood I'll have forgotten who you are in less than one hour.

At the risk of being condescending again, I'll say that it boggles the mind that some folks save their images as JPEGs without thoroughly understanding the limitations of the lossy format.  The least they can do is read a Wikipedia entry on it.

• 10. Re: Save RAW as JPEG
                            John Joslin Level 6

Hingham wrote:

Let's see: Google, when queried, gave me almost 10 million responses (in .33 seconds, no less). The first page consisted mostly of offers for software to make the conversion easy. Nothing more helpful on the next couple of pages. Shoot, flashy new Bing gave me 12 million but with much the same type of result.

Never mind learning about the software. A little learning about the right way to use search engines would not come amiss.

Don't worry, you are in a vast majority of people who also don't know how.

• 11. Re: Save RAW as JPEG
                              xbytor2 Level 4

lrn2google:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=raw+conversion+jpeg

Searcing for 'raw jpeg conversion' (without the quotes) yields a Page 1 full of relevant links. Bing also does well with these search terms.