6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2007 8:05 PM by Ramón G Castañeda

Camera Raw "Patch"

I've just been putting in the patches for Bridge and Photoshop CS3. When unzipping the one for Camera Raw, I got the file Camera Raw.8bi. But I can't seem to find any instructions as to where to put it, and when I do a Find in my Vista, there is no other Camera Raw.8bi apparently on my system. What do I do in Vista Home Premium with the update of ACR?

Thanks

kdoc
        • 1. Re: Camera Raw "Patch"
          Level 1
          I guess you didn't scroll down on the page where you downloaded it from?

To install with Adobe Creative Suite 3 or Photoshop CS3:

1. Exit Photoshop CS3.
          2. Open My Computer.
          3. Double-click Local Disk (C:).
          4. Navigate to: (Please read directory carefully)

Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats

5. Move the existing Camera Raw.8bi plug-in to another location (for example, a new folder on your desktop). Ensure you keep this version in case you need to revert back.

6. Copy the Camera Raw plug-in, Camera Raw.8bi, from the download into the same folder as Step 4.

7. Launch Photoshop CS3 or Adobe Bridge.

Note: If generic camera thumbnails appear in Adobe Bridge, follow these steps:

1. Check to make sure the plug-in was installed in the correct directory in step 4 above.
          2. Start Bridge.
          3. Choose Tools > Cache > Purge Central Cache.

Important: Purging the Central Cache deletes cached thumbnail information for all folders. It also deletes labels, ratings, and rotation settings for read-only files (for example, files on a CD or locked files) or file formats that don't have XMP support.
          • 2. Re: Camera Raw "Patch"
            Level 1
            P.S. In addition to "Thanks", this is the site I downloaded it from:
            http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/thankyou.jsp?ftpID=3826&fileID=3574

I don't see any instructions here, even with scrolling down.

How come I didn't find under "Search" the identical file, even when revealing all Hidden and Protected files? What's going on with Vista, that finding files is so difficult?

kdoc
            • 3. Re: Camera Raw "Patch"
              ArrrBee Level 1
              I don't know why it seems to be beyond Adobe's programs to do something so
              very simple and that is create a setup routine that puts the new .8bi file
              in the proper place, copy the converter program to a folder in Program
              Files\DNG Converter and put an icon for it on the desktop. It amazes me that
              Adobe can't seem do something so simple.

Robert
              • 4. Re: Camera Raw "Patch"
                michael shaffer Level 1
                The installation of ACR can be automatic and intervention=free ... simply go to the 'help' menu in PS. The DNG converter is however free and stand-alone -- personally I don't mind that Adobe doesn't presume where it should be.

my CA$0.02 :)
                • 5. Re: Camera Raw "Patch"
                  Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
                  > The installation of ACR can be automatic and intervention=free ... simply go to the 'help' menu in PS.

Which is fine when the Adobe updater is working, which is not always.
                  • 6. Re: Camera Raw "Patch"
                    Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
                    >and when I do a Find in my Vista, there is no other Camera Raw.8bi apparently on my system.

Evidently the Find function in Vista is as unreliable as Spotblight in Mac OS X. :/

I use the free EasyFind on my Mac and have disabled Spotblight permanently and completely. Check Version Tracker for a comparable Windows version.