8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2007 9:17 PM by (Wes_Duenkel)

Applying settings preset to multiple images in ACR v4.3

Level 1
      When attempting to apply a preset to multiple images in ACR, the preset is only applied to the "current" or "active" image. The other images in the thumbnail pane remain unchanged, even though they are selected. This function works correctly in Bridge, but not in ACR. "Synchronizing" the files does not do the same thing, as my preset incorporates "Apply auto tone adjustments." What am I missing?
        • 1. Re: Applying settings preset to multiple images in ACR v4.3
          JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
          On my Windows XP system, which is NOT anywhere near state of the art, all I have to do is highlight multiple images in Bridge, open them into ACR, click on the "Select All" button, and then apply the preset. If this isn't working for you, I don't have any suggestions.

I don't know if this will give you a clue or not. But I have discovered that if I have selected a number of images in ACR, and the more highlighted image has already had the preset applied, then ACR doesn't apply the preset to the other images. At least that is a little nuance I have discovered on my computer.

Incidentally, it would be very helpful if you would clarify what operating system you are using.
          • 2. Re: Applying settings preset to multiple images in ACR v4.3
            Level 1
            Thanks for the response. I am using Windows XP SP2. Here is what I am doing:

1) Select all images.

2) Apply "camara raw defaults" to the images. (This works on all images, and the thumbnails change).

3) Apply my preset (ex: Motorsports1). The "auto tone adjustments" portion of the preset is applied to the active image, but the remainder of the thumbnails to not change, and the preset is not reflected (ex: "brightness" doesn't change to my preset. Curiously, in the image settings pulldown menu, "Motorsports1" is "checked" as the active setting, yet the setting is not reflected in the exposure, recovery, fill light, blacks, brightness, or contrast sliders. The remaining aspects of my preset are applied (HSL, saturation, etc.)

Apparently, the tones of the "active" image is adjusted automatically, but not those of the remaining images. This does, however, work in Bridge...
            • 3. Re: Applying settings preset to multiple images in ACR v4.3
              Level 1
              Unless you select "Apply auto tone adjustments" when when you create the saved preset, Auto will not be applied as a preset.
              • 4. Re: Applying settings preset to multiple images in ACR v4.3
                Level 1
                Thanks for the reply, however "Apply auto tone adjustments" is was part of my preset. Perhaps I didn't explain that well enough in my previous posts. Again, it works perfectly in Bridge, however it does not function correctly in ACR (see my previous post for an explanation).
                • 5. Re: Applying settings preset to multiple images in ACR v4.3
                  Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
                  Wes,

Your posts leave me confused.

Are you actually opening the images in ACR after selecting them in Bridge and then clicking on the 'Select All" button in the ACR dialog button as well?
                  • 6. Re: Applying settings preset to multiple images in ACR v4.3
                    Level 1
                    No. I only referenced Bridge in that "Apply auto tone adjustments" function works perfeclty with multiple images in Bridge, but not in ACR.

I am opening multiple images in ACR and applying a preset that includes a "Apply auto tone adjustments" function. All settings from the preset are applied, except the tone adjustments remain unchanged (i.e., not automatically adjusted). The only image that is automatically adjusted is the active image (the image visible in the preview pane). I suspect this is a bug.
                    • 7. Re: Applying settings preset to multiple images in ACR v4.3
                      Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
                      Sorry, Wes, but you're not answering my question. Are you clicking on the 'Select All" button in the ACR dialog box as well or not? (You have to.)

Also, what boxes are checked in the "Synchronize" button dialog box in ACR after you click on the 'Select All" button in the ACR dialog box?
                      • 8. Re: Applying settings preset to multiple images in ACR v4.3
                        Level 1
                        Pardon my misunderstanding of the question. I just tried it, and the method of selecting the images has no impact (e.g., the "select all" button, or hold "shift" or "ctrl" and click on multiple images...)

All the boxes are checked in the "synchronize" dialog. However, this synchronizes all of the settings to the "active image," which ties the tone adjustments to that image, which is undesirable. I just want to automatically adjust the tones (as part of my preset) to all of the selected images.

Based upon input from this tread, this is the refined procedure I use to "check" if it's working (which hasn't for me so far):

1) Select multiple images (or all, if you prefer)

2) Apply "camera raw defaults" Note that the settings default to Blacks: +5, Brightness: +50, Contrast: +25

3) Apply a saved preset (saved with the check box "Apply auto tone adjustments" checked).

4) Note that the Blacks, Brightness, and Contrast sliders only "adjust" for the "active" image, but don't change for the other selections. They remain at Blacks: +5, Brightness: +50, Contrast: +25

Again, if I perform this procedure in Bridge, it works for all selected images. However, in ACR, it functions as described above.

Does that clear it up?

Thanks for the prompt responses so far. I hope I'm simply doing something incorrectly!