8 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2010 2:04 PM by stephenbest

ACR and Output Profiles again.

I read a techie fight about this subject in an earlier post.
      I understand that ProPhotoRGB 8 or 16 is a possible way to go and then reconvert or what ever.
      The question that was never answered was: Can we change from the 4 default spaces to a different color space that we want to use while still in ACR?
      At this point a simple yes or no would be in order.
      If it is a no answer. I would like to respectfully request it be an option in the next version of ACR.
      Thanks, Ben
        • 1. Re: ACR and Output Profiles again.
          Level 1
          >Can we change from the 4 default spaces to a different color space that we want to use while still in ACR?

The four output spaces available in Camera Raw are hard coded and can not be changed...if you want to do a transform to an additional alternative profile after conversion, convert as Pro Photo RGB in 16 bit from Camera Raw and then do a "Convert to Profile" in Photoshop. The results will, essentially, be the same as if you exported from Camera Raw in that non-standard profile.

If you want Camera Raw to use arbitrary color spaces, you'll have to explain why a lot better that "because"...
          • 2. Re: ACR and Output Profiles again.
            Level 1
            Thanks Jeff,
            I receive poor originals from clients that need repair. I like to open them in ACR because I can make a lot of moves in one place and test the waters
            IE. I had a very dark, noisy, but basically OK Jpeg image that I would open, if possible in ProfotoRGB but in 1.0 or 1.4 gamma false profile and then do what I thought needed to be done.
            This I know could be accomplished in other ways, but I was playing "what if?" and asking "why not?".
            I did my own work around in Photoshop and got the job done.
            The idea is just one of convenience and time saving. ACR 4.3 is a great asset to me for both raw and cooked files.
            The result of the prior wordfest on this subject indicated to me that I am an art guy, not a computer science guy. I would like it If ACR would let me do what I think I need to do in a way that is conceptualy possible for my undersized brain to understand and have ACR do what needs to be done behind the scenes.
            Regards, Ben
            • 3. Re: ACR and Output Profiles again.
              Level 1
              If Camera Raw opens a TIFF or JPEG file, it honors the embedded profile so you are covered there...the use of false profiles for doing color correction isn't a very compelling use case though. Using Camera Raw to do the color correction is one thing but using an alternative color profile for that purpose is really beyond the scope of Camera Raw's tasks. That's why there is Photoshop.
              • 4. Re: ACR and Output Profiles again.
                stephenbest

Bump.

Just downloaded the ACR 6.1 RC. Still the same lame choices for output spaces. Doesn't anybody at Adobe use an L* workflow? I know I can export in ProPhoto RGB and convert to eciRGB or alternative spaces of my own, but I can't see why a custom option couldn't be added. How hard can it be?

• 5. Re: ACR and Output Profiles again.
                  Jeff Schewe Level 5

stephenbest wrote:

Still the same lame choices for output spaces.

If you know what you are doing, ProPhoto RGB give you everything you might possible need once opened in Photoshop (meaning you can go from PPRGB to pretty much anything else with little nor no loss).

• 6. Re: ACR and Output Profiles again.
                    stephenbest Level 1

I realize that, but why can't I get there directly?

Assuming the conversion isn't hard-coded it's probably 10 minutes work to add a custom option.

• 7. Re: ACR and Output Profiles again.
                      Jeff Schewe Level 5

stephenbest wrote:

I realize that, but why can't I get there directly?

Assuming the conversion isn't hard-coded it's probably 10 minutes work to add a custom option.

It ain't 10 minutes (unless you are really, REALY slow) just make an action to do the profile to profile  conversion and run the action in batch...as for why arbitrary profiles aren't currently supported, well, the answer is time...would you rather have arbitrary color spaces profiles or lens corrections? Quick, you choose...either/or...

I would choose Lens Corrections in Camera Raw (cause it's pretty easy to record an action to do a color space transform).

Just sayin'

• 8. Re: ACR and Output Profiles again.
                        stephenbest Level 1

Jeff Schewe wrote:

would you rather have arbitrary color spaces profiles or lens corrections? Quick, you choose...either/or...

I don't see how one precludes the other, but to answer your question the ability to choose my own output space. This is something I have to do after nearly every raw conversion, but don't see myself using lens corrections much. None of my lenses are currently supported anyway. But all this is a distraction. The output space issue should have been addressed long ago. I'm hardly the first person to raise the issue.