9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2007 12:22 PM by (Jeff_Schewe)

Camera Raw 4.3.1 won't work with Nikon NEF

I just cannot get CS3 to recognize the NEF files being made with my Nikon D300 and D200.

I'm working with PS CS3, updated to ver. 10.1, and have carefully loaded Camera Raw.8bi 4.3.1 in the requisite location(s). But when I attempt to load a NEF file using Bridge (which, I might add, only shows generic icons rather than thumbnails), I get the following PS box: "Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document."

I've tried erasing the .8bi files and reloading, all to no avail.

Any advice from anyone?

Thanks.

Bob
        • 1. Re: Camera Raw 4.3.1 won't work with Nikon NEF
          JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
          You indicated that you have Camera Raw installed in the "requisite location(s)". Look at your instructions carefully. There is only ONE location for ACR. If you have it anywhere else on your system, especially within the Adobe folders, ACR will not work. Also, make sure that the Nikon plug-in is not installed. It interferes with ACR.
          • 2. Re: Camera Raw 4.3.1 won't work with Nikon NEF
            Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
            After installing ACR 4.3.1, you have to Purge the Cache for each folder through the Tools menu in Bridge. Do not use the global Purge Cache command in preferences; that one is broken (at least on the Mac version).
            • 3. Re: Camera Raw 4.3.1 won't work with Nikon NEF
              Level 1
              >have carefully loaded Camera Raw.8bi 4.3.1 in the requisite location(s)

Uh huh...and exactly where do you think that "requisite location(s)" is? There is only ONE single place where the plug-in will be properly installed_only one_and unless you state exactly where that is, then I'm skeptical that you have properly installed it in the correct location. Oh, and unless you state what OS you are running, it makes even harder to help you.
              • 4. Re: Camera Raw 4.3.1 won't work with Nikon NEF
                Level 1
                Jim, Raymon and Jeff:

I'm leaving for a party and will more completely respond tomorrow. But here's a little bit of additional information (so Jeff won't be so upset with me). I'm running Vista Home Premium and have only one Camera Raw.8bi file loaded, and that is at \program files\common files\ adobe\plug-ins\CS3\file formats\. I'll run a search tomorrow morning to make sure no other camera raw files are loaded.

I want to thank each of you for taking the time to respond to my issue.

Bob
                • 5. Re: Camera Raw 4.3.1 won't work with Nikon NEF
                  Thomas Knoll Level 2
                  To narrow down the problem:

Can you bring up the Camera Raw preferences dialog via Bridge? If so, is the correct version number displayed in the title bar?

If the answer is yes to both these questions, then you have Camera Raw installed correctly. If no, then you need to fix your installation.

If Camera Raw is installed correctly, most likely you need to purge the Bridge cache.
                  • 6. Re: Camera Raw 4.3.1 won't work with Nikon NEF
                    Level 1
                    I now have a better handle on what is happening. Crazy as it sounds, the Camera Raw file literally disappears when it is accessed.

I tested this out this morning, three times, and it's very weird. I will put the file in the file folder listed in Adobe's instructions and then will attempt to load a NEF file. When I get the error message, I will immediately look in the file folder where I had put and it will be gone -- nothing in the folder. When I do a search of my C:\ drive, there is no Camera Raw file anywhere to be found. I've never encountered something like this.

Does anybody have a clue as to what is happening?

Bob
                    • 7. Re: Camera Raw 4.3.1 won't work with Nikon NEF
                      Level 1
                      Thomas, thanks for your reply. I think my installation is the problem.

When I bring up the camera raw preferences dialogue through Bridge, there is no version number displayed. Apparently the camera raw file is being deleted when it is accessed and I can't figure out the reason for that. I thought that perhaps Vista was moving the file somewhere else. But as I said in my last post, when I do a search on the entire drive there is no camera raw file to be found.

Crazy, huh?

Bob
                      • 8. Re: Camera Raw 4.3.1 won't work with Nikon NEF
                        Level 1
                        I'm still looking for some help.

Now that I've learned a little bit more, let me try to restate my problem. In using both a Nikon D200 and a new Nikon D300. For software I'm using PS CS3 Extended Edition, as a part of Adobe's CS3 Design Premium suite. My Dell Inspiron 530 is running Vista Home Premium.

As I've said before, my problem is that I cannot open NEF files shot with either the D200 or D300 (and they are uncompressed NEF files). I downloaded the new Camera Raw plug-in, ver. 4.3.1, and unzipped it to \program files\common files\adobe\plug-in\CS3\file format. The Camera Raw.8bi file is dated 11/30/07 and is about 10,446,000 in size. Then I run a search of my hard drive to make sure there are no other Camera Raw files anywhere. Then, in PS Bridge, I purge the cache of the file folder where the NEF files are located. Then I try to open a NEF file and get the following error message in a PS CS3 Extended box:

"Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document."

Then, immediately afterwards I ran another search of my hard drive, and the Camera Raw.8bi file is GONE, DISAPPEARED, VANISHED.

Is the problem with the CS3 Entended Edition?

Can anyone help me out here, particularly you Nikon shooters?

Thanks for any advice.

Bob
                        • 9. Re: Camera Raw 4.3.1 won't work with Nikon NEF
                          Level 1
                          >Then, immediately afterwards I ran another search of my hard drive, and the Camera Raw.8bi file is GONE, DISAPPEARED, VANISHED.

I suspect you have far more serious problems on your system as a plug-in doesn't normally VANISH...you should also make sure you update to the most recent Bridge CS3 update and consider trashing Bridge's preferences by holding control/Alt/Shift when launching and choose the Reset Preferences.