10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2007 10:21 PM by Ramón G Castañeda

Canon5d problem processing to jpegs, files corrupt or truncate

I'm baffled. I am using both CS2 & CS3. I have a mac dual 2.0 with OSX 10.4.11. The camera is a Canon 5d. Here's the deal. When I batch process or even single process, some of the files develop truncated. The thumbnails have between 10% to 90%of the image visible, it varies. There is no pattern, sometimes it does every file sometimes maybe 1 out of 10. Some files still open as Jpeg's others have the file corrupted message and then open exactly like the thumbnails, a portion of the image the rest grey. If I try developing the image again, it usually corrects on the first try, sometimes 2nd or 3rd, it always eventually develops complete. This does not happen in the canon raw conversion but I don't like it. I had all the current updates in both CS2 and CS, I just reinstalled CS3 without updates, still does it. I tried it using a 10d, no problem. I have 5.5 gigs of memory. Any ideas? Thanks Lance.
        • 1. Re: Canon5d problem processing to jpegs, files corrupt or truncate
          Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
          Sounds like a hardware issue, maybe bad, mismatched or improperly seated RAM (common in new machines), a hard drive going south, connections, cable, video RAM, etc.
          • 2. Re: Canon5d problem processing to jpegs, files corrupt or truncate
            Level 1
            Just a quick follow up, it does not do the problem in either Canon Raw or in Lightroom, if it was hardware wouldn't it do it there too? Also I have 4 hard drives, it does it on all of them.
            • 3. Re: Canon5d problem processing to jpegs, files corrupt or truncate
              Lance,

It's impossible to troubleshoot someone else's machine remotely, especially without knowing what you have tried so far to track this down, what kind of maintenance routine you perform, even what kind of machine you have. "I have a mac dual 2.0 " tells me nothing, it could be a Dual Processor G4, G5 or even a Mac-Intel box or a laptop.

Nor do I know how much installed RAM you have, how much available memory you are allowing Photoshop to use in preferences, how much available disk space you have on your drives (both in GB and in %), whether you have your primary Photoshop scratch disk on a separate dedicated internal hard drive.

What exact versions of the software are you running? Photoshop 10.0.1? Bridge 2.1.1.9?

You're also not specifying what thumbnails you're looking at. In the Finder? Or in Bridge? If the latter, what version? Have you purged the Bridge cache for the offending folder(s) through the Tools menu in Bridge, one by one? DO NOT use the global Purge Cache command in Bridge preferences because it's broken (at least on the Mac) and your caches will NOT rebuild properly after using that global command.

Have you tried making a fresh new account on your Mac and logging in as a different user? (Not an existing user.) If so, does the problem persist or go away? This is a standard troubleshooting step.

But from your description of what you see, it does sound like an intermittent hardware issue. If the artifacts don't print (i.e. if they're only visible on the monitor but not on a printed image), suspect a faulty video card.

If it is an intermittent hardware issue, it doesn't matter that you haven't seen the issue on other applications. Photoshop is the ultimate RAM test, it can be brought down by bad RAM that even the software memory testing used by the engineers miss.

Have you tried trashing and rebuilding preferences? If you have Disk Warrior, have you run it?

It doesn't matter how many drives you have if it turns out to be a faulty video card, improperly seated RAM, RAM turned bad, mismatched RAM, bad cables, bad connections, etc.

What kind of batch action are you running? How?

I'm shooting in the dark here with next to no details from you.
              • 4. Re: Canon5d problem processing to jpegs, files corrupt or truncate
                Re routine maintenance:

I still advocate Repairing Permissions (with Apple's Disk Utility) before AND after any system update or upgrade, as well as before AND after installing any software that requires an installer that asks for your password.

I have seen software installations go sour because the installer did not find everything as and where it should be.

I have also seen software installations go bad because the installer did not clean up after itself properly and did not leave everything as and where it should be.

This is just my own personal opinion and practice based on my own observations. Others may disagree and that's OK. I can only base my routines and my advice to others on my own experience and conclusion. I don't pretend to know why others believe otherwise.

Repairing Permissions after the fact (i. e. not immediately before and after an install) may NOT help. Try it anyway, though.

====

Additionally, if your machine does not run 24/7 so that it runs the daily, weekly and monthly Cron Scripts in the middle of the night as intended by Apple, run Cocktail (shareware) as well.

Cron Scripts are maintenance routines designed by Apple to run on a daily, weekly and monthly basis in the middle of the night.

If you don't run them, you WILL run into trouble, sooner rather than later.

Here's an excerpt from the Apple tech doc http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107388

Mac OS X performs background maintenance tasks at certain times if the computer is not in sleep mode. If your computer is shut down or in sleep at the designated times, the maintenance does not occur. In that case, you may want or need to run these manually.
                Mac OS X periodically runs background tasks that, in part, remove system files that are no longer needed. This includes purging older information from log files or deleting certain temporary items. These tasks do not run if the computer is shut down or in sleep mode. If the tasks do not run, it is possible that certain log files (such as system.log) may become very large.
                Also, from: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106978

The disk activity generated by find is a normal part of file system maintenance, used for tasks such as removing invisible temporary files that are used by the system. It is scheduled to occur early in the morning at 03:15 everyday, 04:30 on Saturdays, and 05:30 on the first day of each month.

NOTE: There have been comments to the effect that Apple "fixed" this in 10.4.2 and later versions of the OS, but I have not been able to verify this to my satisfaction. The reference in the 10.4.2 release notes are far from explicit on this subject.

= = =

If you have DiskWarrior, run it regularly too.
                • 5. Re: Canon5d problem processing to jpegs, files corrupt or truncate
                  Level 1
                  Mac G5 Power PC
                  Dual 2 ghz
                  5.5 gb DDR SDRAM 85% to photoshop
                  Main drive applications only 160 gb/ 84 avail
                  2n internal drive 320 gb
                  Partitioned for 20 gb scratch drive
                  250 gb avail on b partition
                  firewire 4oo Maxtor 500gb archive drive 58 gb avail
                  firewire 800 OWC stripe raid 600 gb 473 avail
                  Photoshop 10 says update current
                  Bridge 2.1.19
                  Finder thumbnails is the problem, sometimes the image opens fine, others file corrupt.
                  Bridge thumbs look fine.
                  Have not created new user.
                  Batch action processing Canon 5d raw images to tiffs or jpegs.
                  Machine runs 24/7 all Apple updates current
                  Do not have disc warrior.
                  • 6. Re: Canon5d problem processing to jpegs, files corrupt or truncate
                    michael shaffer Level 1
                    Lance ... you do not state how raw files are transferred from your camera to your computer. That is, some users (not necessarily Canon) have expressed some problems when files are transferred direct -- camera=>computer -- as opposed to using an intermediate memory card reader.
                    • 7. Re: Canon5d problem processing to jpegs, files corrupt or truncate
                      Level 1
                      I am using Compact flash card via usb reader.
                      • 8. Re: Canon5d problem processing to jpegs, files corrupt or truncate
                        Your 20GB Photoshop scratch drive partition is rather skimpy. Figure on as much as 35 to 50 times the size of your largest file or more.

I keep a dedicated, separate 160 GB internal drive as my primary Photoshop scratch disk drive.

However, I can't say that's the cause of the problems you are describing.

You still say nothing about Running Permissions before AND after every software update.

Have you tried the new account thing?
                        • 9. Re: Canon5d problem processing to jpegs, files corrupt or truncate
                          Level 1
                          I tried the new account thing, seemed to work. I do not know how to run permissions. I am rather narrow focused in image processing and graphic design, (think kid in Deliverance with banjo) and have much to learn. I appreciate all input. Thank you. I am ordering Disc Warrior. I have no problem increasing scratch disc to 160gb.
                          • 10. Re: Canon5d problem processing to jpegs, files corrupt or truncate
                            If the new account works, an Archive and Install of the OS over your existing OS installation will give you a fresh system and preserve your settings. Should take less than 45 minutes.

To Repair Permissions, just launch Apple's Disk Utility, which is installed in your Applications folder / Utilities. It's pretty straight forward.