11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2007 7:13 PM by Todd Jacobsen

CS3 raw update not working

CS3 installed with updates downloaded on windows xp machine still will not open my raw images from my canon 40d, but will open raw images from canon 20d. I even uninstalled and reinstalled the CS3 program. Another windows xp machine I installed cs3 and did the same updates and the images open in camera raw no problems. I have also checked to be sure the app is in the correct adobe file per their instructions. I also run an apple laptop and installed and updated Mac version CS3 and it runs fine. Any help would be appreciated
        • 1. Re: CS3 raw update not working
          Level 1
          > I have also checked to be sure the app is in the correct adobe file per their instructions.

So, exactly WHERE is the Camera Raw plug-in located? Did you use Adobe Updater or manually download, unzip and install any Camera Raw updates yourself? What version of Camera Raw is installed?

Note that the 40D enabled what Canon calls sRAW, a smaller format of raw than the normal CR2 and that version of Canon's raw file was only supported as of Camera Raw 4.2. The current version, is 4.3.1.

If you can't open 40D raws, the odds are real good that you either didn't properly install the plug-in or that your shooting sRAW and don't have the most recent version installed.
          • 2. Re: CS3 raw update not working
            michael shaffer Level 1
            Tom ... Most problems are due to putting the new ACR plugin in the wrong place. Therefore , we'll need to know exactly how you updated.

A coupla things to try before coming back;
            (1) Look for the ACR version installed via 'CS3=>Help=>plugins' (... if it reports v4.3 let us know ... if it reports 2 versions, let us know that too, and how you installed v4.3).
            (2) Try installing via 'CS3=>help=>updates'
            (3) See the installation instructions here:
            http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3822
            (3) Read the following thread (altho much of the beginning posts are about CS2, but I don't believe it makes a difference -- ie, replace instances of "CS2" with "CS3").
            http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bba4cda/282

HTH & holidays' cheerios :)
            • 3. Re: CS3 raw update not working
              Level 1
              I have done the auto update from within my photoshop program at the help drop down menu as well as manually several times. When I manually put it in I have followed the adobe directions of removing the raw plug in from the file formats folder and placing the downloaded Camera Raw.8bi file into that folder. I still can't open the raw images from my Canon 40d from photoshop. The bridge also only shows cs2 file icons as opposed to thumbnails of the images which it does do correctly on my other windows and mac machines.
              • 4. Re: CS3 raw update not working
                Level 1
                It shows camera raw plug-in 4.2. Could it be that I am not getting a good download when I update? When I check for updates via the help menu it says there are no new updates available for me. Should I try to do another update from the link above?
                • 5. Re: CS3 raw update not working
                  Level 1
                  Go to the Camera Raw product page and download the current version 4.3.1.
                  http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html
                  • 6. Re: CS3 raw update not working
                    Maybe I was the only one confused and figured out the below should be CS3/Help/About Plugins/Camera Raw. It shows 4.3. CS3/Help/Updates, doesn't update ACR to 4.3.1. Why?

Update: By the way, I successfully followed Adobe's download and installation instructions so 4.3.1 is correctly installed but I'm wondering why the Update didn't automatically install 4.3.1.

> Look for the ACR version installed via 'CS3=>Help=>plugins'.
                    • 7. Re: CS3 raw update not working
                      Thomas Knoll Level 2
                      The automatic updater for Camera Raw 4.3.1 is not online yet. The only way to get 4.3.1 currently is to download it manually.
                      • 8. Re: CS3 raw update not working
                        michael shaffer Level 1
                        > The automatic updater for Camera Raw 4.3.1 is not online yet ...

Thomas ... (with all due respect) because installing the update isn't as straight-forward as many users would like (eg, despite what is easy for most of us, see the many posts here), shouldn't the automatic updater be prioritized?

holidays' cheerios :)
                        • 9. Re: CS3 raw update not working
                          John Joslin Level 6
                          The automatic updater has not been working properly for a long time. (Not just related to Camera Raw.) I believe it is the responsibility of a separate part of Adobe.

Conventional wisdom says turn it off and download the updates from the appropriate part of the Adobe site. There are always clear instructions available.
                          • 10. Re: CS3 raw update not working
                            Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
                            The Adobe Updater has been broken in one way or another, off and on, for many years. I stopped relaying on it.
                            • 11. Re: CS3 raw update not working
                              Todd Jacobsen Level 1
                              The updater worked for me for CS3. Not so for Elements 6.0. ACR is located in 2 distinct folder locations for these two products. Why, I don't know...

Manual install works fine.