7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2007 12:29 PM by (Jeff_Schewe)

ACR 4.3 - Heal/Spot Removal One Image Only

I must be missing something obvious. If I want to remove sensor dust spots on one image only in ACR, what's the process? The RWCR Schewe book documents the process only for multiple images. I know I could just go into PS and do it, but since I am processing the image in ACR, I thought it might be more convenient just to stay in ACR. I can get the spots and the clones selected, but I cannot finish the deal for just one image.

MacBook Pro - OS 10.4.11, ACR 4.3, PS CS3 - updated for Nikon D300 NEFs.
        • 1. Re: ACR 4.3 - Heal/Spot Removal One Image Only
          Level 1
          >I can get the spots and the clones selected, but I cannot finish the deal for just one image.

What do you mean "finish the deal"?

Camera Raws healing is very capable for dealing with sensor spots and other relatively small round spots but the ability to do massive retouching is limited by the lack of blending options and combining with other retouching processes such as retouching on a layer.

The reason I spent a lot of time talking about healing on multiple images is that the workflow for doing the initial spot healing is basically the same as doing a single image.
          • 2. Re: ACR 4.3 - Heal/Spot Removal One Image Only
            Level 1
            Jeff: This is difficult to explain. I'll start this inquiry all over again. I can successfully clean up sensor spots on multiple Nikon NEF images, click on done and the sensor spots are gone. (I know this because when I reopen the NEFs in ACR, the spots are not there.) However, when I then save those NEFs as DNGs and then look at the DNGs in other software, then sensor spots are still there (as if I did nothing). That's one problem. Is there something in the save as a DNG process that I don't understand?

The other issue, and this was my original post, is I cannot figure out how to fix spots on just one image. There is no synchronize function available for just one image (since I am not synchronizing across multiple images). Now, I know that it does not make a lot of sense to fix images one by one rather than clone the spot out using PS3. I understand your goals of teaching an effective workflow in the book. I am just trying to learn how the functions work - step by step - one by one - in the RWCR book.
            • 3. Re: ACR 4.3 - Heal/Spot Removal One Image Only
              Level 1
              > However, when I then save those NEFs as DNGs and then look at the DNGs in other software, then sensor spots are still there (as if I did nothing). That's one problem. Is there something in the save as a DNG process that I don't understand?

Well, what do you mean by "other software"? When you click Done, you should see the updated previews in Bridge...right? So, if you want other software as in something like Portfolio or some other DNG compatible software to see them, then you actually need to not only hit Done, but also make sure you Update the DNG Previews...you can do that right from the Camera Raw flyout menu...

As for how to actually USE spot healing, did you check Chapter 4, Healing? There I explain how to place a spot, adjust the source and size, etc. Also in Chapter 5, I show how to edit spots and compare and contrast clone vs healing (I really never use clone).
              • 4. Re: ACR 4.3 - Heal/Spot Removal One Image Only
                Level 1
                Jeff: Thanks for your responses and efforts to assist. Yes, I know how to heal the sensor spots. Yes, I have read and reread Chapters 4 and 5. And yes, the DNG previews were updated too. When I reopen the NEFs in ACR 4.3.1 I no longer see the sensor spots.

I think I have just come to the conclusion that I really do not understand fully what a DNG file is. When I save the NEFs with the sensor spots "healed" as a DNG file and then open that file in Apple Aperture (where I presently have many projects organized - but Aperture does not support D300 NEFs), the sensor spots are still there - in fact none of the image edits are there either. I was expecting the DNG file to behave as if the ACR image edits would change the DNG image. I had lost sight of the fact that the DNG file is still a RAW image file. The edits must be a separate part of the DNG file and Aperture cannot interpret the edits. I probably have this all wrong.

You might ask why not use Bridge as my organizational software instead of Aperture. The answer is that I have had Aperture for a year and a half. I am now just learning Bridge (with the help of your book). So, I am not there YET. I will use Bridge. BUT, one step and a time. I need to learn how to process RAW files and make the images look better than Aperture can presently do. Their tools are not as powerful as ACRs. And Capture NX 1.31 which I got free with the D300 is a mess to use (NIkon users rave about NX, but I cannot see how it could be better to use than ACR). Thanks for all your help.
                • 5. Re: ACR 4.3 - Heal/Spot Removal One Image Only
                  Greg Barnett Level 2
                  >I had lost sight of the fact that the DNG file is still a RAW image file. The edits must be a separate part of the DNG file and Aperture cannot interpret the edits. I probably have this all wrong.<<br />
                  Yes DNG is just another container (albeit a fully documented and non proprietary one making it far more archival) for your raw data. So the edits you make in CR are stored as metadata instructions that only Lightroom or Camera Raw can understand. If as Jeff mentioned, you update the embedded JEPG previews, then other applications that read DNG can pull up the corrected previews. But you wont be able to take advantage of the CR edits outside of the Adobe environment unless you save a pixel based (rendered) copy of the image.

Hope that helps-
                  • 6. Re: ACR 4.3 - Heal/Spot Removal One Image Only
                    Level 1
                    Thanks for the explanation Greg. That fully answers the question for me. I can definitely see the advantage of using DNGs versus camera proprietary files. It seems strange that Adobe created D300 and D3 NEF support almost before these new cameras hit the market. Wonder why Apple waits so long to catch up (which they never do). That's a discussion for another day. Thanks again.
                    • 7. Re: ACR 4.3 - Heal/Spot Removal One Image Only
                      Level 1
                      >It seems strange that Adobe created D300 and D3 NEF support almost before these new cameras hit the market.

At long last, the camera makers are finally waking up to the benefits of working with Adobe, at least to a small degree. Nikon (D300 & D3) and Canon (1Ds M3) both helped make sure their new cameras were supported in Camera Raw 4.3. They've finally accepted that it's in their best interests to provide some samples of working files so that the work required can be completed in a reasonable time to offer camera support. Adobe's worked hard to establish a better working relationship with the camera makers. Apple is still a bit behind in that department.