3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2007 9:09 AM by Conrad C

opening scanned dng files

I am new to RAW and DNG processing. I am use both film and digital.
      I have CS2 and XPpro

Processing digital from my d200 is no problem using ACR plugin files open directly in Camera Raw.

However I scan my film on a Cannon FS4000US using Vuescan software which has the option to output to RAW in DNG format which I have recently tried. The DNG file is generated however when I open it, it opens directly in Camera Raw but as a negative, i can find no option in camer raw to invert it, i can therefore do very little processing in camera raw as i cannot see properly the result. I have to open it in CS2 and then invert it to see the positive.

Any help would be appreciated
      Thanks
        • 1. Re: opening scanned dng files
          michael shaffer Level 1
          > ... I scan my film on a Cannon FS4000US using Vuescan software which has the option to output to RAW in DNG format which I have recently tried. The DNG file is generated however when I open it, it opens directly in Camera Raw but as a negative, i can find no option in camer raw to invert it, i can therefore do very little processing in camera raw as i cannot see properly the result. ...

Is there some particular reason to scan into DNG? I was a regular user of Vuescan until I switched from my FM2 & FE2 to Olympus E, and I scanned from Supra to 16bit TIFs (ProphotoRGB) as positives, and short of the characteristics of scanning film, CS2 offered all the tools I would ever need.

holdays' cheerios :)
          • 2. Re: opening scanned dng files
            Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
            Jamest,

It sounds like you are setting Vuescan to scan the wrong type of film. You're either scanning positives as negatives or viceversa.

Also remember that a Vuescan RAW scan is not a true camera raw file.
            • 3. Re: opening scanned dng files
              Conrad C Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              There are a number of solutions in this thread. While that is a Lightroom thread, post #8 describes a VueScan settings change that they say inverts the image. Haven't tried it myself.