3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2009 8:10 AM by JimHess-8IPblY

Mikkel Aaland's book - Photoshop CS3 RAW

Robert Shomler Level 4
      Just read announcement of this book in PhotoshopNews.com:
      http://photoshopnews.com/2008/01/03/oreilly-media-publishes-aalands-photoshop-cs3-raw/

"Aalands up-to-the-minute edition focuses on the important features of Adobe Photoshop CS3, including Camera Raws new retouching tools, expanded controls and ramped up sharpening features."

This seems the same as the Fraser-Schewe book -- a most helpful work that I'm still studying and gathering insights from.

Has anyone read the new Aaland book? What does it offer that isn't covered in Fraser-Schewe?
        • 1. HELLLP?  (but...I do have Camera Raw w/ CS4 by Frasser and Schewe )
          tidaldesigns

Not much help, but I heard this CS4  was fabulous so I purchased it... I haven't been able to use apply anything yet because I can't even get the plug in to download (5.3 is the latest, for Vista CS4 right?) and relaods of CS4 Suite 5 times, and system restores, then recoveries, school, etc.

I really have a simpleee question for someone. - for me, it is torture.

Can someone help me out Please??? I know that everyone on the planet needs a job, however,  Speaking to India is hopeless, there is toooo much of a misunderstanding of waht I need for them to help me with, the associates don't understand taht I need help downloading and applying the link to my current Suite. I can not explain it to them any other way and there are no English speaking supervisors and noone will help me from any other area...

I have the zip / file, but don't know how to extract it into CS4.

Then I can read and apply my new book skills and I can pay it forward to someone else who needs a friendly help.

Thanks so much...

tidal.designs@yahoo.com

Kimmy

• 2. Re: HELLLP?  (but...I do have Camera Raw w/ CS4 by Frasser and Schewe )
            Ramón G Castañeda Level 4

Not quite sure if you're just wanting to install ACR 5.3 for use in CS4.  If that's the case. it's pretty straight forward, just follow the instructions on the ACR download page to the letter.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4365

The easiest way is to update throught the Help menu:

1. Select "Updates..." from the Help menu. 
            2. Follow the onscreen instructions to download and install the latest available Camera Raw update.

It can be done manually too.

Essentially, you're going to unzip the download (by double-clicking on its icon), and replace the old, obsolete ACR plug-in that gets installed by default with the CS4 installation with the new Camera Raw plug-in in exactly the same directory where the old one is now.

Manual installation on Windows: 

1. Exit Photoshop CS4 and Adobe Bridge. 
            2. Open the download file, double-click CameraProfiles.

exe, and follow the on-screen instructions.
            3. Open My Computer. 
            4. Double-click Local Disk (C:). 
            5. Navigate to: (Please read directory carefully)

Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS4\File Formats

6. Move the existing Camera Raw.8bi plug-in to another location (for example, a new folder on your desktop). Ensure you keep this version in case you need to revert back.
            7. Copy the Camera Raw plug-in, Camera Raw.8bi, from the download into the same folder as Step 5.
            8. Launch Photoshop CS4 or Adobe Bridge.

• 3. Re: HELLLP?  (but...I do have Camera Raw w/ CS4 by Frasser and Schewe )
              JimHess-8IPblY Level 3

If you are going to do a manual install you do not use the Extract feature.  You simply double-click on the zip file.  That will open it so that you can see the contents.  Then you simply just drag the Camera Raw.8bi to the folder, as Ramon instructed.