1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 7, 2008 10:17 PM by (Jeff_Schewe)

Questions about Clipping Warnings

Level 1
      I'm not certain if i'll be able phrase my question correctly or clearly, i'll try my best. Pardon me if it comes across wrong or ignorant.

I open a raw file in Camera Raw. I adjust the basic sliders such that the Highlight Clipping Warning arrow is Black. I assume that because it's black, there is no clipping in the highlights, and by that my understanding is that there is still printable details. I then process the file and open in Photoshop. When i place a cursor over the highlight area, the info reads 254 254 254. Am i right to say that at these numbers, there really isn't any printable details? At what numbers will there be printable details in the highlights?.....and for shadows?

I suspect that my understanding and assumptions made above may be flawed. Please advise.

Thank you!
        • 1. Re: Questions about Clipping Warnings
          Level 1
          > I assume that because it's black, there is no clipping in the highlights, and by that my understanding is that there is still printable details.

Yes to the no clipping, no to the "printable details" because that's entirely dependent on the output. And because it's dependent on the output, you'll need to either soft proof or otherwise test and see where the point is that neither extreme highlight or deep shadow produces image data that is not "printable".