18 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2008 4:53 AM by PECourtejoie

Nikon D3 and CS2

Level 1
      I am interested in upgrading from my Nikon D2x to the new Nikon D3. At the moment I work with CS2 and have a few budget restraints. I would like to know if I can open the Nikon D3 Camera Raw/NEF files with my present version of Photoshop CS2?
      Thank you for your help.

R. Silveston
        • 1. Re: Nikon D3 and CS2
          michael shaffer Level 1
          > I would like to know if I can open the Nikon D3 Camera Raw/NEF files with my present version of Photoshop CS2?

You can, but you'd need convert the NEFs to DNG. The appropriate DNG converter can be dowloaded from here:
          http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html

On the other hand, the upgrade price for CS3 (and ACR4) would seem small next to a D3(?) ... but that's your call :)

HTH & cheerios
          • 2. Re: Nikon D3 and CS2
            The message to Michael Shaffer based on my experience seems incorrect. I am unable to find a DNG converter that is separate of CS3 and Camera RAW 4.3.1 update that is available for download.

I have a D3 and use Photoshop CS2. I called Adobe Tech support and got the same advice. I followed his directions and looked everywhere with no success in Adobe downloads for a DNG converter that would work on CS2 and convert my Nikon D3 RAW files to Photoshop RAW.

I called Nikon Tech and they said Adobe no longer supports Photoshop CS2 users who work with RAW files from new cameras. He didn't think there was any DNG converter compatible with CS2 that would convert Nikon D3 Raw to Photoshop Raw.

If someone would tell me exactly where to find the DNG converter, I'd go there in a heartbeat, because at present I am unable to view and/or edit with Photoshop CS2 any of the RAW files I get from my Nikon D3.
            • 3. Re: Nikon D3 and CS2
              Level 1
              Baker, you download the DNG converter that is part of the ACR 4.3.1 update and then you ignore the ACR update and just use the DNG converter. It works perfectly and that is how it is supposed to work. Just fire up the DNG converter and point it at a folder of RAW files and it converts them very quickly. They then open up in your CS2 ACR.
              • 4. Re: Nikon D3 and CS2
                JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                The DNG converter does not work "with" any version of Photoshop. It is a separate, freestanding, stand-alone program. The latest version of the DNG converter will convert raw files from the most cameras. The DNG files created by that converter can be opened by any version of Camera Raw clear back to version 2.4. That means that if you have any of the CS versions of Photoshop, and have the proper version of ACR installed, you can use the latest DNG converter to create the DNG copies that can be used with your version of Photoshop.

Sorry, I've started this message before I had to leave for lunch. I hope it doesn't overlap the previous message too much.
                • 5. Re: Nikon D3 and CS2
                  TonikJDK, thanks for your quick reply. I already have ACR 4.3.1 on my desk top. I have clicked on it to open it. When that happens, I get a request, "which program do I want to open it with". So I'm guessing, since it won't open on its own, well then I probably need to open Photoshop CS2. So I click on open it with CS2 and after a brief wait I get this message from Photoshop CS2: "Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document."

I've thought about this for a while and can only speculate why it's not the kind of "right" document and/or why camera raw doesn't open on its own. I'm using a W2K Pro operation system on a PC. I downloaded the PC version of ACR 4.3.1. Maybe ACR 4.3.1 can only open with XP operating system. Other than that, I haven't a clue why I can't gain access to the DCR converter to convert my Nikon D3 RAW images to Photoshop RAW.

Do you?

Also, lets say I am successful with some future help you or someone can offer, just where/how does one "fire up" DNG converter in order to a convert folder of RAW images?? I have access to other computers, one which uses Photoshop CS3 with ACR 4.3.1 installed. The only way I know to access the DNG converter on that machine is through the menu command "save as" "Photoshop RAW". I don't find a menu command that would allow me to convert an entire folder Is that the only way?? I talked with an Adobe Tech person the other day and he said I would probably have to create an "action". However, if you know of a way to use the DNG converter without creating an "action", I would sure appreciate knowing.

Thanks again,

Baker Rawlings
                  • 6. Re: Nikon D3 and CS2
                    Jim, You're not overlapping as far as I know. This is the first time I've heard that the DNG converter is a stand along. Instructions from another forum rep instructed me to download the DNG converter which comes with/in Camera RAW 4.3.1. And the latter is designed for CS3, it's not opening in or outside of Photoshop CS2. I'm guessing I need the latest version of DNG in order to convert Nikon D3 RAW images to something Photoshop can open, view and and edit. But I'll take any version that will do the job. Just tell me how/where. I've had two Adobe Tech support rep's tell me how/where and neither one of those efforts led to success.

bake
                    r
                    • 7. Re: Nikon D3 and CS2
                      JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                      Since you are using Photoshop CS2, you must download and correctly install Adobe Camera Raw 3.7. That is the last version that was released that will work with Photoshop CS2. Camera Raw is a Photoshop plug-in. You cannot open Camera Raw by itself. It has to be accessed from within Photoshop or Bridge. And it must be installed exactly in the folder specified in the readme file that is available on the download page.

Since 3.7 is the last version of Camera Raw (ACR) that you can use, it would not be possible for you to open raw files from new cameras that were added in later versions. To resolve this problem, Adobe has created the DNG (Digital negative) format. The easiest way to describe this file format is that it is a "standardized" container to hold the raw data. The image data is precisely the same image data. It's just that the container has been standardized so that you can open that file in older versions of Photoshop.

The DNG converter (again, free-standing) comes packaged with a corresponding release of ACR. This is done because ACR and the DNG converter support the same list of cameras. So while you cannot use any newer version of ACR than 3.7, you always want to have the very latest version of the DNG converter. So as of today you would download version 4.3.1 and extract the DNG converter and put it anywhere on your computer (yes anywhere). Then just forget about the new version of ACR. You cannot use it. It will only create grief if you try to do so. Just delete the zip file and forget about the rest.

To use the DNG converter, locate your raw files. I usually open the card and highlight all of the raw files there. Then I drag them and drop them onto the icon for the DNG converter. This will start the converter. Just specify the destination folder for the DNG files, and then click on the Convert button. The DNG files will be created and placed in the folder that you specify. Should you keep your original raw images? That is a decision that you will have to make. I rarely keep my original raw images. But that is my choice.

When the conversion process is complete, just open Photoshop/Bridge and work as you normally do. The DNG files will display in Bridge. You can double click on them and they will open in ACR. The data is still the raw data and you have all the flexibility that you would have if you were editing the original raw files.

Just to clarify and make things simpler for you, here are the instructions for installing ACR 3.7 on a Windows computer. Pay particular attention to item #4. That is the folder where you put ACR 3.7.

Windows®:

1. Exit Photoshop CS2 and Adobe Bridge.

2. Open My Computer.

3. Double-click Local Disk (C:).

4. Navigate to Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS2\File Formats.

5. Move the existing Camera Raw.8bi plug-in to another location (for example, a new folder on your desktop). Ensure you keep this version in case you need to revert back.

6. Copy the Camera Raw plug-in, Camera Raw.8bi, from the download into the same folder as Step 4.

7. Launch Photoshop CS2 or Adobe Bridge.
                      • 8. Re: Nikon D3 and CS2
                        JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                        One other point of clarification. I seem to recall reading a comment from Thomas Knoll that the DNG files from your camera need to be linear. That is an option that is set on the preference page. There is a button to access that on the DNG converter user-interface.
                        • 9. Re: Nikon D3 and CS2
                          Jim,

I tried to follow your instruction exactly, but at some point the instructions don't fit with what I end up seeing;

This is what I found when clicking on :File Formats"

BMP
                          FlmStrip
                          PCX
                          PhotoCD
                          Pixar
                          Targa

When I click on any of the above files, Photoshop opens and gives me the following message: "could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document."

I checked Photoshop with an image just to make sure it's operating okay. And it is.

In order to follow your instructions to open File Formats I took the following route: C:\Progrm Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS2\Plug-Ins\File Formats.

Also, the Camera RAW 3.7 download is called DNG_Camera_Raw_3. The content of download are two files, One file has a depth of field logo followed by filed name Adobe DNG Converter (6,032KB Application)
                          The file listed in that download has a Photoshop logo with the file named Camera Raw (6,720KB). The only times I see the file named Camera Raw.8bi, per your instructions, is during the unzipping process. So I'm not sure what you include when your instructions ask for replacing Camera Raw.8bi which you say "move existing Camera Raw.8bi" because I don't see that file in the File Format folder and I don't see it in the download.

bake
                          r
                          • 10. Re: Nikon D3 and CS2
                            This is what I found when clicking on :File Formats"

BMP
                            FlmStrip
                            PCX
                            PhotoCD
                            Pixar
                            Targa

When I click on any of the above files, Photoshop opens and gives me the following message: "could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document."

In order to follow your instructions to open File Formats I took the following route: C:\Progrm Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS2\Plug-Ins\File Formats.

Also, the Camera RAW 3.7 download is called DNG_Camera_Raw_3. The content of download is a file with a depth of field logo followed by filed name Adobe DNG Converter (6,032KB Application)
                            The file listed in that download has a Photoshop logo with the file named Camera Raw. The only times I see Camera Raw.8bi, per your instructions, is during the unzipping process. So I'm not sure what you include when you say "move existing Camera Raw.8bi" because I don't see that file in the File Format folder and I don't see it in the download.

bake
                            r
                            • 11. Re: Nikon D3 and CS2
                              Level 1
                              Here is the link for the download:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3820

It is a zip file, double click it and windows should unzip it for you into a folder. Inside you will find two files: 'Camera Raw.8bi' and 'Adobe DNG Converter.exe'. Ignore Camera Raw.8bi and just double click the Adobe DNG Converter.exe and the Converter program will start up.

The rest will be pretty self explanatory. You just select the source folder for your RAW files, and where to save it...you can rename if you want.....when you are done you will have a folder full of DNG files that you can open in your CS2. Assuming that your CS2 is up to date with the current updates.
                              • 12. Re: Nikon D3 and CS2
                                JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                                Baker,

I am going to ask this question again:

What operating system are you working with (PCor Mac)?

If you work on a PC then you should have downloaded a zip file. Double-click on that zip file and it will open. In the window that opens you should see two files. One of them will be the DNG converter.exe and the other will be Camera Raw.8bi. You have to copy those two files to the places I have told you to copy them in previous messages. You copy the camera raw file from the 3.7 version, and you copy the DNG converter from the 4.3.1 version.

If you are working on a Mac, please indicate because everything is different, completely different. And I don't have any knowledge that would help you.
                                • 13. Re: Nikon D3 and CS2
                                  John_Cornicello_Photo Level 2
                                  This is getting very convoluted. Let's try starting over.

First, if you double-click on the ACR 4.3.1 file and try to open it in Photoshop you will get the error you listed because it is not an image file. It has to be installed, not opened.

However, as you have Photoshop CS2, ACR 4.x will not work with it. You can simply trash the file called Camera Raw(.8bi) that came with the 4.x DNG converter. Do NOT throw away your version 3.x Camera Raw file, though.

The file you are interested in from this Zip file is called Adobe DNG Converter(.exe). This file can sit on your desktop or in a folder. To use it, either double-click on it, or you can take a CR2 file and drag it onto the DNG Converter icon.

OK, that should take care of getting and using the latest DNG Converter.

For Camera Raw, it sounds like you downloaded the correct 3.x version file. As you noted, inside your UnZip program you see the full name (Camera Raw.8bi). On your system, though, you only see Camera Raw because Windows hides the filename extension (you can turn that off and always show the extensions). You want to take that Camera Raw file and put it into the folder listed in the instructions. Do NOT double-click on it. Just put it into the proper folder and restart Photoshop.

Then, to use it, in Photoshop go to File > Open and select one of the files you converted to DNG format with the converter.

Hope that helps!

John
                                  • 14. Re: Nikon D3 and CS2
                                    JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                                    Thanks, John. I thought that was what I had written. But I guess my instructions were only clear to me. Appreciate the help.
                                    • 15. Re: Nikon D3 and CS2
                                      JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                                      By the way, I was thinking about a different camera when I suggested that the DNG files had to be linear.
                                      • 16. Re: Nikon D3 and CS2
                                        John_Cornicello_Photo Level 2
                                        Hi Jim. You may have written that. I was just finding myself totally lost, so wanted to put what I could into one message.
                                        • 17. Re: Nikon D3 and CS2
                                          JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                                          Baker,

I will try this one more time. Really, this isn't rocket science. It's just that you have gotten things out of sync somehow. We have got to get things straightened out and then I think you will be fine.

First of all, since you are using Photoshop CS2 you need to have Camera Raw 3.7 installed correctly. Go to the following website and download the file:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3587

After you have downloaded the file, double-click on it. A window will open and you will see a file called "Camera Raw." You don't see the extension because you haven't chosen to show extensions. Don't worry about that. Just copy that Camera Raw file to the folder like I instructed you to do last time. That is the Camera Raw plug-in. Please take note that this is the only folder where that plug-in can be installed. Now, Photoshop should be ready to work with ACR. You can now close that zip file.

Now we have to get you prepared to use the DNG converter. Go to the following link and download the file:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3824

After you have downloaded the file, double-click on it. A window will open, like before, only this time you will see two files, Camera Raw and DNG converter. You don't need to worry about Camera Raw in this zip file. It will not work with your Photoshop. Just forget about it. But drag the DNG converter to your desktop. That is all you need from this file. Close the zip file.

Now you should be ready to go to work using the instructions that you have been given previously. Unless your system crashes and you have to reinstall Photoshop, you should never have to download Camera Raw again. You have the last update that was done for Photoshop CS2. However, you will probably want to sort of keep track of available updates and follow the second step again when there is another update. You will want to replace the DNG converter on your desktop with the one that will be in the zip file. Those updates usually happen about four times each year. So I'm thinking that there will probably be another update within the next few weeks. It probably won't be critical to update unless you have an even newer camera. But even though it isn't critical, it's usually a good idea to have the latest version.
                                          • 18. Re: Nikon D3 and CS2
                                            PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional
                                            >This is what I found when clicking on :File Formats"
                                            >....
                                            >In order to follow your instructions to open File Formats I took the following route: C:\Progrm Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS2\Plug-Ins\File Formats.

You are looking at the
                                            b wrong
                                            folder. Re-read the path that was given to you: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS2\File Formats.
                                            If the folder does not exist, you might want to uninstall/reinstall Photoshop, as the path should have been created at install time.

>Also, the Camera RAW 3.7 download is called DNG_Camera_Raw_3. The content of download are two files, One file has a depth of field logo followed by filed name Adobe DNG Converter (6,032KB Application)
                                            The file listed in that download has a Photoshop logo with the file named Camera Raw (6,720KB). The only times I see the file named Camera Raw.8bi, per your instructions, is during the unzipping process. So I'm not sure what you include when your instructions ask for replacing Camera Raw.8bi which you say "move existing Camera Raw.8bi" because I don't see that file in the File Format folder and I don't see it in the download.

You are looking at the wrong folder that's why you do not see the old version. You need to copy the 8bi file that you have unzipped to the common files... folder.

THEN you download the latest version of Camera Raw with DNG converter and use that version of the converter (that you get in the zip file) to convert the files to DNG