8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2008 6:43 PM by (Tae-Sun_Park)

DNG files of SAMSUNG GX10 ?

Hi,

I am a SAMSUNG GX10 user.

I found that ACR (and Lightroom) does not read the MakerNote (or DNGPrivateData) meta data of the DNG files of SAMSUNG GX10.

Recalling that SAMSUNG GX10 shares the same MakerNote with Pentax, I think that it should be pretty trivial for Adobe to support GX10's DNG images. So it is rather odd to me why Adobe omits its support for GX10's DNG images while supporting K10D's DNGs.
      A funny thing is that ACR supports the DNG files of the old SAMSUNG models, like Pro 815, GX1L and GX1S, but not the much popular GX10's DNG files.

Is there any posibility that Adobe adds its support for the GX10's DNG images in a near future ?

Thank you very much in advance,
      Tae-Sun

ps) I did a small experiment.
      I picked up one DNG image of GX10. Then I changed the meta data of Make, Model, Software and UniqueCameraModel to make it look like a K10D's DNG file. That is, I changed "SAMSUNG"->"PENTAX", "GX10"->"K10D", and so on. Then the resulting image of ACR (and Lightroom) changes a lot, especially under the "Auto" white-balence mode.
        • 1. Re: DNG files of SAMSUNG GX10 ?
          Level 1
          On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 07:52:36 -0800, Tae-Sun_Park@adobeforums.com wrote
          in <3c05e434.-1@webcrossing.la2eafNXanI>:

>I am a SAMSUNG GX10 user.

>I found that ACR (and Lightroom) does not read the MakerNote (or
          >DNGPrivateData) meta data of the DNG files of SAMSUNG GX10.

>Recalling that SAMSUNG GX10 shares the same MakerNote with Pentax, I
          >think that it should be pretty trivial for Adobe to support GX10's DNG
          >images. So it is rather odd to me why Adobe omits its support for
          >GX10's DNG images while supporting K10D's DNGs. A funny thing is that
          >ACR supports the DNG files of the old SAMSUNG models, like Pro 815,
          >GX1L and GX1S, but not the much popular GX10's DNG files.

>Is there any posibility that Adobe adds its support for the GX10's DNG
          >images in a near future ?

Feature Request at
          http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

--
          Best regards,
          John Navas http:/navasgroup.com
          • 2. Re: DNG files of SAMSUNG GX10 ?
            Thomas Knoll Level 2
            Can you please email me (click on my name to see my email address) a sample raw file (both .PEF and .DNG) from a SAMSUNG GX10 camera.

www.yousendit.com is useful for emailing large files.
            • 3. Re: DNG files of SAMSUNG GX10 ?
              Level 1
              John, it seems that I made a mistake. Thank you for your advice.

Thomas, I sent the sample files to you. Thanks.
              • 4. Re: DNG files of SAMSUNG GX10 ?
                Thomas Knoll Level 2
                Tae-Sun: I received two .DNG files. Can you send a sample .PEF file also? Thanks.
                • 5. Re: DNG files of SAMSUNG GX10 ?
                  Level 1
                  Thomas, I have no PEF file.

What I mentioned is that I have made a K10D-DNG looking DNG file from a GX10's DNG file. The 2nd DNG file (k106755.DNG) is the resulting transformed file.

In fact, I am not familiar with the PEF file format; it is a compressed raw format, which is largely different from the DNG format, isn't it ?
                  • 6. Re: DNG files of SAMSUNG GX10 ?
                    Thomas Knoll Level 2
                    If you own a GX10, you should be able to set it to save either DNGs or PEFs, unless Samsung decided to disable that option in their firmware.
                    • 7. Re: DNG files of SAMSUNG GX10 ?
                      Level 1
                      Thomas, No, GX10 does not have the option for PEF (or something similar).

Yes, K10D can choose either DNG or PEF. But GX10 has only one
                      raw mode, DNG.
                      • 8. Re: DNG files of SAMSUNG GX10 ?
                        Level 1
                        For a quick glance of the effect of change of meta data,
                        you may look at
                        Sample 1

Upper panel: G10D (top) and K10D-ed (bottom), AsShot mode.
                        No change (or very slight change) in images, but the color temperature/tint value is (6750K,79) -> (5100K, -5).

Lower panel: G10D (top) and K10D-ed (bottom), Auto mode.
                        Dramatic change in image.
                        Temperature/tint value: (7400K, 30) -> (5500K, 12).

For a similar but more detailed comparison, see
                        sample 2

The object placed in the bottom of the pictures is a A4 zerox paper,
                        so its color should be something white. As you see, the K10D-ed Auto mode showes best white balence.

Another thing to be noted is that, in the K10D-ed image, Lightroom can read the name of the mounted lens, but not theoriginal G10D's DNG.