22 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2008 11:12 PM by Ramón G Castañeda

Opening Raw file in Photoshop CS3

I downloaded Photoshop CS3 and when I open a raw image a screen called "Photoshop Raw Options" appears. It asks the dimensions, channels, and header sizes. I don't know what to fill in those boxes. I work on a Mac. Help
      -Abby
        • 1. Re: Opening Raw file in Photoshop CS3
          John_Cornicello_Photo Level 2
          Are you trying to open a camera raw image or a Photoshop raw image?

How are you opening the file? Are you using Bridge to select the image?

John
          • 2. Re: Opening Raw file in Photoshop CS3
            Level 1
            I am opening a raw image from my camera. I just open the file from the folder it is in when I am in Photoshop and select the image I want to open, then this screen pops up and I dont know what to fill in. When I open it in CS2 the Camera Raw adjustment window appears but I usually just click on my image and then open it.
            • 3. Re: Opening Raw file in Photoshop CS3
              JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
              What camera are you using?
              • 4. Re: Opening Raw file in Photoshop CS3
                I thought I replied yesterday. Must have forgot to hit the send button.

That box should NOT be popping up.

Are you just going to File > Open and selecting a file that you copied over from your camera and getting this?

I can only duplicate what you are describing by going to File > Open As and selecting Photoshop Raw (*.RAW) from the Open As list at the bottom of the dialog box.

The file is not a Photoshop Raw file, it is a Camera Raw file. So you would have to select Camera Raw in the Open As dialog box. If I do that, then I get the Camera Raw interface as expected (not the box askign for dimensions and channels).

John
                • 5. Re: Opening Raw file in Photoshop CS3
                  Level 1
                  John,

Ok, I opened the file by changing it to open as a camera raw file like you told me, but It now is saying "could not complete your request because the file format module cannot parse the file" I can open other raw files shot with my Nikon D200, This is only happening when I try to open the raw images I shot with my new D300 camera. Help

-Abby
                  • 6. Re: Opening Raw file in Photoshop CS3
                    What version of Camera Raw do you have installed? Support for the D300 was added in ver 4.3.1 if I'm remembering correctly.

Go to the Help menu in Photoshop and click on Updates to see if it downloads and installs a newer version of Camera Raw.

Thanks!

John
                    • 7. Re: Opening Raw file in Photoshop CS3
                      Photoshop CS3 crashes whenever I access a folder with Nikon Camera Raw images in it. I have Camera Raw 4.3.1 installed and am using Vista. Internet Explorer under Vista also crashes when I try to preview Camera Raw Images or occassionally when I launch Photoshop by clicking on a Raw image. This never happened under CS2 and the prior 3.6 Camera Raw. ANy ideas?
                      • 8. Re: Opening Raw file in Photoshop CS3
                        i am having the exact same issue as abby. any more suggestions out there?
                        • 9. Re: Opening Raw file in Photoshop CS3
                          Panoholic Level 2
                          > Photoshop CS3 crashes whenever I access a folder with Nikon Camera Raw images in it. I have Camera Raw 4.3.1 installed and am using Vista. Internet Explorer under Vista also crashes when I try to preview Camera Raw Images

If your Vista runs with 64bits, then see this: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1039&message=26760579

Apparently Nikon did not manage to create functioning codecs for 64-bit Vista.
                          • 10. Re: Opening Raw file in Photoshop CS3
                            I recently started using a Nikon D3 camera, so I upgraded my PS to CS3 and downloaded camera raw update 4.3.1 and installed. I still cannot open My Nikon D3 images in CS3. I can open D200 pics --no problem there. I get message "Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document. These are NEF files. What is the problem?
                            DHF
                            • 11. Re: Opening Raw file in Photoshop CS3
                              JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                              What operating system are you using? Where did you install ACR 4.3.1? If you can provide a little more information may be one of the experts will be able to help you.
                              • 12. Re: Opening Raw file in Photoshop CS3
                                Level 1
                                I am using Windows XP. I am not sure where ACR 4.3.1 installed. I unzipped and double clicked file and PS CS3 opened. It never said where it was putting file. Where is file supposed to be. I am a newbie, so don't laugh!! Do I need to also update Bridge?
                                Thanks so much for help
                                • 13. Re: Opening Raw file in Photoshop CS3
                                  JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                                  You need to put the Camera Raw.8bi file that is inside the zip file in the following folder:
                                  C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats

There will be another copy of that file in the folder, but it is an older version. You need to replace the old one with the new one that you've just downloaded. If you put the plug-in anywhere else it will not work. If you feel that you need to keep the old version for some reason, put it somewhere in your My Documents folder. As far as I know, there is no reason to keep the older version. If you try to put the older version in another folder inside of the Adobe folder structure, that will also prevent Camera Raw from working properly.
                                  • 14. Re: Opening Raw file in Photoshop CS3
                                    Level 1
                                    Jim--Thanks so much. My Nef's from Nikon D3 open finally. I would never have figured out where to put that file without your help.
                                    Also, I purchased the CS3 upgrade. I installed it while still having CS on system. Does that cause any conflicts once I uninstall CS that you know of? My husband said I should have uninstalled CS before installing CS3. When I uninstalled CS it did ask me about shared files? Thanks again for your help. This is the first time I have used a forum. I'll be back!!!
                                    Donna
                                    • 15. Re: Opening Raw file in Photoshop CS3
                                      JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                                      When I removed CS2 the procedure also removed Adobe Gamma. This is a little utility that enables you to do a very basic monitor calibration. I had been using it, so this caused a little concern at first. But then I used a program that came with my video card so I haven't had a need for Adobe Gamma. Other than that, I had no problems.

Be aware that Camera Raw is updated about four times each year. You need to watch the forum because it is a good place to find out about the updates. Alternatively, in Photoshop if you go to the help menu there is an option to check for updates. It might be a good idea to run that about every three months. If there is an update available it will be installed for you.
                                      • 16. Re: Opening Raw file in Photoshop CS3
                                        RAW Nikon D2x files worked on my mac G5 and CS3. I recently upgraded to the Nikon D3 and downloaded the 4.3.1 ACR update. RAW files won't open now.

I've purged all caches and restarted about ten times - still nothing.

It works on my laptop (intel macbook pro w/ CS3) but not the desktop (10.4.11)

HELP!

Jody
                                        • 17. Re: Opening Raw file in Photoshop CS3
                                          Level 1
                                          Jim--Thanks for the info. I have a program called Spyder Pro, which I just got, for calibrating monitor and printer. If when I removed CS it removed the Adobe Gamma utility, will I still be able to calibrate my monitor? I have not used Spyder pro yet but I need to calibrate soon. Thanks!
                                          • 18. Re: Opening Raw file in Photoshop CS3
                                            JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                                            As far as I know, there is nothing that would prevent you from using Spyder. It is an independent product. I think the problem is that the un-installer that Adobe provides is just programmed to remove everything associated with CS2. And since it doesn't even know CS3 exists it is going to remove everything. It's one of those little details that seems to have been overlooked.

Looking back, probably the best way to install an upgrade to Photoshop would be to remove the old version first. But then I understand how some people are wary of putting all their trust in a new version, especially if they are still a little unsure of themselves with the old version.
                                            • 19. Re: Opening Raw file in Photoshop CS3
                                              Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
                                              To add to what Jim says, in the Windows environment you need to remove Adobe Gamma in order to use the ColorVision Spyder software.

(Adobe Gamma has not existed in the Mac world for eons.)
                                              • 20. Re: Opening Raw file in Photoshop CS3
                                                Hi. From Photoshop CS3 Bridge, I opened 79 camera raw images from a single photo shoot(I forgot my camera was set to RAW)
                                                Is there a quick way to select all and rename to jpeg, and save to a CD for the client?
                                                Jennifer
                                                • 21. Re: Opening Raw file in Photoshop CS3
                                                  JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                                                  There are two quick methods you could use.

1. Highlight all the images and then start the image processor. It is in the Tools/Photoshop menu. Just specify JPEG images and the folder where you want them to be saved.

2. Open all the images at once in Camera Raw. Click on the "Select All" button in the upper left-hand corner of the Camera Raw window. Then click on the Save button to in the lower left-hand corner. Set your options and then save the images.

Both methods will work very well.
                                                  • 22. Re: Opening Raw file in Photoshop CS3
                                                    Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
                                                    Jennifer,
                                                    >Is there a quick way to select all and rename to jpeg

NEVER attempt to do that. Just re-naming a file does NOT change its file type. The file has to be opened in ACR and a copy saved as a JPEG.

Changing the file extension by itself would result in your noy being able to open the files. You would confuse the applications and gain nothing.

Do as Jim says in the post above mine.