18 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2008 12:00 PM by (Josh_Lang)

Missing Thumbnails

I am having a problem with missing thumbnails in CS3 Bridge 2.1.1.9. Thumbnails are not showing up in many folders. I have set the thumbnail preferences in many different ways but nothing helps. Some folders are fine, others have no thumbnails and still others show only a few thumbnails. I am using Vista on a new Dell XPS 410 with 4GB of Ram and a NVIDIA 8300 graphics card. This is not a problem with my other computer running XP. Does anyone know how to resolve this problem?
        • 1. Re: Missing Thumbnails
          Omke Oudeman Level 5
          Purge the cache for each folder that has this behavior using tools - cache- purge cache for folder. Let it rebuild and you should be OK

There have been some issues with the central cache clearance in the preferences but that is for you to decide. You can also delete all the cache manually at once thrashing the cache.

On a Mac this file is in the user library - caches-Adobe-Bridge CS3 - cache. If you delete that you will have to cache all your folders again, which is a real PITA but often resolves many problems.

I have no clue where to find this file on a PC :-(
          • 2. Re: Missing Thumbnails
            I'm having a problem with missing thumbnails and previews of RAW images downloaded from CF cards in CS3 Bridge on Vista. This has only just started happening, all previous files downloaded in the same way are fine, and display correctly, even on external hard drives. It's only happening on files I've downloaded from yesterday. I'm using a Nikon D300 and a Dell DimensionTM XPS 420 (D01X409)
            Intel® Core 2 Quad-Core Processor Q6600. Does anyone have any advice?
            • 3. Re: Missing Thumbnails
              Level 1
              I have purged the cache and even uninstalled and reinstalled Photoshop. I was on the phone with Adobe Tech support for 2 hours, setting up new accounts, moving folders, checking files etc. but to no avail. The problem is also seen just opening a folder in Explorer where thumbnails do not show up for Tiff files. I noticed that the posting from Neil Paterson mentioned he was using the Q6600 processer as am I on my Dell XPS410. I have noticed that often when the thumbnails dissapear, shortly afterward Bridge locks up and must be restarted. In many cases I have to terminate Bridge from the Task Manager as it freezes showing it is using 25% of the processor capacity (oddly 1 of the 4 processors?). I'm beginning to wonder if this is a compatiblity issue with the Q6600.
              • 4. Re: Missing Thumbnails
                John_Cornicello_Photo Level 2
                If you have not already, I think it would be a good idea to bring this up in the Bridge Forums at http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bb8a3bf/

Thanks!
                • 5. Re: Missing Thumbnails
                  Neil, I have a similar problem, starting a couple days ago all the new files I have downloaded are flakey with previews and thumbnails, older files are fine. Rebuilding, even moving and rebuilding from scratch the cache had no impact. I've tried almost every combination of preference settings.
                  • 6. Re: Missing Thumbnails
                    Level 1
                    I found my problem of missing thumbnails was caused by .STN files from Genuine Fractals by On One Software. There is an incompatability with this software and Vista. The On One Software site directs you to go to the common files folder and move the On One folder to the desktop. You can then delete these 3 problem files. The files cause Bridge to freeze up whenever you encounter an .STN image format file generated by Genuine Fractals. Until you move these common files you are also unable to move or delete the .STN image files that cause Bridge to hang. Hope this helps anyone else with a similar problem.
                    • 7. Re: Missing Thumbnails
                      I copied some old tiffs and psds made with PS7 onto a new disk drive and found that some of them now have thumbnails from completely different photos. I have not found any way to get PS3 to create new thumbnails without saving as a new file. If I do that, I lose the original creation date of the file.
                      • 8. Re: Missing Thumbnails
                        Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
                        Shirley,
                        >and found that some of them now have thumbnails from completely different photos.

You must be running Bridge 2.1.1.9 (the current latest version) and you are set to High-quality previews in Bridge preferences.

It's a known bug though not everyone sees it. I did on mine.

The
                        b solution
                        is to UNCHECK High-quality previews, quit and relaunch Bridge and then Purge the Cache
                        b for each folder,
                        one by one, through the Tools menu in Bridge. DO NOT use the global Purge Cache command in Bridge preferences.

It seems that we are stuck with putting up with either soft previews or with the spurious thumbnails.

:( >:(
                        • 9. Re: Missing Thumbnails
                          >I lose the original creation date of the file.

That comes from using the global Purge Cache in Bridge. The cache does NOT rebuild properly after using it. If you go through the Tools menu to purge the cache, you get the creation date line back under your thumbnails.

Also a known issue, discussed with Bridge engineers, privately and publicly on the Bridge forum last year.
                          • 10. Re: Missing Thumbnails
                            Same thing. Bridge 2119 with Version cue and assets updated also. Also, updated RAW to 431. 431 won't open any RAW files. Gives error that it's the wrong file type. Before updating to bridge 2.1 I could copy back the older version of RAW 4.0 that came with CS3 and things would work properly. Now I can't use Bridge or raw at all.

Yes I destroyed all caches and sang "diddle do waa" while ruining backwards down the Yellow Brick Road. The REAL problem is your programming staff and quality control. Nice job Adobe. Keep up the great work.

It's a good thing I back up all my program and OS files using Acronis True Image, or you'd just have cost me around 1,000US dollars in ONE day.

I have a unique idea--fix your products.
                            • 11. Re: Missing Thumbnails
                              Zippy,

We're users just like you. You're not addressing Adobe here.

It sounds like you did not install ACR 4.3.1 correctly.
                              • 12. Re: Missing Thumbnails
                                John Joslin Level 6
                                I told him that in the PS Windows forum.
                                • 13. Re: Missing Thumbnails
                                  My old laptop tried to self-destruct and catch fire, so I was forced to move a huge amount of art files to a new laptop. Now, I have no thumbnails in Photoshop (PS3 using XP Professional) and oddly enough, it appears that often entire folders and files aren't showing up when they're actually there.

I've gone through all settings that I know of and can't seen to find the 'fix'. Any clues?

(If this is not the right forum, please direct me! Thanks! )
                                  • 14. Re: Missing Thumbnails
                                    I'm not sure what you mean by not having thumbnails in Photoshop. Are you using Bridge? What kind of files are these? JPG? PSD? Raw?
                                    • 15. Re: Missing Thumbnails
                                      Level 1
                                      I never could use bridge previously because of processor issues. The files that aren't showing up appear to be the psd's, tifs, some jpg's, and I don't have raw - I'm in graphic design, not photography. I have an occasional .png but haven't had the need to find one of them yet.
                                      • 16. Re: Missing Thumbnails
                                        This is the forum for Camera Raw, so this is probably not the right place. But I still don't know where you aren't seeing the thumbnails if you aren't using Bridge. Are you talking about Windows Explorer? I'm not sure where to point you to. Maybe start with the Photoshop Windows forum at http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.ee6b366/

Give as much detail as you can when you add your topic there.

Thanks!
                                        • 17. Re: Missing Thumbnails
                                          Level 1
                                          Yup...in Windows Explorer.

Thanks for trying. I'll look there.
                                          • 18. Re: Missing Thumbnails
                                            For XP and VISTA users, there is a new (free) app called ThumbView which displays PSD thumbnails in Explorer. I found it here: http://www.seriema.net/thumbview/index.php?page=download_lite

Seems to work just fine with no side-effects, but as some have commented around here use care with CS2 and CS3 3rd pty applications.