• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot Edit Project

New Here ,
Oct 29, 2008 Oct 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Robohelp 7 HTML and I am currently working on a project. When I open my project I can view my Project Manager folders and the Table of Contents but I cannot access the topics I have created to edit them -- it does not allow me access to my existing topics. Yet, when I click on the view option I can see the topics I've alread created.

I have tried to resolve the problem as follows:

Rebooted my PC, copy and re-published the CPD file.

Thank you for your assistance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you see the Design Editor?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see the design editor window, but when I select a topic to edit, the window remains blank -- it doesn't allow me to edit anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a first. Usually the problem is someone has the dual screen setup and cannot see the editor because it is on a screen no longer connected.

Is the project on your local drive? Any source control involved? What happens if you create a new topic?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My project is on my local drive, and I am using SVN with the !SSL folder ignored. I am able to create a new topic and it will appear in the Design Editor window, however, existing topics do not appear and are not editable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then it seems that something is not allowing you to pull those topics out of source control so that you can edit them. That is a source control issue that I cannot help you with. Probably your developers would be best placed to assist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Just hazarding a guess here.

From my past experiences with different source control systems it seems that each uses what we call a "Working Folder". This folder stores copies of the files that are part of source control. When you check a file out to work on it, the source control system normally changes the status of the file to Read/Write. You edit and when the files are checked back in, they are copied from your local PC back to the server. Part of that process changes the status from Read/Write to Read Only. So it's possible that for some reason the files aren't being changed to the Read/Write status. However, if that were the case I'd be a bit confused as I would expect RoboHelp to issue some warning or whatever that alerted you to the fact it was Read Only.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 19, 2008 Dec 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this problem once again! Last time the problem resolved itself within 5 days. Again, I'll post this issue to see if anyone has any ideas...

I'm accessing my current project via ROBOHELP 7 HTML. When I click on the topic it does not appear in the editing pane yet I am able to "view" my project when I click on the eyeglass option. I am unable to edit any exisiting topics that I have created within my project.

I unchecked "read only" and applied it to my project folder but when I go back it shows "read only". I don't know if this has anything to do with my issue.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a new project outside of any source control or open one of the supplied sample projects. Does that display correctly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you tell me where I can find these samples because I have searched everywhere and cannot locate them. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In RoboHelp, click File > Open. In the dialog, look at the icons on the left side and click the icon for Samples.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I opened the Clownfish School sample and it won't pull up any pages for editing but it will allow me to view (using eyeglasses). Now what?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you should uninstall and reinstall RH.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did that before when I initially had this problem and it didn't help matters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you in a corporate environment?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I work in a corporate environment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you need to involve your IT department with a view to checking permissions.

The other thing I would try is getting them to install the trial version on a spare PC and seeing what happens there.

Also check that RH was installed with admin rights.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 23, 2008 Dec 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just an FYI...

I selected Tools, Options, Tool Locations and my project was set to Auto Select Editor. I switched it to "used default editor" and ensured the project is default is set to Robohelp WYSIWYG. I have now resolved the problem -- I am able to access and edit my project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2009 Mar 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI, I am not using source or version control and my project is on my local drive. ENW18's solution (i.e. Tools->Options->Tool Locations) worked to fix my same problem anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2009 Mar 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should have said that his solution fixed my problem as well. Also, note that this problem might have crept in for me since my company upgraded to Word 2007 after I upgraded to RoboHelp V7. I am wondering if the Word 2007 installation affected this setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2009 Mar 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Actually this has not permanently fixed the problem. I have to add a new topic each time I open before I can start editing any existing ones. I am going to start a new thread about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp