5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2009 2:02 PM by NikonD700User55

Nik Software's U-Point Technology

ArrrBee Level 1
      Hello,

I would like to see Adobe add Nik Software's U-Point technology to the image
      adjustment tools in side of Photoshop, Lightroom and ACR. I know of the
      little click and drag to adjust tools in Lightroom but they are global
      (image wide). I like the Nik U-Point because you can control the area that
      the adjustment affects. http://www.upoint.com For an idea of what I am
      looking at take a look at Nik Software's very cool Viveza plug-in.
      http://www.niksoftware.com. Having this kind of technology for the image
      adjustment tools in the three Adobe products would be killer. Imagine Levels
      and Curves with the U-Point technology.

Robert
        • 1. Re: Nik Software's U-Point Technology
          Level 1
          >Adobe add Nik Software's U-Point technology to the image
          adjustment tools in side of Photoshop, Lightroom and ACR

That'll be a cold day in heck (you know what I wanted to write).

There's no way Adobe would either steal (take without permission) or license that tech. Adobe has their own array of talent that could arguably to a far better job of allowing the functionality.
          • 2. Re: Nik Software's U-Point Technology
            ArrrBee Level 1
            Hey, if Adobe could do better go for it. I have no problem with that.
            However, like it or not that type of editing and the way Nik Software has
            done it is bloody brilliant and is so far better than anything Adobe has
            done to date. Though the little controls in Lightroom are similar they don't
            allow for limiting the effect to a specific part of the image and they don't
            allow for adjusting settings at the point of origin, both things that make
            U-Point superior to anything Adobe has.

I am sure Adobe can do something similar and better. Frankly it is time
            Adobe starts looking for new and innovative ways to allow their users to
            apply adjustments and such that isn't so 1980's. It is the 21st century and
            high time they start looking for new and better ways of doing things. I hope
            they can do it. Though I have my doubts. So far Adobe hasn't been exactly
            stellar in the creative and innovation areas. Photoshop by an large is
            getting a little long in the tooth in the technology and user interaction
            area. And, unfortunately, Lightroom pretty well shows that Adobe is probably
            not up to the task. U-Point technology is unique, user friendly, easy to use
            and understand and very innovative.

Robert
            • 3. Re: Nik Software's U-Point Technology
              Hudechrome-sd9sPI Level 2
              I'll second that so far as Dfine is concerned. The way you enter, set the measurement parameters and exit, all the time in a welcoming place to be, is excellent.

The noise control is pretty good too! :D
              • 4. Re: Nik Software's U-Point Technology
                Dennis 1111 Level 2
                > U-Point technology is unique, user friendly, easy to use
                and understand and very innovative.

. . . and in the case of Viveza is $250!!!!!

Cripes - I guess if Adobe determined that we'd all be willing to shell out an additional $250 for PS, they would probably include an ESP adjustment interface. :)
                • 5. Re: Nik Software's U-Point Technology
                  NikonD700User55

I agree. I've been using image editing software since I was in computer science college 15 years ago to today when I do semi-pro photog. I've used LR since the very first beta. But the U-point tool by Nik just blows every other tool away. I'm just talking about the actual tool - the u-point color point drop tool. That's why so many folks rave about it in the Nikon world, as it is included in Capture NX2. In fact even though the free Nikon converter does not include it and you have to upgrade to NX2 (even for those who bought a $3000 pro body) I will end up buying CNX2 just for that tool, as do so many Nikon users. It really is that good. I've actually thought about not using LR3 and using CNX2 just because of it. But the workflow of that system is not acceptable.