33 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2008 12:25 AM by (Zippy_Slasijjassaw)

Camera RAW 431 won't work on my Vista 64 machine.

Vista 64
      CS3

Camera RAW 431 won't work on my Vista 64 machine. I keep getting the error that it's the wrong file type when trying to open the RAW file, and I get no thumbnails. I've deleted all cache files manually--not using the Adobe help because their wrong about their file locations, that's for Windows XP and not Vista. (You can't access "Documents and Settings" in Vista, and there is no:
      Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats

Vista:Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats

I even uninstalled the entire CS3 Suite and reinstalled it. It still won't work. In fact, I can't even use the old raw plugin file anymore--it now won't open RAW files either.

Anyway, I just need a confirmation that Camera RAW 431 actually works in Vista 64, since the directions do not in the least relate to Vista 64, but, rather, Windows XP, and the method used to get RAW 431 to work in Vista 64.

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Camera RAW 431 won't work on my Vista 64 machine.
          John Joslin Level 6
          Did you see my other reply in the PS forum?
          • 2. Re: Camera RAW 431 won't work on my Vista 64 machine.
            can someone pleas link to the solution to this problem
            • 3. Re: Camera RAW 431 won't work on my Vista 64 machine.
              Level 1
              John no. I have a really hard time navigating the Adobe forums. Can you post a link to your thread?
              • 5. Re: Camera RAW 431 won't work on my Vista 64 machine.
                Level 1
                John I found your message. I tried reinstalling the entire package and then copying over the new ACR file, without anything else in the directory. ACR still won't function. Some people in the Luminous Landscape forums think it's an incompatibility with VIsta 64 OSs and the new RAW converter. I wonder if anyone has tried the new ACR update on Vista 64?

I've deleted all the caches in Vista--no help from the Abode website because the paths are for XP, not Vista. It's very strange that Adobe either does not understand the pathing and "roaming" file differences in Vista compared to XP, or they don't really have the time to address those differences, opting for a "Most people will be ok" point of view. Just pure speculation, but that speculation is backed up by the instructions on the Adobe website that are WRONG for Vista 64 users.

I really don't care what the problem is. I just need to get it fixed, or move to a different RAW platform. Photoshop seems to be unaffected in that it still opens all other files.
                • 6. Re: Camera RAW 431 won't work on my Vista 64 machine.
                  Omke Oudeman Level 5
                  Due to some spam attackers links don't seem to work properly every now and then

It's not as difficult as it seems. Go to the top of this page and use the blue links under the User to User forum line.

If you start at the Adobe Product forums and choose Adobe Photoshop or Adobe Bridge this will guide you to the different platform based forums and this Raw forums.

Once in the main page add this one to your favorites and you will be able to get back very quickly. Use the other links above to explore the forum rules and or FAQ's.

If you want to return to the main page in a forum use the blue link ( in this forum just called Adobe Camera Raw) at the bottom right.

have fun :-)
                  • 7. Re: Camera RAW 431 won't work on my Vista 64 machine.
                    John Joslin Level 6
                    I thought a fresh install
                    i did
                    put the ACR plug-in in that folder it did in XP.

For some crazy reason all versions of the plug-in have exactly the same name, so do a system-wide search for
                    b Camera Raw.8bi.
                    You may find the original, which you can replace with the latest. Move all others versions to a separate location.
                    • 8. Re: Camera RAW 431 won't work on my Vista 64 machine.
                      Level 1
                      I actual have been doing some research and found that Vista will copy certain files to a Virtual folder and use that copy. The explanation said that only "old" software would be subject to this intervention--for valid security reasons. Now today I'm on my laptop, and Search can't even find the RAW plugin on my system, but RAW works.

I'm starting to believe that the RAW plugin will need to be hunted down and "that version" copied over.

Now since I could not get the RW plugin to work on my work station, even after reloading the entire CS3 Suite, I uninstalled it and manually went through teh registry and deleted all entries associated with "Adobe."

I reloaded the CS3 Suite and now I'm back in business. But here is the strange thing. I copied, once again, the RAW plugin to the directory--nonvirtual--and the RAW convert works, but still version 4, not the updated version. So I copied the file to the virtual location also. No effect, but the ACR now works, albeit with the older version--I think. It says 4.0 in the top left of the ACR screen.

I actually just copied the RAW plugin over on my laptop, but the plugin in Photoshop>Help says ver4.0
                      • 9. Re: Camera RAW 431 won't work on my Vista 64 machine.
                        I don't believe it's Vista 64bit. Both 4.31 and now 4.4 are working on my 64bit vista workstation.
                        • 10. Re: Camera RAW 431 won't work on my Vista 64 machine.
                          Level 1
                          Did you install them manually, or automatically?

Where exactly did you copy the new RAW file (full path)?

Interestingly enough, I just copied the file over the the x86 directory I gave above--the only directory the file resides in, and I'm still not getting anything but Camera Raw 4.0.

I'm beginning to think that this is a Vista problem, for sure. I will say that once I manually cleaned the registry of Adobe, the new install runs much, much faster in all ways. This may have been due to a beta version being installed a long time ago.

At this point, I have no idea what Vista is doing with that file. I'm completely stumped.
                          • 11. Re: Camera RAW 431 won't work on my Vista 64 machine.
                            Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
                            >I'm still not getting anything but Camera Raw 4.0.

Locate the ACR 4.0 plug-in and replace it with 4.4.

Read the FAQs (on the same page where you added this topic) for the correct path.
                            • 12. Re: Camera RAW 431 won't work on my Vista 64 machine.
                              Level 1
                              The only place it shows doing a search in Vista are the two locations I've already posted. I have followed the directions, and I have them memorized at this point. I have read the FAQs. if you have any new information, please post it. Reiterating what is already known does not help. I will read the FAQ ONCE more in case I have missed something.

I can take a screen shot of where Adobe says the file resides and post it for you if you want--it ain't there.

Here are the only two locations Search can find the file:
                              C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats

C:\Users\Zeus\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats

Now there may be other locations, but Search is not finding them. All search functions are set in advance and reveal hidden and system files are also checked.
                              • 13. Re: Camera RAW 431 won't work on my Vista 64 machine.
                                Level 1
                                Zippy,

"C:\Program Files (x86)\" is the location of 32-bit apps (like Photoshop CS3) in 64-bit Vista. It is known as simply "C:\Program Files\" in all 32-bit editions of Windows. Since the vast majority of Windows/Photoshop users are likely still on a 32-bit platform, it is understandable why the instructions omit the 64-bit specific folder path.

The VirtualStore copy indicates that at some point, you (or Photoshop) attempted a programmatic update of the file, and it attempted to write into the restricted Common Files folder. Vista redirected that to the VirtualStore folder instead. On my 64-bit Vista install, I have no Adobe files in there at all... this is likely due to my insistence on manual updates.

I would try this:

1. Backup all your personal Photoshop files (actions, palettes, window positions, keyboard shortcuts, brushes, etc.).

2. Uninstall Photoshop CS3 as best you can.

3. Manually delete all Photoshop-related folders inside the VirtualStore. You may have to look inside both the virtualised "Program Files (x86)\Common Files" and "Program Files (x86)\Adobe" folders.

4. Run the WinCS3Clean script to ensure there are no problematic bits left over from your beta CS3 install. I'm hoping your manual excursion through the Windows registry did not hurt more than it helped.

5. Reinstall CS3 and manually update the "Camera Raw.8bi" plugin. I put mine in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats\".

Depending on how your OS is configured, it may be easier if you login as Administrator first. Photoshop CS3, Bridge 2.1, ACR 4.4 (and all previous versions) and Lightroom 1.4 (and all previous versions) work as expected on my 64-bit Vista machine here, so this is not a general compatibility issue.
                                • 14. Re: Camera RAW 431 won't work on my Vista 64 machine.
                                  Level 1
                                  Brain,

I actually did use that script a long time ago. However, I wanted to make sure the registry was clean so i did it manually. No, there are no problems. CS3 actually runs better now than it ever did after i cleaned the reg manually. I might add I went in a deleted all the cache files and folders too. Then reloaded CS3 PS.

After I installed PSCS3 I copied the file over the the x86 folder too. This time it had no affect. I keep getting ACR 4.0 in the title bar. I wonder where Vista is stashing this version that PS uses even after I've copied the file over?

It is good to know that this is not a Vista 64 compatibility issue.

But here is a good one for you: I just deleted Camera Raw.8bi from both locations:
                                  C:\Users\Zeus\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats

Guess what? I can still use ACR, but it's version 4.0. There are no no searchable ACR plugin files on my computer accessible to PS, unless it can track them down in RAR files. Nice huh?

OK, so I start ACR and watch the old copy be recreated by Windows in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats location. I have no idea how Windows is storing this file and recreating it, like a self replicating virus.

So ok I'll copy the new version back over the old version. Now the new version is there, and it stays there at it is a bigger file 10.1MB vs 9.7MB). However, ACR opens with version 4.0.
                                  • 15. Re: Camera RAW 431 won't work on my Vista 64 machine.
                                    Level 1
                                    Well, I've never heard of the "Camera Raw.8bi" magically reappearing, as you are suggesting it does. You're sure you don't have any third-party file versioning or checkpointing software installed?

So you are saying you can delete all copies of "Camera Raw.8bi" that you can find (including any that you may have renamed), but CS3 will still bring up ACR 4.0 when you open a raw file. And that first time you attempt to open a raw file, something creates a "Camera Raw.8bi" file inside the "File Formats" folder? You see it appear in Explorer in real-time as soon as ACR is invoked?

Install Procmon (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx), learn how to use it, and track down the relevant file activity when you start up Photoshop or Bridge. At this point, it sounds like something specific to your system.
                                    • 16. Re: Camera RAW 431 won't work on my Vista 64 machine.
                                      John Joslin Level 6
                                      Now we have the magically appearing "Camera Raw.8bi" on the one hand and the Invisible "Camera Raw.8bi" on the other!

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bb6a869.3c065412/4
                                      • 17. Re: Camera RAW 431 won't work on my Vista 64 machine.
                                        Level 1
                                        We live in strange times, John!!!
                                        • 18. Re: Camera RAW 431 won't work on my Vista 64 machine.
                                          Level 1
                                          Brian,

That is exactly what happened. I watched it reappear in real time. However, today I'm trying it again after flushing my system from a restart. It did not replicate the file this time and would not open the file. Now I'll try to copy the file over again and see what happens. OK now it won't open the files at all. What I'll do now is delete all of the copies I can find doing a search, like last night. Then after a restart and BEFORE starting or trying to start ACR I'll copy the file over.

I have to go to work right now but when I get home I'll post the results.
                                          • 19. Re: Camera RAW 431 won't work on my Vista 64 machine.
                                            Level 1
                                            Breain,

I just saw that Procmon software--nice. I'll do that. In the mean time, do you know the registry entry that tells Abobe where ACR is? I'd like to have a look at that just to see what it is saying.
                                            • 20. Re: Camera RAW 431 won't work on my Vista 64 machine.
                                              Level 1
                                              This is new:

On doing a search for the Camera Raw.8bi I just got this error:

Runtime Error!

Program C:\Windows\SysWOW64\DLLHost.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the applications support blah blah.

And then when I close the dialog box, I get this:

Archive Open Error

An error occurred when opening the backup achieve:
                                              Cannot continue the operation due to either the backup is corrupted or it is used by another process, for example the backup has been mounted as a disk.

This may not be related to the ACR problem. It is interesting though because there is correlation with the search and a "backup archive."
                                              • 21. Re: Camera RAW 431 won't work on my Vista 64 machine.
                                                Level 1
                                                I think the error was from an Acronis' backup file. This is unrelated. I have restarted and now I can't get ACR to load at all, no matter where I put the new RAW plugin file.
                                                • 22. Re: Camera RAW 431 won't work on my Vista 64 machine.
                                                  >no matter where I put the new RAW plugin file

There is
                                                  b only one
                                                  correct location for the ACR plug-in. Follow the instructions to the letter.

You can only have
                                                  b ONE
                                                  instance of the plug-in, so you must delete the old one and place the new one right where the old one was.
                                                  • 23. Re: Camera RAW 431 won't work on my Vista 64 machine.
                                                    Level 1
                                                    That's clear, crisp, and to the point, and correct--except for one thing. I can PROVE to you what is happening if I wanted to. I could allow you to connect to my computer and see for yourself.

I understand the instructions perfectly. You seem not to understand that the location, and Brain Tao has explained this, doe not correspond on Vista 64 machines.

For the last time for other who wish to post useless information: There is no:

C:\Program Files\Common files\Adobe path on Vista 64 machines.
                                                    or at least on my machine.

I can't copy the file to a nonexistent directory!

Also, when I do a fresh install of PS, and even after manually taking it's registry keys out, and after deleting ALL copies of Camera Raw, the file will generate in the "local" directory, also as explained above.

Please refer to the above discussion.
                                                    • 24. Re: Camera RAW 431 won't work on my Vista 64 machine.
                                                      Zippy,

I was only commenting on your own nonsensical statement:
                                                      >no matter where I put the new RAW plugin file
                                                      • 25. Re: Camera RAW 431 won't work on my Vista 64 machine.
                                                        Level 1
                                                        If you know how to solve my problem please post it.
                                                        • 26. Re: Camera RAW 431 won't work on my Vista 64 machine.
                                                          Level 1
                                                          Zippy,

I am not intimately familiar with Acronis, but I know some of its functionality can place deep hooks into the system... is it possible that it is somehow interfering here? I do know that software exists to watch and "protect" certain files, automatically replacing them if changed, etc. Of course, the software needs to be configured to do so in the first place, and I would expect you to tell us that if this is the case.

I removed the "Camera Raw.8bi" file, started up both Bridge and Photoshop, and neither were able to open a raw file. The plug-in file did not magically reappear anywhere (nor did I expect it to). There is something specific to your system causing this, which means the rest of us can no longer help.

As I mentioned, learn to use Procmon's file I/O tracing capabilities to provide clues as to what processes are performing what actions on your system. Good luck.
                                                          • 27. Re: Camera RAW 431 won't work on my Vista 64 machine.
                                                            Level 1
                                                            Yeah it does dig deep. I just received CSR information on how to manually remove Acronis, and I just did. Took about 20 minutes of digging. I just removed CS3 and have gone through the registry and deleted it's PS related keys.

What I am hoping, which I doubt, is that Acronis was using a backed up file automatically, which I never told it to do, by calling it out of the .tib backup image file.

I will be very pissed at Acronis if this was actually happening. I just really can't think that was the case; however, after I restart and reinstall, we shall see. I'll post the results.

BTW--thanks a lot for the help. At least you helped me track the problem to specifics.
                                                            • 28. Re: Camera RAW 431 won't work on my Vista 64 machine.
                                                              Level 1
                                                              I uninstalled and manually removed the keys from the registry, and manually deleted other remnants of each program. Before I started ACR I copied the new ACR file to the

location. Then I started ACR and then shut down PS. The file was copied to

Both files are 10.1 MB and show the new file date, so at least that worked.

The problem is that in ACR the title bar still shows ACR 4.0. When calling it from PS under Help>Plugins, it shows 4.0 also.

I don't have time to figure out Windows idiosyncrasies at this point. I've spent around 30 hours trying to figure out this problem. I'll just use Canon's RAW converter until CS4 comes out with the embedded ACR that works with the Canon 1DS MKIII.

Let's just say that with the Vista 64 version I have, RAW cannot and will not update in CS3.

Thanks for all who tried to help.
                                                              • 29. Re: Camera RAW 431 won't work on my Vista 64 machine.
                                                                John_Cornicello_Photo Level 2
                                                                Here is something that goes against all the rules. But if you would be OK with only Photoshop (not Bridge) being able to use the Raw filter, you could do a test and put it in the Photoshop CS3/Plug-Ins\File Formats folder and see if Photoshop recognizes it there. As I noted, it won't work with Bridge or any other CS3 apps that work with raw files.
                                                                • 30. Re: Camera RAW 431 won't work on my Vista 64 machine.
                                                                  Level 1
                                                                  John,

Thanks. PS actually is now showing the ACR 4.4 plugin, but it also has the other one in it too, viewed from:
                                                                  Photoshop-Help-Plugins.

Before I delete any of the copies in the "normal" location, what steps do you think I should take to allow 4.4 to work, at least in PS?

I assume I can still open RAW files "through" bridge by choosing "Open With-Photoshop?"

I'm sure the two version will conflict the way it is now, however. Let me know, and thanks.
                                                                  • 31. Re: Camera RAW 431 won't work on my Vista 64 machine.
                                                                    John_Cornicello_Photo Level 2
                                                                    Hi Zippy.

Unfortunately, I don't know zip about Vista (32 or 64)! I was just trying a test to see if Camera Raw would recognized in the Photoshop folder structure and get you working in a minimal way.

I would expect that "open with Photoshop" in Bridge should work with it in this location.

As for the others, I'd search out any and all Camera Raw.8bi files on the system and list where they are located in a reply here. That might give a clue as to what is going on.
                                                                    • 32. Re: Camera RAW 431 won't work on my Vista 64 machine.
                                                                      Level 1
                                                                      John,

I've tracked down the plugin and it resides in only two locations: the two stated above.

What I could do it just delete the ACR in those two folders and then use "open in photoshop" I suppose. Well, and in any event, I'll trouble shoot it again and see if I can at least get 4.4 to work in photoshop. That should allow me, if it does work, to have a viable workaround.
                                                                      • 33. Re: Camera RAW 431 won't work on my Vista 64 machine.
                                                                        Level 1
                                                                        I left both 4.0 and 4.4 loaded. I can use "Open in PS" and PS uses the 4.4 plugin. SO thanks to John, I have a workaround now. If I double click on the raw file, it opens with Bridge's copy of it at 4.0

It's not fixed, but at least I can use it.