6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2008 2:10 PM by Hopsternew

ACR 3.6 Leica M8 camera profile

Hopsternew Level 1
      Hi, I have CS2 premium suite on Windows XP. This included ACR3.6 that I can access either via PS or Bridge. I have installed ACR 3.7 update. Bridge recognises the new Raw plug-in when I opened it. I have imported DNG files from Leica M8. I think that there may be an option to select a Leica M8 profile under the 'calibrate' tab. The only option I have for a profile is ACR 3.6. I know that the generic profile does work with my Leica M8 DNGs. I think that there is also a profile specific to that camera. Any help to find this or explain my mistake would be appreciated.
        • 1. Re: ACR 3.6 Leica M8 camera profile
          Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
          >The only option I have for a profile is ACR 3.6

That ONLY means that the latest profile for your camera has not changed since ACR 3.6.

So what you are seeing is normal and expected. :)
          • 2. Re: ACR 3.6 Leica M8 camera profile
            Hopsternew Level 1
            Hi Ramon. Thank you for you reply. I think that the Leica M8 is a special case. I read several references saying that it does have its own profile.
            ACR 3.6 also adds support for the Leica M8 camera. This below from a reply to a post by John Nack at the end of 2006. But maybe this is out of date and no longer true?
            http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2006/10/camera_raw_36_n.html

"The Leica M8 uses DNG as its raw file format. In principle it doesn't need ACR to add support for it. In fact, all ACRs from 2.3 onwards support the Leica M8.
            But Adobe have added their own profile for the M8 to ACR 3.6. Users have the choice of whether to use Leica's profile which is embedded in the DNG file, or Adobe's profile which is now built into ACR.
            This choice comes from the "Camera profile" drop-down menu in the Calibrate tab. Most cameras using DNG are not separately supported by Adobe - they don't need to be. This one is an exception."
            • 3. Re: ACR 3.6 Leica M8 camera profile
              JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
              To a certain extent, that information became obsolete as soon as 3.7 was released. ACR will use camera profiles created by Adobe even for DNG files, if it can find a profile for the camera. Your camera was added to the list of supported cameras in the version 3.6. So ACR is telling you what profile it is using to do the conversion. That is the only profile available for your camera.

The latest version of ACR, version 4.4, has new profiles for just about every camera supported. But that version of ACR is only compatible with Photoshop CS3 and the later versions of Photoshop Elements.
              • 4. Re: ACR 3.6 Leica M8 camera profile
                Hopsternew Level 1
                Thank You Jim. I am still puzzled by the reference to a special case for the M8, with a separate selectable profile. I could not see that with ACR 3.6 nor ACR 3.7 now. However, I have just ordered CS3 so I shall be moving to ACR 4.4 once that is installed. It will be very interesting to see which profiles are available.
                • 5. Re: ACR 3.6 Leica M8 camera profile
                  Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
                  >It will be very intersting to see which profiles are available.

I bet you will see two profiles for your camera: one labeled 3.6 and one labeled 4.4 from which you can choose. :)
                  • 6. Re: ACR 3.6 Leica M8 camera profile
                    Hopsternew Level 1
                    Thanks again. You are very likely correct! I shall post once I have the new software