30 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2008 11:03 AM by JimHess-8IPblY

ACR 4.4 and Nikon D300

Neil N
      Hi,

I'm wondering if someone here could comment officially, unofficially, or even anecdotally on whether anything re: the D300 .nef handling has been changed in 4.4. To my eyes, the image quality of the conversion, i.e. detail extraction, color accuracy, etc. seems noticeably improved. Am I imagining this?

Thanks a lot.

___
      Neil
        • 1. Re: ACR 4.4 and Nikon D300
          MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee
          Neil, 4.4 ships with new color profiles for all cameras (including the D300) which should improve color -- however, the results should only be noticeable under extreme lighting conditions (e.g., 2400 K). AFAIK detail, sharpening, etc. has not changed for the D300.

Cheers,
          Eric
          • 2. Re: ACR 4.4 and Nikon D300
            Neil N Level 1
            Thanks Eric. Guess I was just imagining it ;-)
            • 3. Re: ACR 4.4 and Nikon D300
              Eric

>4.4 ships with new color profiles for all cameras (including the D300) which should improve color

How does one make Camera Raw use the new profile (4.4) by default? I upgraded to CR 4.4 and in the profile field there are two (4.3 and 4.4) but 4.3 is the one selected by default...

Thanks!
              • 4. Re: ACR 4.4 and Nikon D300
                JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                I recall reading a while back in this forum that raw images that have been edited previously in the previous version will automatically display in ACR with that older version. Once it has been switched to the newer version, it will become the default. It is also my understanding that new images that have not been edited with ACR previously will be opened with the new profile. The little bit of work I have done recently seems to bear this out, but I'm not taking a lot of pictures right now. So I cannot tell you with absolute certainty that this is true. Try taking a new photo and then open it in ACR and see what profile is used.
                • 5. Re: ACR 4.4 and Nikon D300
                  Omke Oudeman Level 5
                  Jim

I do believe that once assigned this new profile you have the save your new standard settings again, at least that is how it worked for me :-)
                  • 6. Re: ACR 4.4 and Nikon D300
                    Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
                    My experience mirrors Jim's.
                    • 7. Re: ACR 4.4 and Nikon D300
                      Hudechrome-sd9sPI Level 2
                      OTOH, I remove the earlier versions and all I have is current. I haven't noticed anything new in the way of performance differences, but I haven't looked to see how they are opening either. If PS has no choice, how does an image still open in 4.3 which doesn't exist any more?
                      • 8. Re: ACR 4.4 and Nikon D300
                        Not following, Lawrence. :/

Of course you can have only one instance of ACR installed!

In ACR 4.4 you will also have any earlier profiles that may have been provided over time for any particular camera model, You access them through the "Name:" dropdown menu in the Calibrate tag in ACR. That's the little camera icon in the ACR window.
                        • 9. Re: ACR 4.4 and Nikon D300
                          JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                          Every version of ACR contains all of the profiles that have been created for any given camera. It has nothing to do with having other versions of ACR on your system. As I stated previously, it was mentioned that the new profile will be utilized when opening images that have not been opened in ACR previously. But if you have already edited the image with an older camera profile apparently ACR is intelligent enough to utilize that profile until you choose to the newer profile manually.

New profiles were created for all cameras in version 4.4. Therefore, except for the new cameras that were added in that version, every camera would have at least two separate profiles.
                          • 10. Re: ACR 4.4 and Nikon D300
                            Jim answered my question. "...every camera would have at least two separate profiles."

So, do I have a choice of which profile to use? I would assume my D80 falls in the category of two or more profiles in 4.4. I didn't know that so I haven't looked for it.

My inclination is to expect that opening a previously opened file in 4.3 stays 4.3, but a new one not previously opened would be 4.4.

Perhaps this information is only of academic interest, but I am curious! If you have two identical shots, one that has been opened in 4.3, but the other later in 4.4, will they agree, assuming default settings are used and are the same for both?

Thanks.
                            • 11. Re: ACR 4.4 and Nikon D300
                              JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                              Opening an image that was edited in 4.3 will utilize the old profile initially. But you can always go in and assign the new profile to that image. It is your choice. Whatever profile is assigned when the image has either been opened in PS from ACR, or the Done button is pressed, will be the profile that will be used for next time the image is opened in ACR.

As far as your question about the images being the same from the two profiles is concerned, that is something you will have to test for yourself.
                              • 12. Re: ACR 4.4 and Nikon D300
                                Thanks.

I assume the place to pick the profile is in Camera Calibration. Checking there, I see that 3.6 is the default choice, which must have been the original profile for the D80.

Switching between 3,6,and 4.4 applies the barest change to the image on screen, anyway. Assuming WYSIWYG, then it's a wash, basically.
                                • 13. Re: ACR 4.4 and Nikon D300
                                  Lawrence,
                                  >I assume the place to pick the profile is

You must have skipped my post #8, right before Jim's:

In ACR 4.4 you will also have any earlier profiles that may have been provided over time for any particular camera model, You access them through the "Name:" dropdown menu in the Calibrate tag in ACR. That's the little camera icon in the ACR window.
                                  • 14. Re: ACR 4.4 and Nikon D300
                                    Sorry, Ramon. Didn't mean to ignore you. I did see it but when I went back to ACR to muck around with it, Bridge had suddenly corrupted upon opening, so I had to fix that. Reset Prefs didn't work the first time so I had to do it again, then I went in to see if I had any problems triggering that corruption. By the time I came back, I had it figured and Jim's explanation of picking the proper profile caught my attention, so I checked that out. Didn't mean to slight you!

I recently installed a third party app from Russel Brown. When I checked all my settings, I found they had installed a startup script in Bridge, so I disabled it. I'll probably uninstall it as it turns out I already do what the major part of that app does, so I don't need it.

So, thanks to both of you! :-)
                                    • 15. Re: ACR 4.4 and Nikon D300
                                      Lawrence,
                                      >third party app from Russel Brown.

Russell Brown is no more a "third party" to Photoshop than Thomas Knoll. Well, almost. :)

If you're talking about Dr. Brown's Services, you'd be a fool to uninstall it. Russell Brown is the author of the Image Processor that comes as part of the application, and his Dr. Brown's Services is like the Image Processor on steroids.
                                      • 16. Re: ACR 4.4 and Nikon D300
                                        If I have another corruption episode, I will uninstall it, as up until now, I have not had a problem. If it isn't his program, then I would expect not to see a change. (First approximation!)

I installed it for an enhancement process I found interesting, but I also already have my own version of the same. I haven't run his long enough to come to any conclusions as to the work flow, but I do have in hand, similar outcomes with a different approach. Of course, that's only one use, but overall, stability counts for much in my work. I would rather kludge a number of steps to a result than have the software crash my system.
                                        • 17. Re: ACR 4.4 and Nikon D300
                                          JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                                          There are two contributing factors to your perception of stability of Photoshop.

1. Bridge. It isn't stable and probably won't be in this version. Hopefully, CS4. Some things just happen, and then don't, and then happen differently. And nobody can figure out why. I have discovered workarounds for some problems, and Bridge seems to be fairly stable on my computer. For instance, I only apply settings to multiple images when I have Bridge in the light table mode (no side panels displayed). If I have any side panels open and I try to apply settings to multiple images, Bridge crashes every time on my computer. I have other little tidbits, but I won't bore you with them.

2. Windows Vista. Some people get along just fine with it. Others seem to be plagued with problems. I haven't followed the discussions closely, but it seems from the little bit of reading I have done that it is the people who are using the 64 bit version who are having the most problems.

As far as Russell Brown's stuff is concerned, it is really doubtful that any of that is causing problems on your computer. I use his plug-ins all the time. He is a real gem.
                                          • 18. Re: ACR 4.4 and Nikon D300
                                            I know Russell has a good reputation. (He really needs to quit doing his own video narration, though!) But good troubleshooting practices dictate the isolation of recently installed software as a first step in problem resolution. And from reading your comments, Jim, doubly so, as I don't have the problems you do. I operate both side panels as ongoing data presentation is important in certain cases involving multiple images. So the appearance of a sudden corruption (well, when are they ever not sudden?) signals awareness of the environment for recent changes.

These settings to multiple images. Are they implemented in ACR via Bridge or directly in Bridge, and if in Bridge, what type of settings to multiple images are you applying?
                                            • 19. Re: ACR 4.4 and Nikon D300
                                              JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                                              In ACR you can create presets for different situations. Those presets can be saved and named. For instance, I have a preset that just sets the clarity and sharpening settings, and I like to use those settings on most of my images. In Bridge, when you right click on one of your images you will see a list of all of your presets that you have created. You can click on any of those presets and Bridge will apply it to any images that are highlighted.

BTW, I think half the fun of watching Russell's tutorials is listening to him. Just lighten up a little bit and have fun with it. Life doesn't have to be so serious.
                                              • 20. Re: ACR 4.4 and Nikon D300
                                                I do have presets, but I didn't know I could directly apply them without opening ACR. I shall have a look.

I lighten up with "Everybody Loves Raymond". I put up with Russell! :D
                                                • 21. Re: ACR 4.4 and Nikon D300
                                                  I see it isn't exactly obvious as it is in ACR. You have to go to "Develop Settings" first, not exactly an intuitive way of getting to apply presets, which it never does state as in ACR. So until now, I ignored that menu.
                                                  • 22. Re: ACR 4.4 and Nikon D300
                                                    JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                                                    If you haven't got this book, it's your loss:
                                                    A must have!
                                                    • 23. Re: ACR 4.4 and Nikon D300
                                                      >Russell (He really needs to quit doing his own video narration, though!)

Absolutely NOT! He'd better keep his own voice and style. I would not have it any other way!
                                                      • 24. Re: ACR 4.4 and Nikon D300
                                                        >I lighten up with "Everybody Loves Raymond".

I can't stand that s. o. b.
                                                        • 25. Re: ACR 4.4 and Nikon D300
                                                          Really, Lawrence, you shouldn't pretend to be in a position to make judgments about ACR and/or Bridge, as you clearly haven't spent any time attempting to learn them. :/ Read the book Jim pointed out for you.
                                                          • 26. Re: ACR 4.4 and Nikon D300
                                                            I asking far more questions while stating my findings than making judgments, Ramon. Actually, you are judging me. Pretense is your bailiwick, not mine.

You don't know what I know and seem to want to jump me for asking when I don't know. That makes these kinds of threads minefields for personal attacks. And that's unfortunate.

So far as Russell's presentation, ok, cheap shot. Sorry.

Some people seem so afraid to say "I don't know" around here. That is as good an answer as any other when it applies. Otherwise, obfuscation rules.

I'm done here.
                                                            • 27. Re: ACR 4.4 and Nikon D300
                                                              >Pretense is your bailiwick, not mine.

I'm happy to let readers of this thread decide.
                                                              • 29. Re: ACR 4.4 and Nikon D300
                                                                can some one please tell me were to get the correct plugin for raw conversion for the d300 using photoshop cs2 thanks
                                                                • 30. Re: ACR 4.4 and Nikon D300
                                                                  JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                                                                  There is no direct support for your camera in ACR for Photoshop CS2. Your only alternative is to download the most recent version of the DNG converter and create Digital negative copies of your raw images. Those DNG files can then be opened in Photoshop CS2/ACR. The last version of ACR for Photoshop CS2 is version 3.7. There will be no further updates.