23 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2008 5:52 AM by (Bruce_E._Martin)

which version of RAW

Hi,
      I have CS2 with Camera Raw 2.0 (Windows XP). I've just tried to use RAW files for the first time and found that I can't import into CS2 as it doesn't recognise the file type. I have a Nikon D80, so I'm guessing this version of Camera Raw doesn't support the camera. Can anyone tell me which version of Camera Raw I should be upgrading to please ?

thanks.
        • 1. Re: which version of RAW
          JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
          I am curious to know how you got Camera Raw 2.0 together with Photoshop CS2. The 2.x versions are only compatible with Photoshop CS. The last version of camera raw that is available for CS2 is version 3.7. It is still available on the Adobe download page, and there is a link to the download page at the top of this forum. Version 3.7 does support the Nikon D80. Be sure to follow the installation instructions. The Camera Raw plug-in must be in the exact folder specified in the instructions.
          • 2. Re: which version of RAW
            Level 1
            apologies, I think I must have it wrong. It must be Photoshop CS. Does that mean I'm stumped ? Thanks for your reply.
            • 3. Re: which version of RAW
              JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
              No, not quite. You will not be able to work with your raw images directly. But the first thing you need to do is download and install Camera Raw 2.4. Again, you will find a link that will get you the download page at the top of the forum. Then, you need to download the latest version of Camera Raw and the DNG converter. Forget about the Camera Raw plug-in, but put the DNG converter on your desktop. It is a freestanding program that you can run and convert (or really create Digital negative copies) your NEF files. Those DNG files can then be opened with Camera Raw 2.4. The image data is still the same data that was in your NEF file. But the DNG file is a structure that is more open. So you will have all the editing capability that Camera Raw 2.4 has to offer. The only downside is that you won't have all of the controls that are available in the new version of Camera Raw. So if you watch any tutorials that are using the new version there will be many controls that you will not have. That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with your version. It's just that Camera Raw has evolved into a much more powerful plug-in.

You will notice that I indicated that you should download the latest version of the DNG converter. Yes, that is correct, version 4.4.1. You can always use the latest version of that little program to create DNG files that can be opened with Photoshop CS and Camera Raw 2.4.
              • 4. Re: which version of RAW
                Level 1
                that's great Jim, I'll give that a try. Thanks very much for your help.
                • 5. Re: which version of RAW
                  Level 1
                  Hi Jim,
                  I've done a search for the latest version of the DNG converter 4.4.1 but I'm concerned that I may have the wrong link as it says it is the 'Adobe DNG Converter and Camera Raw 4.4.1 update', which suggests to me that it also has an update to Camera Raw 4.4.1 in it. It also says 'The Camera Raw 4.4.1 plug-in is not compatible with versions of Adobe Photoshop® earlier than Photoshop CS3'.

I've not been able to find a download for just the DNG 4.4.1

This is the link I found:
                  http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3903

thanks again.
                  • 6. Re: which version of RAW
                    PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional
                    Download the combo, trash the ACR plug-in, and use the DNG converter.
                    The mixing of the plug-in with the converter in the download is misleading.
                    • 7. Re: which version of RAW
                      JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                      The DNG converter is never packaged by itself. It is always package with the Camera Raw plug-in. All you have to do is drag the DNG converter to your desktop, and then just disregard everything else.
                      • 8. Re: which version of RAW
                        Level 1
                        that worked a treat. Thank you very much for your help, much appreciated. Cheers.
                        • 9. Re: which version of RAW
                          JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                          Enjoy. :)
                          • 10. Re: which version of RAW
                            Hi all,
                            I too have a D80 and CS2, and use a Mac Mini G4. I've searched all locations for ACR 3.7, and they are there okay. However, when I open an NEF file, the Camera Profile (under the Calibrate tab)on the ACR screen says 3.6.
                            Does this mean I have ACR 3.6 somewhere on my system? I've searched the entire computer for Camera Raw.plugin, but ony 3.7 shows up.
                            I am flumoxed.
                            Any and all help appreciated.
                            • 11. Re: which version of RAW
                              John_Cornicello_Photo Level 2
                              All that means is that the profile for your camera is at ver 3.6. That is not the same thing as the Camera Raw version number. TO see the Camera Raw version number go into Photoshop > (Help) ABout Plugins > Camera Raw.
                              • 12. Re: which version of RAW
                                Level 1
                                Thank very much, John. I guess I ought to bug Nikon Nikon to update?
                                • 13. Re: which version of RAW
                                  Level 1
                                  Make that just one Nikon, lol.
                                  • 14. Re: which version of RAW
                                    John_Cornicello_Photo Level 2
                                    No, nothing to do with Nikon. The camera profiles don't get updated with each version of Camera Raw. My cameras are using profiles in the 2.x range because that was when they were profiled and added to Camera Raw.

If you update to CS3 and Camera Raw 4.4.1 you will see that many cameras have a second profile (4.4) available. But for CS2 you have the latest version.
                                    • 15. Re: which version of RAW
                                      Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
                                      Patrick,

To expand on John's replies: The number you see denotes the last version of ACR at which Adobe updated the profile from your camera. It may well NEVER change.

As a matter of fact, or your version of Ps (Cs2) there will not be a newer version of ACR ever, guaranteed, so the number you are seeoing is also guaranteed NEVER to change.
                                      • 16. Re: which version of RAW
                                        Level 1
                                        Thank you, John and Ramón. I've been a avid photographer for over 40 years but just recently joined the "new" world of digital. It's like learning a whole new language, nevermind the technology. However, I'm really enjoying the challenge and the huge benefits of digital.
                                        As an aside, I believe I've tried every qaulity RAW processor, including One, DxO, Aperture, Lightroom, and my vote goes to Capture NX, at least for NEFs. Anyone beg to differ?
                                        Thanks again.
                                        Patrick
                                        • 17. Re: which version of RAW
                                          Can not get Camera RAW to work in CS2 by following all the directions in this thread. When I load a ".dnf" file in CS2 it replies that it is "Unable to use the camera raw plug-in. It is not compatible with this version of Photoshop". I've downloaded the Camera raw.8bi file (6.720MB) listed as version 3.7 and said to be for Photoshop CS2. It is in the correct location in the Program Files. It is being run with Vista Home Premium on a nearly new quad-core HP.
                                          Anyone have any idea why CS2 won't run the raw file?
                                          • 18. Re: which version of RAW
                                            JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                                            Bill,

From the same location where you downloaded version 3.7 there is a readme file that will list all the cameras supported by that version. If your camera is not on that list then you will have to download and use the latest version of the DNG converter to create digital negative copies of your raw images. Those can be opened by ACR 3.7.
                                            • 19. Re: which version of RAW
                                              Level 1
                                              There appears to be an error in Adobe's "Read Me" file for installing Camera Raw V3.7 into Photoshop CS2. To run the Camera Raw program in CS2 it MUST be loaded into this location:
                                              "Program Files/Adobe/Photoshop CS2/Plug-ins/File Formats"

The Camera Raw V3.7 WILL NOT RUN in the following location which is specified in the Read Me file for Camera Raw Windows installation.
                                              "Program Files/Common Files/Adobe/Plug-ins/CS2/File Formats"

I have spent many hours trying to get the camera raw function to run on my Windows Vista computer without success. It was only when I looked at the Camera Raw file locations in my Photoshop Elements V6 program that the error was revealed. PE6 uses this location:
                                              "Program Files/Adobe/Photoshop Elements 6.0/Plug-ins/File Formats"

How about that!!
                                              • 20. Re: which version of RAW
                                                JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                                                Bruce,

Don't know what to tell you. That is precisely where Camera Raw is installed on my computer here at work, and I have no problems using it. Are you running Photoshop CS2 or Photoshop Elements, or both?
                                                • 21. Re: which version of RAW
                                                  Level 1
                                                  Don't know where you got that line, but here's the CR 3.7 Read Me regarding installation:

"To install with Adobe Creative Suite 2 or Photoshop CS2:

1. Exit Photoshop CS2.
                                                  2. Open My Computer.
                                                  3. Double-click Local Disk (C:).
                                                  4. Navigate to: (Please read directory carefully)

Program Files/Common Files/Adobe/Plug-Ins/CS2/File Formats

5. Move the existing Camera Raw.8bi plug-in to another location (for example, a new folder on your desktop). Ensure you keep this version in case you need to revert back.
                                                  6. Copy the Camera Raw plug-in, Camera Raw.8bi, from the download into the same folder as Step 4.
                                                  7. Launch Photoshop CS2 or Adobe Bridge.

NOTE: If generic camera thumbnails appear in Adobe Bridge, please follow the these steps:

1. Check to make sure the plug-in was installed in the correct directory in Step 6 above.
                                                  2. Start Adobe Bridge.
                                                  3. Choose Tools > Cache > Purge Central Cache. "

The correct place to install is indeed "Program Files/Common Files/Adobe/Plug-ins/CS2/File Formats" . The install location for Elements is different.

You can read the full Read Me on the download page HERE

That's where ya gotta install it if you want both Bridge and Photoshop to be able work work as expected...
                                                  • 22. Re: which version of RAW
                                                    Thomas Knoll Level 2
                                                    Bruce (#19):

Installing Camera Raw in the incorrect folder that you did will work for Photoshop, but Bridge will NOT see the plug-in. So if you plan on NEVER using Bridge, that is OK. Otherwise you should correct you installation and put the plug-in in the correct place.

The Adobe read me file is correct.
                                                    • 23. Re: which version of RAW
                                                      Level 1
                                                      Thanks to Tom, Jeff and Jim for the replies/comments.

I tried Bridge with the Camera Raw add-in in the "wrong" location to test it. Guess what...it works! No kidding...no problem at all!!!

Both Adobe Photoshop CS2 and Adobe Photoshop Elements V6 are on my machine.

The "read me" instructions you sent (Jeff) for the installation of the Camera Raw plug-in (3.7) are the same that I downloaded and followed very carefully. Unfortunately, I never could get the plug-in to work when the camera raw file was located where the instructions direct.

Perhaps my copy of Photoshop has some unknown quirk in the programming or somehow has become corrupted but it only sees the add-in when it is in the "wrong" location.

It will be interesting to see what happens if I ever upgrade Photoshop.

Best regards.... Bruce