2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2008 4:19 AM by Joseph Elfelt

Jeff Schewe - More capture sharpening examples?

Joseph Elfelt Level 1
      Jeff,

I confess to being a bit frustrated at how difficult it is proving to be to learn how to apply optimal capture sharpening (source+content) in ACR (v. 4.4.1). Yes, I have studied Bruces sharpening book and the CS3 version of Real World Camera Raw. My goal is to decide on good settings for capture sharpening based on (1) image type and (2) my capture size and then create presets that I can use to apply that sharpening.

One thing that I believe would speed up my learning is if I could study examples of DNG files with proper capture sharpening applied according to the approach Bruce and you have written about. Recently I downloaded the example files from the RWCR website only to be disappointed to discover that just 4 of the 10 images seem to have capture sharpening applied.

Is there any possibility you would be willing to post additional DNG files with capture sharpening to help those of us that are trying to learn how to apply optimal capture sharpening in ACR but remain in a bit of a fog as to how to achieve that worthy goal? (I shoot mostly nature and will be expanding to sports and portraits.)

I did read this long thread from 2007 where Mike posted a couple of raws. http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3c0347de/111
      You responded with your choice for sharpening settings and that was very informative. Im sure a few more examples would greatly help me and, I suspect, many others. If you are not inclined to do so, thats fine - no hard feelings. Just thought I would ask.

And to all others - I surely do not intend to be ignoring your wisdom and would value your advice also. I am making a special request to Jeff since I am trying to master the methods that he has been promoting.

In particular, I am trying to get a better understanding of the radius setting in the context of capture sharpening in ACR.

1. For a given camera model, does the optimum radius setting in ACR depend only on whether the image is classified as have a low, medium or high frequency of edges? Or does the optimum radius setting also depend on the settings for detail, masking and/or possibly other items such as clarity, contrast, noise suppression, etc?

2. My present camera produces raws that average about 6MB. I plan to buy a canon 450D/XSi and I understand those raws will average around 15MB. When I am processing those larger files should I expect the optimal radius settings in ACR for low/medium/high frequency images to go up, go down, or stay the same as compared to processing my 6MB files?

3. For a given camera model, how do I go about determining the optimal ACR radius setting for low-, medium-, and high-frequency images? Is there some testing I can perform to help me zero in on this?

4. One message I got from Bruces sharpening book (p.108-113) is that in terms of content sharpening, once the optimum radius is set then there will be basically one setting for amount that will yield the best result. Do you find this rule to still be true when doing capture sharpening in ACR? In particular, I am wondering whether the existence of the detail slider has changed this rule.

My grateful thanks for any insights.
        • 1. Re: Jeff Schewe - More capture sharpening examples?
          Level 1
          > My goal is to decide on good settings for capture sharpening based on (1) image type and (2) my capture size and then create presets that I can use to apply that sharpening.

The goal is to make the image look good (no over/under sharpening) when at 100% zoom.

The settings will generally follow the basic use of higher radius for lower frequency image and lower radius for higher frequency. Thus portraits would have high radius; 1.2-1.5 and landscape images .8-.5 with the amounts set to "look good" when combined with Detail and Edge Mask.

BTW, image VB7J4404 was the only image specifically included in the RWCR downloads for showing sharpening...Martin Evening's image was not made available on purpose (because it's a model shot and it's by Martin who didn't wish to allow a raw file to be downloaded).
          • 2. Re: Jeff Schewe - More capture sharpening examples?
            Joseph Elfelt Level 1
            Good Morning Jeff,

Thanks for the info.